Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could Tannehill excel with more 'read-option' plays

1. -11
    Finaholic

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sanford Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yes but only in certain areas of the field and down and distance is at the minimal
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Oh for God's sake. Tannehill is what 6'4" and 220lbs. He's a former WR - you think he hasn't taken a few hits before?

It's all about how you use the read option. If you manage it carefully and don't overexpose your QB or turn it into a gimmick in your offense, there is NO reason on this earth why you couldn't have Tanny run some.

The RG3 situation was excessive. The Redskins couldn't resist the temptation to keep RG3 going further and more often, rather than use it when it was needed. Even then, his latest injury was sustained while throwing a pass, not while getting smashed by a linebacker (that happened already earlier in the season). It was then aggravated by him playing on. Stupidity all round. RG3 is a good enough passer not to be running half the time he actually does.

Tannehill's a big, solidly built kid, bigger than a lot of guys who would take much more abuse in a single game than Tannehill could take in a season, if the read option was properly managed. After the physical abuse he probably took in college as a wideout (and not a very fast/elusive one), a few read option plays would seem like a ballet lesson.

Players can get injured at any time doing anything - just ask David Garrard!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    rg3's injury wasn't about one particular hit really...it was about a accumulation of hard impacts and given that it was bound to happen...we used the read option a lot in one of the buffalo games and tannehill took more hard contact than i ever want my qb too...yeah he's a big kid but all it takes is a few head shots and he's scrambled eggs...or a lot of off balance awkward falls type stuff and it starts catching up with you...

use the read option some...sure...but do it responsibly and don't fall for the short term fad shelf life killer that is the read option in large doses...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    rg3's injury wasn't about one particular hit really...it was about a accumulation of hard impacts and given that it was bound to happen...we used the read option a lot in one of the buffalo games and tannehill took more hard contact than i ever want my qb too...yeah he's a big kid but all it takes is a few head shots and he's scrambled eggs...or a lot of off balance awkward falls type stuff and it starts catching up with you...

use the read option some...sure...but do it responsibly and don't fall for the short term fad shelf life killer that is the read option in large doses...
    We're in violent agreement then!
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would say, NO.

His strength is that he has a strong arm and that he played WR in college so he is very familiar with the routes and the passing game from both ends.

I would build the O and game plan to cater to his strengths. Designed runs are one thing, but involving him in steady contact by running him consistantly is a bad idea. Just look at how his rookie year went.

He was injured for over a third of the year after taking a glancing blow and falling awkwardly. It was a serious injury. If the opposing team knows that the QB will run consistantly they start to change their mindset from just tackling to putting serious hurt on the QB.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If he bulked up a little I would be ok with it but, he's a skinny guy. Of course you should definitely use it from time to time to keep the defense honest but tannehill is a pocket qb. He has a good feel for pressure as is and will only get better. Remember tannehill is still relatively new to qb position. He already has a quick, Marino like, release. Not to mention he loves to throw deep and with a fast receiver it will definitely open the field up more. From what I see, though, is qb that keeps his eyes downfield. He does a good job reading defenses and as season went on he looked off his primary receiver quite often. As long as Sherman doesn't handcuff him, I expect tannehill to join the likes of Wilson, rg3, and luck as more of an equal this coming season. As LOng as Miami doesn't mess up this offseason!
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Could Tannehill excel with more 'read-option' plays

I would have to say no as well. Tannehill is fast but he is not quick. I doubt it would work. Also if Delvin is going to be the #2 QB I would prefer to keep the hits on Tannehill to a minimum.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pay the man!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennyslvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Once or twice a game is fine. It keeps the defense guessing. In no way should we use it the way the Skins have.

However, if we don't get some playmakers it might be our only option.
    Quote Quote