Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money Talks

1. -1
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Money Talks

I lurk on here quite a bit but figured I'd chime in on something that I don't think anyone has mentioned.

This is the first FA crop of Ireland draftees. I think the true test of how well he drafted is the interest that is generated by these players in FA.

A few years ago we were letting guys go into FA and they weren't being signed by other teams but instead found themselves out of the league. I think the fact that Hartline, Long and Smith may command more money than we're willing to pay is a sign that our roster has gotten much better.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good post! I'm a lurker here too. .... Let's not become a farm team for superior teams!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gatormike View Post
    I lurk on here quite a bit but figured I'd chime in on something that I don't think anyone has mentioned.

This is the first FA crop of Ireland draftees. I think the true test of how well he drafted is the interest that is generated by these players in FA.

A few years ago we were letting guys go into FA and they weren't being signed by other teams but instead found themselves out of the league. I think the fact that Hartline, Long and Smith may command more money than we're willing to pay is a sign that our roster has gotten much better.
    Money talks. It talks about how smart or dumb you are.

Thanks Shifty!

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Ramblin' Man

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Houma, LA
    Thanks / No Thanks

If we are able to keep some of these guys even though there is interest elsewhere, it could also show that Ireland isn't as bad to work for as some people make it out to be.
    If you ever want to see a rainbow, you've got to stand a little rain.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Good post.

But last year we got a little taste of the early Ireland/Tuna picks to hit FA. Henne was one of the top QB's to hit the market last year and Langkford got a decent paycheck from the Rams.
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    they have to retain and build. they aren't rebuilding anymore, that was last season. They have to invest in Tannehill, and that means havin someone to protect his blindside. Long on a one-year franchise deal for now
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    We can not create more holes than we already have. Even if we have to overpay a few of our key positions for 1-2 years. Otherwise, our draft alone will not resolve all our problems. If we can't negotiate reasonable deals for our own guys, then we must choose who to keep, based on who is available for us to replace with. From a general viewpoint, I would breakdown our options:

1. Offensive line or defensive line: Long or Starks.
    2. Reciever or Cornerback: Hartline or Smith.
    3. Running back or TE: Bush or Fasano.

We probably can't and don't want to resign all of them, but we can't let them all walk either. I would base the decision on who is available prior to the draft, not after.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
    Good post.

But last year we got a little taste of the early Ireland/Tuna picks to hit FA. Henne was one of the top QB's to hit the market last year and Langkford got a decent paycheck from the Rams.
    he wasnt one of the top qb's. payton manning and matt flynn just off the top of my head. henne was signed as a BACKUP to a terrible Blaine Gabbert. he is a backup qb and was never thought of as a starting qb in FA.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo West CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    Money talks. It talks about how smart or dumb you are.

Ingenious... LOL

MY FAM
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why give Long $10+ million? So what if it creates a hole. $10+ million can fill other holes. If we can fill two holes with that money and only create one hole at LT, then we are ahead of the game. Giving it all to Long only prevents us from being able to fill other needs.
    Quote Quote