Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lane Johnson

1. -31
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J Tes View Post
    Let him have him. I couldn't care less about this supposed potential with Mingo. At this point he's just not a very good football player. He's a specialty player that isn't even very good at his specialty. If you're going to be a one trick pony you better be damn good at the trick...Mingo isn't. Fall in love with his "potential" all you want. Give me football players. I'll take the Zach Thomas's and beat your Mike Mamula work out warriors everytime
    I second that notion but got a feeling like he needs a big ass DT. They took the N. Carolina DE last year.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the last thing i want is mingo in our division...i would much rather see the jets take a dion jordan and face him than mingo off the edge...i'm not sure the jets would prefer mingo though cause he's at his best as a rusher with a hand in the dirt...why i think just about all the 43 teams will salivate about his upside as a 43 de...

also compared to jordan and the way he was used at oregon mingo as an olb is a much bigger projection as a 34 olb...i'm sure he could do it and do it well but ideally i think you want that kid going forward and with a hand in the dirt...dropping into the flats and a soft zone though shouldn't be much of a problem...

we'll see how much buzz mingo gets after he gets done at the combine...and drops some db like change of direction type #'s and runs a 4.5
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    what a poor guy to compare mingos potential to...mike mamula...good grief...as for a coin flip with kiko mingo i don't see it that way at all...jpp who i realize has more weight etc was not a dominant pass rush force in college neither was jj watt...but what they both had and have is rediculous tools...you can bet on guys with average tools and high en production all you want...looking around the league the guys with the elite tools like a von miller like a cam wake from a explosion and burst aspect like a jj watt like a jpp who destroys people with his quickness and his length and not so much his rush repertoire are the kind of stuff i'm taking a chance on with a top 12 pick

give me the elite edge rush physical tools i'll mold the guy into a difference maker...the way i look at things...if you don't possess em the chances you'll be truly elite become an uphill climb imo...

did you guys watch the lsu bowl game??? mingo showed off lateral agility and shot the gap so fast on the first run play on the edge the pulling guard could never even lay a hand on him...that's not average...that's special...forced a fumble on a play he practically took the hand off himself he was so quick and explosive...he's not undersized he's 6 ft 5 and vines for arms...gets off the ball with a hand in the dirt better than any edge rush prospect in this class...fires off the ball...

as for cornelius washington my problem with himis he's really been underwhelming for me when i have watched georgia tape...kind of just a guy...not popped off the screen...so when i see a guy not really show much all season and then explode on the scene in a all star setting there's a bit of a red flag for me there...but i think the mark anderson comparison off what i saw senior bowl week looks like a pretty good one...i'm not opposed to burning a 3rd round pick on the kids upside as a situational rusher...an awful lot of potential without production with washington
    I don't see comparing Barkevious Mingo to either Jason Pierre-Paul or J.J. Watt for exactly the reason you already said, those guys were bigger and stronger and more well-rounded. Especially J.J. Watt. You were never going to run into any kind of danger with him being a bust even if he wasn't the kind of pass rusher he's become. He was always going to be at worst a devastating run defender and a guy with great awareness.

Mingo's problem, the reason he doesn't finish plays, is a lack of balance and bending ability. Watt always had that, and so did Jason Pierre-Paul.

I'm not opposed to guys at 12 overall that weren't totally productive for one reason or another as pass rushers. But if we're going that route I want the guy to have the potential to be a complete player, being big and strong to go along with the athletic ability.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm one of the few on this board who thinks we may re-sign Long to a reasonable contract. I sure hope it happens. But, if it doesn't, we need to draft a LT. If either of Fisher or Johnson are available, I'd definitely see us drafting them. After Joeckel and those two go off the board, I'm not sure there's really any more starting LT's in this draft. I like Pugh as a G. Kyle Long is still too raw to start at LT immediately. Letting Jake Long go would really force our hand in the draft. I don't wanna be the 2013 Arizona Cardinasl.

I'd be much happier drafting WR's and TE's, but I'm just fine if one of the elite pass rushers falls to us too. Martin and Garner simply isn't going to work.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    well if mingo can't bend or lacks balance those things should be apparent at the combine on field work etc...i haven't seen anything like that personally but it's something to look for...
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Really good discussion hoops and CK.

I'd be OK with Mingo at 12. Going into the draft process, there was no way I wanted any O-lineman at 12, but I think Cooper and Warmack are top-flight (but they'll fall some because people don't value the LG position as much as they should), and I think Johnson is close, and I see him with the biggest upside. Picking that high, if there are top-flight guys available, I think you have to get one. I think there's a pretty good chance that some of the WR's and DE's who will be available at 42 and 54 will be better than some of the guys we're considering at 12. Draft according to the swells of talent.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    next generation

