Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chip Kelly says big hands "is the biggest coaching point to finding a QB"

1. -1
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

Chip Kelly says big hands "is the biggest coaching point to finding a QB"

Nick Foles - QB - Eagles

While at Oregon, new Eagles coach Chip Kelly stated that he believes big hands are an essential attribute for a quarterback.

"That is the biggest coaching point to finding a quarterback," Kelly said. "How big are his hands, and how well can he control the football? The height of the quarterback is not the important thing. No one playing quarterback throws over the line. They throw trough lanes in the linemen. The important thing is the size of their hands." At 10 5/8 inches, Nick Foles had the biggest hands of any quarterback at the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine.

So before the draft some people were concerned about tannehills 9 inch hands. So I ask this question again. Will this be a problem in cold weather games in the future? Lets be honest tannehill did not necessarily light it up in the cold weather road games this year (bills, pats, started bad vs jets then injury). Vick has very small hands I think 8.5-9 inches and he has always had ball control issues. Culpepper had extremely small hands and he had a fumbling problem. Another QB who had very small hands was chris chandler but he lead the falcons to a superbowl. Look I like Tanneill a lot and i love his skill-set and i do believe we finally find our franchise QB. He is intelligent, strong arm, mobile, athletic, accurate. But this small hands thing still sits in the back of my mind and I kind of cant get over the hurdle. So basically after reading what chip kelly said leads me to believe that he would probably not draft tannehill if he were in this draft based on hand size? I read one scouting website that said some nfl gm's and scouts rank hand size anywhere from 6-10 on a list of 10 most important attributes for a QB. So what do u guys think about this?

rotoworld.com
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Remind me again how many of Chip's QBs have been successful NFL starters?

"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    who cares what Chip Kelly thinks?

Drew Brees has small hands.....just sayin
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Remind me again how many of Chip's QBs have been successful NFL starters?
    You have a point but he is not the only nfl person that says big hands are important for a QB. I'm just asking a simple question. Does this concern anybody in the future? It's a very legit question. I dont need sarcastic responses.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Drew Brees has small hands.....just sayin
    incorrect. drew brees has 10.5 hands. his hands are extremely large

Daunte Culpepper’s hand size was 9½ inches at the ’99 combine. Culpepper’s hand measurement of 9½ isn’t extremely low by NFL standards, but for someone his size (6-4, 264), it is. Not only the size but also the unusual shape of Culpepper’s hands was a concern not only for the Vikings but other NFL teams before the ’99 draft. Several sources confirmed that Culpepper has what is commonly referred to as a “web hand.” It’s a hereditary condition in which his fingers don’t separate easily because the skin between them is connected upward toward the knuckles more than normal.

Michael Vick, who stands barely 6-0, has merely an 8½-inch hand. However, Drew Brees, who stands just 6-0½, has a hand of 10¼.

In the ballyhooed quarterback class of 1999 that included Culpepper, Tim Couch’s hand was 9 7/8, Donovan McNabb’s hand was 10-0, Akili Smith’s was 9¾ and Cade McNown’s was 9 3/8.

A list of other quarterbacks and their hand sizes includes Brad Johnson (10 1/8), Patrick Ramsey (10-0), David Carr (9¾), Joey Harrington (9¾), Trent Dilfer (9 5/8), Jay Fiedler (9½), J.T. O’Sullivan (9½), Jake Plummer (9¼) and Chris Chandler (9¼).

One of the largest measures of any quarterback drafted in the first round was the 11¼ of Jim Druckenmiller. He was a bust, as was Heath Shuler (10 5/8 ). David Klingler (9¼) had a small hand and flopped.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chicago
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Interesting.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've seen it posted here that Matt Moore has extremely small hands.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Football On My Mind 24 Hrs Per Day

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    So does that mean he also has a vagina?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    I heard he smells like cabbage too.
    Dolfan4life!

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    mixed bag of big hands vs good career.
    The Packers’ Brett Favre had his hand measured at 10 3/8 inches, from thumb tip to pinkie tip, during the National Football scouting combine in 1991. Favre’s grip on the ball is so enormous that the thumb and little finger of his outstretched right hand probably would cover almost exactly half the circumference of an NFL football.

Daunte Culpepper’s hand size was 9½ inches at the ’99 combine. Culpepper’s hand measurement of 9½ isn’t extremely low by NFL standards, but for someone his size (6-4, 264), it is. Not only the size but also the unusual shape of Culpepper’s hands was a concern not only for the Vikings but other NFL teams before the ’99 draft. Several sources confirmed that Culpepper has what is commonly referred to as a “web hand.” It’s a hereditary condition in which his fingers don’t separate easily because the skin between them is connected upward toward the knuckles more than normal.

Michael Vick, who stands barely 6-0, has merely an 8½-inch hand. However, Drew Brees, who stands just 6-0½, has a hand of 10¼.

In the ballyhooed quarterback class of 1999 that included Culpepper, Tim Couch’s hand was 9 7/8, Donovan McNabb’s hand was 10-0, Akili Smith’s was 9¾ and Cade McNown’s was 9 3/8.

A list of other quarterbacks and their hand sizes includes Brad Johnson (10 1/8), Patrick Ramsey (10-0), David Carr (9¾), Joey Harrington (9¾), Trent Dilfer (9 5/8), Jay Fiedler (9½), J.T. O’Sullivan (9½), Jake Plummer (9¼) and Chris Chandler (9¼).

One of the largest measures of any quarterback drafted in the first round was the 11¼ of Jim Druckenmiller. He was a bust, as was Heath Shuler (10 5/8 ). David Klingler (9¼) had a small hand and flopped.

P.S......hope this helps.....I also included the Website that I got the above info from and for you to get more info
    Source(s):

Quote Quote