Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: LED or Plasma?

1. -31
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have an Insignia 42" Plasma TV. It's Best Buy's brand, but it's made with Samsung parts. I also got it for about 400 dollars. It's been great
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would go with LED....plasmas are heavier, and the picture quality just doesn't seem to look as good unless you have a really dark room. I have a 70" Aquos that I got for $1800, and I have a buddy who works at Best Buy who hooked up some premium speakers for me. I also have a 42 inch Vizio that is sweet.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Super Moderator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aberdeen
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arsenal shield
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
    I just bought the 80" Sharp Aquos LED.

So I'm a little biased to the LED.
    WTF.......how much did that cost.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    You should go with a regular hi def so you can watch stuff in stunning 480 poor.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    WTF.......how much did that cost.
    Saw one today for $4000...

What an impressive looking TV it is...
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Don't Hate Miami

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    FIU - Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like to consider plasma TVs as big screens on a budget, but it's something to be beware of.

Plasma TVs are energy hogs, the display is fragile (lay it flat and you may ruin the picture - unlike a light-emitting diode (LED) or a liquid crystal display (LCD) TV, a plasma TV has actual phosphorous chemicals within the set that project the backlight for the television) and many of them don't have full high definition. I work electronics for a big box retail store and I tend to tell my customers to stay away from plasma displays, but you obviously can't convince everyone.

My parents have a 60" Samsung LED - it's a behemoth, but it's an absolutely beautiful TV.

I have a 32" RCA LED for myself and I love that little TV.
    Last edited by Adam First; 02-10-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam First View Post
    I like to consider plasma TVs as big screens on a budget, but it's something to be beware of.

Plasma TVs are energy hogs, the display is fragile (lay it flat and you may ruin the picture - unlike a light-emitting diode (LED) or a liquid crystal display (LCD) TV, a plasma TV has actual phosphorous chemicals within the set that project the backlight for the television) and many of them don't have full high definition. I work electronics for a big box retail store and I tend to tell my customers to stay away from plasma displays, but you obviously can't convince everyone.

My parents have a 60" Samsung LED - it's a behemoth, but it's an absolutely beautiful TV.

I have a 32" RCA LED for myself and I love that little TV.
    It's all a matter of personal preference as well. I was with a friend at Best Buy looking at them one day and we had two employees with us. One of them swore by plasma screens and one said to avoid them like the plague. Each type of TV has it's pros and cons.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Conducting From the Grave: The Rise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQ2aKgXafw
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    9-7

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Asheville, North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you want my honest opinion just buy what you like right now and save for OLED in a few years once prices start comin down. You really can't go wrong with either. Plasma will get you brighter picture with better black/whites compared to LED. If you go LED make sure you get the full back light not the edge light. Don't pay attention to BS contrast ratios that companies throw out. Pay attention to the lighting actually in the TV and the blacks/whites.

Brands?

If you actually do some research you'll find a lot of Panasonic get high ratings, the Sony XBR series is good, Samsung is your average day consumer (think Apple of TV, who is coming sooner than you think as well) along with guys like LG (doesn't make them bad), it's just a lot of people get caught up in Smart TVs (paying for the internet and fancy gadgets) where some people like to avoid all that nonsense (me) only because my PS3, Bluray will do the same and put that money towards actual specs.

That's my opinion, anyway. Don't get 3D, yet. Also, with the plasma you better close the blinds/shutters or have a dark room otherwise that picture is gonna look ****ty.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wheatland, WY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gears of War tagPlaystation LogoCam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    I have allways gone for a L/G LCD but i have only got a 42" and they have worked fine,the brand L/G have been good to me............
    Good call Road Runner. I was all set to go with the Samsung I had mentioned when out of the corner of my eye I noticed this great picture on another set. So I go over to see what is and it turns out to be an LG 55" LED. It was about $50.00 less and was a way bigger screen then I had planned on buying.
    Quote Quote