Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which position drafted at 12 will have the biggest impact?

1. -1
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Which position drafted at 12 will have the biggest impact?

We have lots of needs to address, and we'll try to address some of our needs through the draft. At 12, the goal is to draft a player who will make the biggest impact on next year's team (our hope is every player we draft will have an impact, but its not likely our 6th rounder will have a bigger impact than our 1st -- so the pressure is on our 1st pick to have the most impact).

If we draft the top OLinemen (OG or OT), will that have the biggest impact on the team?

If we grab a CB, will that have the most impact?

Will it be a WR?

A pass rusher?

A TE?

A LB?

It could very well be that an OL will be the highest rated player available at 12 (Warmack, Fisher, Cooper, Johnson). If we grab a Tackle, or a Guard, will that have more impact than if we were to take a CB (Milliner, Banks, Trufant)? Or a WR (though its questionable whether there is a receiver worth a 12). Or a pass rusher?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In My House
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Which position drafted at 12 will have the biggest impact?I have not ideal
    But position of need

1.Pass rusher
    2.CB
    3.WR
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    looking at Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson as sure LT. This is it. If Jake is gone, this is ahuge hole and it gives you all the other picks to focus on wr, cb,s, and DE.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    looking at Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson as sure LT. This is it. If Jake is gone, this is ahuge hole and it gives you all the other picks to focus on wr, cb,s, and DE.
    If we go with BPA, I feel it will be an OL, and these two names seem possible to be there at 12.

I'm not arguing with you, but just to play devil's advocate, what makes you think getting a LT will have more of an impact than grabbing, say, a WR or TE? A LT won't score us any TD's, and won't catch any passes. He can't sack opposing QB's, nor intercept passes either.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I disagree. Sure, if we let JL walk it will be a hole we need to fill, but we do not need to take a OL in the first. We need to take either a WR or PR in the first and we can use one of our 2 2nds to shore up the OL.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Even if Long walks there is no reason why we HAVE TO spend a 1st round pick on a LT. We can move Martin to LT and he can learn to play there since that's what he played in college and was pegged as a LT coming out. We can then draft a RT in rounds 2 or 3.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrowDaTD View Post
    If we go with BPA, I feel it will be an OL, and these two names seem possible to be there at 12.

I'm not arguing with you, but just to play devil's advocate, what makes you think getting a LT will have more of an impact than grabbing, say, a WR or TE? A LT won't score us any TD's, and won't catch any passes. He can't sack opposing QB's, nor intercept passes either.
    Well, the question is kind of a trick question. Its making you think you need to grab a certain position to make biggest impact. Well, if Tannehill is on his ass, no one is making an impact, including Jennings who we hypothetically pick up as FA WR. Which leads into the next thing. If we get him or someone else, who supposedly is high impact already, why do we need yet another Wr to make biggest impact?

Back to tricky question. This draft is different than years past for us with way way different circumstances. If we dont sign any of our FA's, which is starting to look very much in that direction, then you need to absolutely fill the holes at LT, TE, Safety, and CB at the very least while supplementing WR with one or two guys later, because this draft is chalk full of good WR's and DE (as some suggest we need big pass rusher, i believe guys will step up and we might still get one later) and Safety, you can hold off on geting one in 2nd or 3rd round which polished and fast WR will be available. We can also get a really good impact Safety in this draft and a good CB I believe all while getting good WR's and a TE (still big on Efiert and I think he makes bigger impact than a rookie WR in first year).

Filling the hole at LT with a stud you know is going to start day one makes the offense better as a whole and promotes more impact on the skill position guys who come in. Its about value at every position as it pertains to this draft.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foozool13 View Post
    Even if Long walks there is no reason why we HAVE TO spend a 1st round pick on a LT. We can move Martin to LT and he can learn to play there since that's what he played in college and was pegged as a LT coming out. We can then draft a RT in rounds 2 or 3.
    You think Philbin is banking on that? I dont. Martin sucked vs. New England. He played what 3 or 4 games at LT? Tell me who in this draft is gonna come right in and take over LT? Martin needs to get bigger and still even so, then RT is a hole. Garner is a FA as well dont forget. Not comfortable with writing in Martin at LT at all right now.

The only position of high impact I see right now is CB where the pickings drop off in talent after round 1-2.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, the question is kind of a trick question. Its making you think you need to grab a certain position to make biggest impact. Well, if Tannehill is on his ass, no one is making an impact, including Jennings who we hypothetically pick up as FA WR. Which leads into the next thing. If we get him or someone else, who supposedly is high impact already, why do we need yet another Wr to make biggest impact?

Back to tricky question. This draft is different than years past for us with way way different circumstances. If we dont sign any of our FA's, which is starting to look very much in that direction, then you need to absolutely fill the holes at LT, TE, Safety, and CB at the very least while supplementing WR with one or two guys later, because this draft is chalk full of good WR's and DE (as some suggest we need big pass rusher, i believe guys will step up and we might still get one later) and Safety, you can hold off on geting one in 2nd or 3rd round which polished and fast WR will be available. We can also get a really good impact Safety in this draft and a good CB I believe all while getting good WR's and a TE (still big on Efiert and I think he makes bigger impact than a rookie WR in first year).

Filling the hole at LT with a stud you know is going to start day one makes the offense better as a whole and promotes more impact on the skill position guys who come in. Its about value at every position as it pertains to this draft.
    Sorry 54, didn't mean to make this a trick question. Its just a thought running through my mind.

I'm thinking its good to shore up our OL, and make it as strong as we can -- I won't argue with Ireland for making that pick. But I was just wondering, if we take Eifert at 12 (yeah, he may be available lower in the 1st), he may be that weapon we're lacking and a redzone guy who could potentially score 10 TD's. Wouldn't that make more of an impact than a LT?

Or taking a pass rusher who plays opposite of Wake, and having those 2 bookends give QB's nightmares.

Honestly, I'll be fine with taking a worthy player wherever he plays. I'm just trying to figure out which position will have the most impact.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The only position of high impact I see right now is CB where the pickings drop off in talent after round 1-2.
    Here's another position that could have the biggest impact with the 12th pick. The BPA could be Milliner if he slides, it could maybe be Banks, or if Trufant keeps rising, it could be him.
    Quote Quote