Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED or Plasma?

Hybrid View

1. -1
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceGalactic Empire medal

LED or Plasma?

I am contemplating buying a tv in the next day or two. My sony 55" kdf lcd/rear projectionis taking a dump and i'm tired of buying new lamps for it. I've had it for about 8 years and the picture is so dark with thumbprint like spots popping up on the screen. I guess sony had issues with these models.

Im looking for a 50-55" tv, can't see myself getting anything smaller after the 55". I've never owned a plasma or led. There's some good deals going on now but i'm only going to spend about 500-600 range. I can't justify spending another 1400 on a tv. I don't need all the bells and whistles. We watch dvds, digital tv (dumped cable about a year ago) and occasional ps3 game.

After doing some researching, seems they both have their pros and cons. I was looking at 51 samsung plasma and a LG 50 led, both in my price range. Do the plasmas put off that much glare and do they have a darker picture compared to the LED? Are the led's the same as a LCD as far as picture quality. Just looking for some opinions.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In my opinion, you get a better bang for your buck with plasma. You can get a better TV for cheaper, but it has a glass screen so there is more glare and it's a little more fragile. I have a 50" Panasonic plasma and I love it. My parents have a 55" Toshiba LED that is great as well, but it was probably at least $500 more. I got mine for about $900ish after tax and a warranty like three years ago. A friend got a better one this year for around the same price about two months ago.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Conducting From the Grave: The Rise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQ2aKgXafw
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceGalactic Empire medal
    Thank,s I am leaning towards the plasma. I don't have any glare issues with my sony as we keep the windows covered most of the year due to the florida heat . I think my biggest concern is a darker picture. i read some comments about plasmas being dark. My tv now is almost unwatchable with dark movies, sometimes all I see is eyeballs and it drives me nuts. Sounds like the plasma dead pixel issues have been fixed too.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wheatland, WY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gears of War tagPlaystation LogoCam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo
    It all comes down to what you like more. I lean towards the LED's myself. However on that same note my 47" Vizio crapped out after just a little over a year's worth of use. So I am looking to buy something new in the next week and I am actually planning going with a 47" Samsung Led that is pretty solid as far as the specs go.
    Last edited by Thumper1016; 01-30-2013 at 01:21 AM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    LCD or LED. I always hear about Plasma lamps going bad quickly and they aren't cheap to replace.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    LCD or LED. I always hear about Plasma lamps going bad quickly and they aren't cheap to replace.
    From the research I did before I bought it, supposedly they've worked out a lot of those issues. I know burn in isn't the problem it used to be either.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    From the research I did before I bought it, supposedly they've worked out a lot of those issues. I know burn in isn't the problem it used to be either.
    Interesting. Well if that's the case I don't think you could go wrong on any variety. If money is an issue I believe sometimes Plasmas are more affordable. It also depends on what type of room you're putting the TV in.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Super Moderator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aberdeen
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arsenal shield
    I have allways gone for a L/G LCD but i have only got a 42" and they have worked fine,the brand L/G have been good to me............
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wheatland, WY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gears of War tagPlaystation LogoCam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    I have allways gone for a L/G LCD but i have only got a 42" and they have worked fine,the brand L/G have been good to me............
    Good call Road Runner. I was all set to go with the Samsung I had mentioned when out of the corner of my eye I noticed this great picture on another set. So I go over to see what is and it turns out to be an LG 55" LED. It was about $50.00 less and was a way bigger screen then I had planned on buying.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My friend has an LG plasma and it works really well. If you go the plasma route, Panasonic is supposed to be the best brand. I've never had a problem with any LG products, though.
    Last edited by Valandui; 01-30-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Me fail English, apparently.
    Quote Quote