Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The price for Free Agent receiver

1. -1
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks

The price for Free Agent receiver

I really don't think it it ridiculous that Hartline would be asking for $5-6M.
    If you look at the top free agent receivers from last year and what they signed for you will see his agent is right in line with the previous trends

Here is the list of top free agents receivers from last year and what they signed for. (minus Mike Wallace, tagged)

Vincent Jackson-5 yrs, $55.5M, $26M guaranteed
    Reggie Wayne- 3 yrs, $17.5M, $7.5M guaranteed
    Marques Colston- 5 yrs, $36.3M, $17.7 guaranteed
    Brandon Lloyd- 3 yrs, $12M, $3M guaranteed
    Robert Meachem- 4 yrs, $25.9M, $14M guaranteed
    Mario Manningham- 2 yrs, $7.375M, $3.2M guaranteed
    Laurent Robinson- 5 yrs, $32.5M, $13.8M guaranteed.
    Top Contract -$11.1M per year
    Bottom Contract-$3.7M per year
    Average contract of top 7 2012 free agents receivers- 3.8yrs, $26.7M, $12.2M guaranteed, Average $6.9M per year.

Hartline out perfromed 2 or 3 on that list with his past season

Source

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/wr.html

Now if we look at the top free agents receivers for 2013 Hartline is in that top seven

Source

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/1/29/...vers-available

Now maybe he ends up being the 6th or 7th best and has to settle for contracts like Manningham or Lloyd at $4M per year.

But nothing wrong with trying. This could be Hartline's only big payday of his career.

Not cheap to sign a top free agent receiver as we all know with Brandon Marshall signing and it doesn't always work out. (see manningham and Robinson from last year)

So does anyone really think we are going to sign 2 of the top 7 free agents receivers? (Jennings/hartline) (Jennings/wallace) (Wallace/Hartline)

I doubt it very much. You have to be able to find some playmaking receivers in the draft to be successful and keep your payroll in check.

I assume we sign one and then draft some more recievers.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins1971 View Post
    If you look at the top free agent receivers from last year and what they signed for you will see his agent is right in line with the previous trends

Here is the list of top free agents receivers from last year and what they signed for. (minus Mike Wallace, tagged)

Average contract of top 7 2012 free agents receivers- 3.8yrs, $26.7M, $12.2M guaranteed, Average $6.9M per year.

Source

Now if we look at the top free agents receivers for 2013 Hartline is in that top seven

Source

Now maybe he ends up being the 6th or 7th best and has to settle for contracts like Manningham or Lloyd at $4M per year.

But nothing wrong with trying. This could be Hartline's only big payday of his career.

Not cheap to sign a top free agent receiver as we all know with Brandon Marshall signing and it doesn't always work out. (see manningham and Robinson from last year)

So does anyone really think we are going to sign 2 of the top 7 free agents receivers? (Jennings/hartline) (Jennings/wallace) (Wallace/Hartline)

I doubt it very much. You have to be able to find some playmaking receivers in the draft to be successful and keep your payroll in check.

yeah if he wants to sign a Manningham or llyod type deal then fine but he doesnt .... All the other guys on that list r better then him and get paid because of it. Hes worth 3.5-4 mil a year and thats about it. For 5-6 mil a year i would rather pay a top TE FA and draft 2 WRs and let hartline walk.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

I do. Lets say Jennings or Wallace gets $8 to $10 million, and Hartline gets $4 to $5 million - that's committing $12 to $15 million to your 2 starting WR's, which seems very reasonable for proven talent. I also see us keeping Bess and drafting a WR. Seems very plausible to me.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    I do. Lets say Jennings or Wallace gets $8 to $10 million, and Hartline gets $4 to $5 million - that's committing $12 to $15 million to your 2 starting WR's, which seems very reasonable for proven talent. I also see us keeping Bess and drafting a WR. Seems very plausible to me.
    But there are 31 other teams that are in the market also. It may be doable from a cost standpoint but to think we would get 2 of the best 7 when 31 other team have needs is where I have doubt.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    But there are 31 other teams that are in the market also. It may be doable from a cost standpoint but to think we would get 2 of the best 7 when 31 other team have needs is where I have doubt.
    Well we already know Hartline wants to sign with us, and it will likely be for $4 or $5 million, so its just a matter of us landing Wllace or Jennings. Signing one of them is definitely realistic imo. There will be competition from other teams, but both of those guys know they will be the clear #1 WR if they choose to come here.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well we already know Hartline wants to sign with us, and it will likely be for $4 or $5 million, so its just a matter of us landing Wllace or Jennings. Signing one of them is definitely realistic imo. There will be competition from other teams, but both of those guys know they will be the clear #1 WR if they choose to come here.
    I'd be happy as hell if we get 2 of the 7. Finger crossed.

The one issue with signing 2 is that if Jennings is signed then Hartline knows he is going to be a number #2
    His stats may suffer since Jennings would be taking some of his receptions. So he may take a higher contract from another team that is looking for him to be the #1 and can provide more receptions/reps. Not saying that anyone would sign him as #1 but from Hartline standpoint if he is being paid #2 money then it would have to be top #2 money and be for a long term (5 years) Like I said this could be hartline only chance to cash in and his agent won't be telling him to give any friendly deals unless there is a lot of guaranteed money up front.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks

Source

Source

I believe they will try very hard to sign one of the big three (Probably Jennings being the most attractive Skill/Contract wise), then will probably make a somewhat hard push to resign Tannehill's favorite target last year (Even though doubt very much Hartline gets what he is asking for from the Dolphins), finally Miami will get a receiver in either of the 2nd round picks Miami has....and probably will get another receiver in the 4th or 5th round.

Miami wants to be an aggressive offense, an aggressive offense will have a high % of passes, and for that to happen, they are going to have to have many receivers (Not just one or two) that can be counted on to catch the ball, not drop them consistently....as well as also being smart, and run good timing routes.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'd be happy as hell if we get 2 of the 7. Finger crossed.

The one issue with signing 2 is that if Jennings is signed then Hartline knows he is going to be a number #2
    Green Bay follows the WR by committee approach, which is the same philosophy Philbin employs. There were games where Hartline was targeted the most this year, and in other games we saw Bess, Fasano, or Clay get more targets. When Philbin says he doesnt know what a "No. 1 WR" means, I believe him. There's no doubt Jennings and Hartline can coexist. I think its entirely possible for Hartline to continue to produce 70 catch seasons even if Jennings joins our team.
    Last edited by Zounds; 01-30-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: speeeeeling
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Green Bay follows the WR by committe approach, which is the same philosophy Philbin employs. There were games where Hartline was targeted the most this year, and in other games we saw Bess, Fasano, or Clay get more targets. When Philbin says he doesnt know what a "No. 1 WR" means, I believe him. There's no dount Jennings and Hartline can coexist. I think its entirely possible for Hartline to continue to produce 70 catch seasons even if Jennings joins our team.
    Good point. I hope it happens. Jennings/Hartline would be a lot more exciting than what we watched the past year.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Seeing what Hartline did as the main guy, he could be better as a lesser guy.

Deshaun Watson is the TRUTH!
    Quote Quote