Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A SERIOUS Question for Gun Control Proponents

1. -21
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And Mad Dog got to the second point i was hoping we would get to. Well Done Sir.

Handgun violence is the real problem of gun violence. The Thousands dying every year from gun violence do so predominately by hand gun. The glock fires no faster than the AR-15, but is much more easily concealed and can accept extended clips. Hand guns ending up in the hands of people with bad intentions is always going to be an issue, and you wont disarm the US of handguns, so what behaviors can we attempt to change and modify and thru what avenues can we pursue what i like to refer to as the re-civilization of the US?

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    WOW, great article. Also the people trying to compare us to Australia must remember they ALREADY had a gun ban in place that made it much harder to own a gun before their FINAL/TOTAL gun ban. If you banned guns in America the crime rate would go through the roof.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Ordinary Average Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The very high majority of gun owners are responsible. They keep. them for protection, collecting or going to the range and shooting. The issue goes beyond guns. Forget about mentally unbalanced killers because honestly, they only committ a small percentage of the total deaths and don't necessarily use assault weapons to reek havoc.

Our society has become very violent over the last 40 years through hollywood, video games, glamorizing gangster violence, etc. Many homes don't teach values, respect for life, responsibility amongst other things. Add in how easily accessible guns are and it's a potent cocktail full of many ingrediants. Take a good look at our inner cities where black on black violence is ridiculously out of control and disagreements are solved with bullets instead of fists. This culture has spread amongst many young americans and will only grow worse as time goes by. Can anyone really blame people for arming themselves?

Banning assault weapons is nothing more then a political maneuver. There is no easy answer to a complex issue. Simply banning guns won't work because a) they are easily accessible and b) people would change their choice of weapon to explosives or knives.

I ampretty disturbed, as the very highmajority of us are, with incients like Newtown or Aurora or Va Tech but these would have happened even with strict gun control laws. Unfortunate but true.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Ordinary Average Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    WOW, great article. Also the people trying to compare us to Australia must remember they ALREADY had a gun ban in place that made it much harder to own a gun before their FINAL/TOTAL gun ban. If you banned guns in America the crime rate would go through the roof.
    To go further, if guns were never protected by the constitution and made illegal in 1776, we wouldn't be experiencing this violence. It would be an accepted part of our culture but you're right. It's to late to take everyones guns away.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Our society has become very violent over the last 40 years through hollywood, video games, glamorizing gangster violence, etc. Many homes don't teach values, respect for life, responsibility amongst other things. Add in how easily accessible guns are and it's a potent cocktail full of many ingrediants. Take a good look at our inner cities where black on black violence is ridiculously out of control and disagreements are solved with bullets instead of fists. This culture has spread amongst many young americans and will only grow worse as time goes by. Can anyone really blame people for arming themselves?
    I would ask you to consider something else, along with your very valid points above. When talking about the mass murders, what common elements exist among the murderers, aside from the weapon, since the weapon had no say in it's use. White? Check. Single parent home? Check. Mood swings that had to be medicated? Check. Parents that "didn't know what to do with the"? Check. Going to crowded "Gun-Free" zones? Check.

Urban violence sees a lot of similarities with these mass murderers with one notable exception. No, it's not the weapon, to the urban gangbanger or domestic dispute, that is a matter of convenience. Nor is it race. It's the mind altering medication. Now i know medication helps a lot of people, but we over medicate like crazy in this country, and the mind is the last organ we should be throwing drugs at to see if something helps. Maybe it's time to focus on the mental health side, and maybe doctors shouldnt prescribe drugs willy nilly so quickly. Test....verify results...test more.....make sure what we put in our kids bodies is safer than what we let them have accesss to as far as weapons go. Right now we fail at that.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Ordinary Average Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Lets not forget that the very high majority of truly psychotic serial killers are white men who have a background of sexual, physical or emotional abuse or a combination of the three. Thrill killers. Some people are going to kill no matter what weapon they use.

Banning assault or semi automatic weapons is far from being the answer to a problem that has many components.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    The very high majority of gun owners are responsible. They keep. them for protection, collecting or going to the range and shooting. The issue goes beyond guns. Forget about mentally unbalanced killers because honestly, they only committ a small percentage of the total deaths and don't necessarily use assault weapons to reek havoc.

Banning assault weapons is nothing more then a political maneuver. There is no easy answer to a complex issue. Simply banning guns won't work because a) they are easily accessible and b) people would change their choice of weapon to explosives or knives.

I ampretty disturbed, as the very highmajority of us are, with incients like Newtown or Aurora or Va Tech but these would have happened even with strict gun control laws. Unfortunate but true.
    Lets not forget that the very high majority of truly psychotic serial killers are white men who have a background of sexual, physical or emotional abuse or a combination of the three. Thrill killers. Some people are going to kill no matter what weapon they use.

Banning assault or semi automatic weapons is far from being the answer to a problem that has many components.
    Don't forget, they often show signs growing up...cruelty and mutilation of animals etc. Adults for some reason right these sociopaths as going thru a phase, when early intervention may save not only the victims, but the sociopath himself (not sexist, the overwhelming majority of sociopathic killers are male)
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    I never really thought about it before, but I can only recall off the top of my head one killing in the Bahamas that happened for seemingly no reason. It seems theres always either a profit (robbery gone sideways, gang violence, ect.) or an anger motive. Im sure it has happened more, but its rare enough that I cant remember it happening. Obviously theres a big population difference, but its interesting to think about. I definitely cant remember any mass shootings ever happening.

Quote Quote  

9. -29

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I never really thought about it before, but I can only recall off the top of my head one killing in the Bahamas that happened for seemingly no reason. It seems theres always either a profit (robbery gone sideways, gang violence, ect.) or an anger motive. Im sure it has happened more, but its rare enough that I cant remember it happening. Obviously theres a big population difference, but its interesting to think about. I definitely cant remember any mass shootings ever happening.
    The only mass shootings that matter in the Bahamas mon

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    The only mass shootings that matter in the Bahamas mon

Bahamas =/= Jamaica
    Quote Quote