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rottenchester
    Thanks / No Thanks
    what a poor guy to compare mingos potential to...mike mamula...good grief...as for a coin flip with kiko mingo i don't see it that way at all...jpp who i realize has more weight etc was not a dominant pass rush force in college neither was jj watt...but what they both had and have is rediculous tools...you can bet on guys with average tools and high en production all you want...looking around the league the guys with the elite tools like a von miller like a cam wake from a explosion and burst aspect like a jj watt like a jpp who destroys people with his quickness and his length and not so much his rush repertoire are the kind of stuff i'm taking a chance on with a top 12 pick

give me the elite edge rush physical tools i'll mold the guy into a difference maker...the way i look at things...if you don't possess em the chances you'll be truly elite become an uphill climb imo...

did you guys watch the lsu bowl game??? mingo showed off lateral agility and shot the gap so fast on the first run play on the edge the pulling guard could never even lay a hand on him...that's not average...that's special...forced a fumble on a play he practically took the hand off himself he was so quick and explosive...he's not undersized he's 6 ft 5 and vines for arms...gets off the ball with a hand in the dirt better than any edge rush prospect in this class...fires off the ball...

as for cornelius washington my problem with himis he's really been underwhelming for me when i have watched georgia tape...kind of just a guy...not popped off the screen...so when i see a guy not really show much all season and then explode on the scene in a all star setting there's a bit of a red flag for me there...but i think the mark anderson comparison off what i saw senior bowl week looks like a pretty good one...i'm not opposed to burning a 3rd round pick on the kids upside as a situational rusher...an awful lot of potential without production with washington
    Point went right over your head. I never compared Mingo to Mamula. What I said was that you keep hanging your hat on how he's going to explode at the combine and have these great measurables, times etc. I couldn't give a crap about that nonsense. Like I said in my earlier post, give me football players, you can have your workout/combine warriors. With Mingo you're hoping he somehow figures out how to at least rush the passer with his "ridiculous tools and explosion" because up to this point he can't even do that all that well
    Quote Quote  

8. -38

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Point went right over your head. I never compared Mingo to Mamula. What I said was that you keep hanging your hat on how he's going to explode at the combine and have these great measurables, times etc. I couldn't give a crap about that nonsense. Like I said in my earlier post, give me football players, you can have your workout/combine warriors. With Mingo you're hoping he somehow figures out how to at least rush the passer with his "ridiculous tools and explosion" because up to this point he can't even do that all that well
    no it didn't go over my head...i get what you are saying and i would agree with you don't want combine warriors like a michael egnew for instance you want football players...and nothing mingo has shown on tape this and last year should be saying to you that kids not a football player...the guy pops off the screen...for a variety of reasons...one of which is lack of strength at the poa vs the run game and which i don't deny...but i'm not drafting him to be a plugger run defender i've got enough of those in house already i'm drafting him to provide difference making plays and a real spark both of which i have seen plenty of evidence of at lsu

and yeah i'm banking on the kid developing into a monster given his tools...being they are so high end...
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    next generation

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rottenchester
    Thanks / No Thanks
    no it didn't go over my head...i get what you are saying and i would agree with you don't want combine warriors like a michael egnew for instance you want football players...and nothing mingo has shown on tape this and last year should be saying to you that kids not a football player...the guy pops off the screen...for a variety of reasons...one of which is lack of strength at the poa vs the run game and which i don't deny...but i'm not drafting him to be a plugger run defender i've got enough of those in house already i'm drafting him to provide difference making plays and a real spark both of which i have seen plenty of evidence of at lsu

and yeah i'm banking on the kid developing into a monster given his tools...being they are so high end...
    The issue I have with Mingo is that he didn't really show any improvement over the last few years. He's so lean that i'm not sure he can carry anymore weight. He has a tremendous first step and he can turn the corner but he often lets the tackle recover and he lacks secondary moves to disengage. I worry that with his lean frame that he's not going to be able to hold up against the physicality of the NFL as a DE.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The issue I have with Mingo is that he didn't really show any improvement over the last few years. He's so lean that i'm not sure he can carry anymore weight. He has a tremendous first step and he can turn the corner but he often lets the tackle recover and he lacks secondary moves to disengage. I worry that with his lean frame that he's not going to be able to hold up against the physicality of the NFL as a DE.
    i get some of that...he's got a lean torso...so there's some validity to carrying more weight concerns...but again if the seahawks can pluck an undersized pass rush only talent with the #15 pick i can pluck one for the exact same thing in the early going with the potential to add weight and play a larger role...i don't think mingo is a liability on the run anywhere near the level bruce irvin is and i don't know of any te that can handle mingo one on one on the edge without getting used...

but lets also get back to the combine stuff...guys like jj watt in the top 12 vernon davis in the top 6 julio jones in the top 6 no one had them pegged to go that high and that highly thought of til they shredded the combine...that's when the buzz on those elite physical specimens took off...4.38 for jones at 230 lbs type stuff...it will be the same for mingo and for lane johnson once both these kids rip up indy...don't be surprised if there's heavy talk that lane johnson should be the first ot off the board after he gets done showing what an athlete he is...right now he's in round 1 talks and rightfully so but once he's done with the combine expect top 10 stuff...him and mingo both
    Quote Quote