Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Baylor WR Terrance Williams seems good fit for Dolphins

1. -31
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He reminds me so much of Brian Hartline, except a notch faster. He has very good hands for the most part and can make some tough catches in traffic, and shows good ability to control his body in the air while making a catch. He even had some great toe drags in the games I saw (vs. Texas, vs. West Virginia). Where he seems to struggle is making guys miss. He rarely breaks tackles or shows the ability to get by a defender in a one on one situation, but if he has good blocking, he will usually hit the hole.

Again, I only watched those two games so take what I said with a grain of salt.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I'm just wondering what tape there is out there of Williams being so bad at dealing with press. Can anyone point to anything specific?
    There isn't. I just looked through about 4 games of his and the Senior Bowl (quickly albeit) and I counted one time of getting jammed at the line and that was in the Senior Bowl. Granted I didn't go through each practice, but I couldn't find many instances of him being pressed at all, much less having trouble with it.

Williams is one of those guys I keep changing my mind on. I really liked him early on and then not so much, now I'm liking him again. I think people are projecting the bad off of press thing because it seems like it could be true with someone of his size. For what it's worth, my main concern is that it seems like he's awkward running double moves and other more 'complex routes'. Sometimes he gets into them and his arms start flailing a little bit, looking a bit awkward. I'm not sure if that's completely a bad thing or if it can be coached out. But that, not his ability to get off press, is my main concern.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    Idk I took some time to look at both Williams and Hopkins and I still see Hopkins as the better playmaker. And Williams is only an inch or two taller and afew lbs heavier. As far as the deepthreat thing, I saw Hopkins catch as many if not more bombs than Williams did. I also saw the Senior Bowl and only saw Williams catch a couple balls and go out of bounds. Can you provide me a link of anything that can impress me because I'm just not convinced Williams to go higher than Hopkins. (Of course here's to is grabbing Patterson at 12 so we don't have to worry about either one he he he)
    I'm not trying to tell you that you have to like Terrance Williams. I respect your disagreement on him. I was just asking a question because I keep hearing about how bad he is dealing with press which is something I've not really seen at all. He wasn't the most advanced at it during the Senior Bowl practices I saw televised but I also saw him at those practices getting beyond the jam and separating, making plays.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

And what about this Da'Rick Rogers guy? The guy looks like he belongs in the conversation of WRs right after Patterson.
    IMO, slow. Wouldn't surprise me if he ran close to a 4.6.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    senior bowl one on ones williams had a tough time getting off press...he also measured out shorter than expected not as big a wr as i thought...can get vertical but needs to use his hands more...he's not a top 50 guy for me...i like him more late 2nd early 3rd...runs pretty good routes...i don't think dbs can just sit on his routes and squat like i saw a lot of guys doing senior bowl week...but he needs to get off the line better...hurts his stock for me some
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NUGap View Post
    There isn't. I just looked through about 4 games of his and the Senior Bowl (quickly albeit) and I counted one time of getting jammed at the line and that was in the Senior Bowl. Granted I didn't go through each practice, but I couldn't find many instances of him being pressed at all, much less having trouble with it.

Williams is one of those guys I keep changing my mind on. I really liked him early on and then not so much, now I'm liking him again. I think people are projecting the bad off of press thing because it seems like it could be true with someone of his size. For what it's worth, my main concern is that it seems like he's awkward running double moves and other more 'complex routes'. Sometimes he gets into them and his arms start flailing a little bit, looking a bit awkward. I'm not sure if that's completely a bad thing or if it can be coached out. But that, not his ability to get off press, is my main concern.
    I think he's good in tight, physical coverage. He separates. He's used to working with a condensed space at Baylor because in that offense they always have wide receivers on both sides lined up outside the numbers...the widest splits in college ball. He's got a narrow patch of grass to work with when it comes to getting open vertically but he does it with regularity.

At the Senior Bowl in practice I saw him not handle the press as quickly as some of the other guys (Markus Wheaton), but I also saw him creating separation after the press and making plays on the football.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    drick rodgers may not be a burner i think he's a mid to late 4.5's guy but he's got sweet feet for his size and some wiggle...his problem is gonna be character and off the field stuff...i don't think ireland and philbin will touch him
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I'm not trying to tell you that you have to like Terrance Williams. I respect your disagreement on him. I was just asking a question because I keep hearing about how bad he is dealing with press which is something I've not really seen at all. He wasn't the most advanced at it during the Senior Bowl practices I saw televised but I also saw him at those practices getting beyond the jam and separating, making plays.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

IMO, slow. Wouldn't surprise me if he ran close to a 4.6.
    I can respect that. Though I'm reading that Da'Rick Rogers runs in the 4.33/4.44 range. But I look forward to the Combine just in case that's just propaganda.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    williams also got a ton of clean releases at baylor...rarely pressed...so he was able to get off the los and into his routes unimpeded...may just be he needs more time to work on hand use and physicality at the los and to get off guys i do really like the way though he plays the sideline and tight spaces so well...thats something for instance clyde gates never figured out...he just let dbs ride him right out of bounds and gave the qb no target...

i like williams more than hopkins...dbs will have to respect williams ability to get over the top on him...which will open up some things underneath for him...
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can respect that. Though I'm reading that Da'Rick Rogers runs in the 4.33/4.44 range. But I look forward to the Combine just in case that's just propaganda.
    I think that's some heavy propaganda. Doesn't run that fast on the field, that's for sure.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yeah there's no way he's blazing 4.33...doesn't play anywhere near that fast...late 4.5's
    Quote Quote