Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Cyprien, S, FL Int'l

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Jonathan Cyprien, S, FL Int'l

Kid looks like he has a nose for the ball and may fit the need for a playmaker in the back end. Has anyone gotten a good look at him?

I keep seeing him referred to as an in the box type and a strong safety. Free safety is a bigger need for Miami, and I'm not confident that Reshad could flip to free.

Does this kid match Miami's needs?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Reshad Jones was playing FS this past season. Chris Clemson was the SS.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No, Reshad took over Yeremiah Bell's strong safety spot, while Chris Clemons manned free safety. Reshad played closer to the line of scrimmage, covered tight ends, etc, whereas Clemons played deep and took deep coverage responsibilities.

Reshad is a closer to the line of scrimmage, in the box, type.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...ig-stri/nTXJr/
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    cyprien showed very well at the senior bowl...explosive...forceful...found the ball...better in coverage than anticipated...i liked what i saw value in the 3rd round i'd say...3rd-4th round
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Tatious View Post
    No, Reshad took over Yeremiah Bell's strong safety spot, while Chris Clemons manned free safety. Reshad played closer to the line of scrimmage, covered tight ends, etc, whereas Clemons played deep and took deep coverage responsibilities.

Reshad is a closer to the line of scrimmage, in the box, type.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...ig-stri/nTXJr/
    From the article:

A fifth-round pick out of Georgia in 2010, Jones battled Chris Clemons for the free safety job opposite Bell for his first two seasons, earning 12 starts last year when he finished fourth on the team with 62 tackles along with one interception and two sacks.

Clemons, the other starting safety, said he has seen Jones get a lot more serious about his profession over the past year.

Hes watching a lot more film now, which is something you learn to do over time, and that makes the game easier, Clemons said.
    From the same article under the picture:

Miami Dolphins free safety Reshad Jones (20) causes a fumble by Buffalo Bills wide receiver Donald Jones (19) at Ralph Wilson Stadium
    Profile on NFL.com listing Reshad Jones as....a free safety.

http://www.nfl.com/player/reshadjones/496739/profile
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    miami interchanged it's safeties a lot this season under coyle but when we went to a single high look the vast majority of it was with chris clemons the deep middle defender...jones was up near the los or floating in the intermediate level unless we were in 2 deep primarily...

imo jones played the more strong safety role...but again we play a pretty interchangeable safeties d with coyle
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Clemons was deep a lot in the single high safety looks but Jones played back there as well. Truthfully I think they were trying to hide Clemons a bit cause early on he missed some tackles at the LOS so they moved him back in coverage and he either took bad angles or was late getting over (he's not very instinctive) so Jones moved up and back depending on what Coyle called but he's been listed as the Free Safety all year.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    of course they were trying to hide clemons..his hips especially you better damn well hide em if you can...

jones took some ba angles at times also but for the most part if you got to him you were going down...clemons guys ran around a lot...all comes back to those awful hips
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I watched as many clips of Cyprien last week as I could find, having seen how he did in practices.

VERY physical. You know when you've been hit by Cyprien. Seems to have good technique, wraps guys up well, rarely lets a player escape. Occasionally steams in too hard and gets beaten with a step. No sign that I've seen of him stripping the ball in the tackle. For a SS you don't see as much of him stopping the run as you'd expect, but he's effective when he does.

Against the pass, his man coverage is generally very good - though I've seen him let the DB get between him and the ball in the endzone.

He's quick, he takes good angles and is often FIU's last line of defense when other players have given up the chase. He's amazingly conditioned - I'd say he's in better shape than a good few NFL SS's. He's pretty fluid, above average for his position with good balance and smooth hips for direction change.

His play-reading skills aren't the best, imo. He finds himself on the wrong side of plays a lot where he has to seriously hustle to get into position - a lot of the time it's not quick enough even for him.

I know his stock has risen because of the Senior Bowl, but he's definitely a work in progress on the game-reading side of things. Out of the gate he wouldn't be an upgrade over Clemons but over time might develop into a force. I think he's probably better suited to FS or at least a Coyle-type scheme where they are interchanged.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've seen him play in person. Doesn't really stand out to me. He'll probably be a second string/developmental project.
    Miami Dolphins '13: 0-0-0
    Quote Quote