Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st round WR Ranking

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks

GM 1st round WR Ranking

There isn't a clear cut #1 WR this year, like an A.J. Green but there is some good talent. Cordarrelle Patterson has the best combination of size and speed. Keenan Allen is a solid WR but I think people have him rated to high. Justin Hunter has 1st round talent but the knee injury is a concern so I have him in the 2nd round.

Here is my 1st round WR Ranking:

WR-Cordarrelle Patterson 6-3, 205 - Physically the best WR in the draft. Although he is a raw talent, he has tremendous combination of size and speed. Can make the tough catch and can get lots of YAC. Not the most polished WR but he has excellent upside. With a good 40 time he will solidify the top WR spot.

WR-DeAndre Hopkins 6-1, 200 - I really like him a lot. Has good size and and speed. Catches the ball well and is a good route runner. Can get YAC on the short stuff and can also get deep. Patterson has more upside but Hopkins is more polished. Simply a solid WR.

WR-Keenan Allen 6-3, 210 - Many have him the #1 WR. Gifted with size but lacks speed. I just can't put him #1. Probably the most polished WR will make the tough catch. All positives it's just the lack of speed really bumps him down. Will not be the first WR taken, don't be surprised if he falls to the bottom of the 1st round.

WR-Terrance Williams 6-2, 201 - The scheme at Baylor bumps him down but physically has decent size and good speed. Route wise didn't see much variation in the routes. Definitely a deep threat and can make the sideline grab. Decent hands and can make some tough catches. Bottom 1st round WR.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I love how everyone puts speed as a priority for a top tier receiver, then ignore the fact that Jerry Rice, the best wr of all time, was not a world class burner. How about work ethic? How about dedication? Theres a reason Usain Bolt , Tyson Gay and Carl Lewis didn't play in the NFL. It's a skill set and a mind set too.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    I love how everyone puts speed as a priority for a top tier receiver, then ignore the fact that Jerry Rice, the best wr of all time, was not a world class burner. How about work ethic? How about dedication? Theres a reason Usain Bolt , Tyson Gay and Carl Lewis didn't play in the NFL. It's a skill set and a mind set too.
    How fast was John Taylor and how much might that have cleared the intermediate zones where Rice made his living?

That is a question btw. My sense is that Taylor was fast, but I never have cared for or about the Niners.

Beyond Taylor/Rice, there was Harper/Irvin, to a lesser degree, though Clayton was fast, there was also Duper/Clayton. In my mind, you need at least one credible threat with true speed, if for no other reason than to clear the zones for your slightly slower possession guy.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutthroat View Post
    How fast was John Taylor and how much might that have cleared the intermediate zones where Rice made his living?

That is a question btw. My sense is that Taylor was fast, but I never have cared for or about the Niners.

Beyond Taylor/Rice, there was Harper/Irvin, to a lesser degree, though Clayton was fast, there was also Duper/Clayton. In my mind, you need at least one credible threat with true speed, if for no other reason than to clear the zones for your slightly slower possession guy.
    Taylor was one of the very fastest WR's in the league and definitely the guy who scared coverage deep. That was the dilemma facing teams back then. Defenses were built to stop the run and the deep pass, and if they tried to use run stuffing LB's on RB's and TE's it didn't work. If they single-covered Taylor deep, they'd get burned because Taylor was the Mike Wallace of his day but bigger and with excellent hands.

So, Rice had the area beyond the LB's and in front of the S's to exploit. He easily created separation because of his guile, technique, and burst. He ran great routes and set up his DB's well. Once he had separation, his accurate QB delivered the ball and Rice was a fantastic RAC guy. The WCO was in its infancy and Rice was the greatest WCO WR of all times, so it was a crazy mismatch every game they played.

Duper was probably faster than Taylor, but it's like comparing CJ2K to Wallace, they're both so deadly fast that safeties wake up in cold sweats the entire week before playing them. As much as it pains me to admit it, Rice and Taylor were clearly better than Clayton and Duper. San Fran also had the better TE, RB, FB and OL, truth be told. Oh yeah, and they're defense was a lot better than ours too.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jerry Rice had some good speed. These guys are not just fast but have good body types, decent hands, and can make plays.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfin530 View Post
    Jerry Rice had some good speed. These guys are not just fast but have good body types, decent hands, and can make plays.
    Rice ran a 4.7....not good speed. Forty times are overated as football is not track.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    Rice ran a 4.7....not good speed. Forty times are overated as football is not track.
    Good point
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    very true, speed isn't everything. 2 very good examples of this would be hakeem nicks and brandon marshall. 2 wr's not known for speed but are still very good number 1's.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Allen runs a 4.5 then I may change my mind about him. I think the combine and pro days will change the thoughts of some players
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cordarrelle Patterson is a lock as the top WR on my board officially!
    Quote Quote