Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The price for Free Agent receiver

1. -11
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think it's clear Miami's drafting receivers this year and one of them will be expected to be the teams 1, 2 or 3 option. If you keep Bess and then sign Jennings or Wallace and resign Hartline there's your 1, 2, 3 right there. You're not signing Hartline for $5 or $6 million to be your #4 wr and you're not wasting a high draft pick for a #4. So if the team is going to draft a wr in the first or second round there's not room for Jennings and Hartline, one or the other but now way both.

I think Miami is looking at Hartline as a safety valve right now, they will resign him only if they strike out on Jennings, Bowe or Wallace. If Miami misses on the big three Hartline would be the obvious 4th choice. I could see Miami signing Hartline and then drafting a wr in the first or second round. Keenan Allen, Hartline and Bess would be a fine 1, 2, 3. They would still have to spend a later draft pick on a #4, someone like Marquise Goodwin of Texas or Markus Wheaton of Oregon St. would give the team more speed.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins1971 View Post
    I really don't think it it ridiculous that Hartline would be asking for $5-6M.
    If you look at the top free agent receivers from last year and what they signed for you will see his agent is right in line with the previous trends

Here is the list of top free agents receivers from last year and what they signed for. (minus Mike Wallace, tagged)

Vincent Jackson-5 yrs, $55.5M, $26M guaranteed
    Reggie Wayne- 3 yrs, $17.5M, $7.5M guaranteed
    Marques Colston- 5 yrs, $36.3M, $17.7 guaranteed
    Brandon Lloyd- 3 yrs, $12M, $3M guaranteed
    Robert Meachem- 4 yrs, $25.9M, $14M guaranteed
    Mario Manningham- 2 yrs, $7.375M, $3.2M guaranteed
    Laurent Robinson- 5 yrs, $32.5M, $13.8M guaranteed.
    Top Contract -$11.1M per year
    Bottom Contract-$3.7M per year
    Average contract of top 7 2012 free agents receivers- 3.8yrs, $26.7M, $12.2M guaranteed, Average $6.9M per year.

Hartline out perfromed 2 or 3 on that list with his past season

Source

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/wr.html

Now if we look at the top free agents receivers for 2013 Hartline is in that top seven

Source

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/1/29/...vers-available

Now maybe he ends up being the 6th or 7th best and has to settle for contracts like Manningham or Lloyd at $4M per year.

But nothing wrong with trying. This could be Hartline's only big payday of his career.

Not cheap to sign a top free agent receiver as we all know with Brandon Marshall signing and it doesn't always work out. (see manningham and Robinson from last year)

So does anyone really think we are going to sign 2 of the top 7 free agents receivers? (Jennings/hartline) (Jennings/wallace) (Wallace/Hartline)

I doubt it very much. You have to be able to find some playmaking receivers in the draft to be successful and keep your payroll in check.

I assume we sign one and then draft some more recievers.
    It's interesting b/c the two comparables for the type of contract he is looking for are not the same type of players. Frankly, there isn't a FA WR on the list that has a similar style game to Hartline so it's hard to say if 5-6 million should be the going rate for him.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    I hate everyone else in the AFC East

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Hartline wants 5-6 Mil I would rather spend the extra 2-3 Mil and get Jennings at 7-8 Million. I think Hartline should be looking for money like Manningham more so than Wayne or Colston. Everyone thought Robinson was paid too much when he signed. I don't want to get caught in that trap. In a perfect world you get Jennings at the same contract as Wayne. Then it comes down to Resigning Jake or signing Wallace and drafting Fisher or Johnson which ever one drops to us. IN that scenario we would have starting receivers or Jennings and Wallace at about 16-18 million of our cap with a rookie LT. Then we could go after BPA for pretty much the rest of the draft, like getting corners, new FS, and TE and maybe a ZBS OG.
    Let's go Miami!!!!
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Would love to see Hartline stay. He's only getting what the market has determined he is worth. Adding Jennings would be fabulous. You want to give Ryan as many targets as possible. Boost his confidence going into year two. Besides the Jets are blowing up, and the Pats are very good, but they are getting older. I also have the feeling that they aren't that tight on a personal level. Its a good time for us to make a splash and throw ourselves into the Division conversation.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorygrant83 View Post
    I think it's clear Miami's drafting receivers this year and one of them will be expected to be the teams 1, 2 or 3 option. If you keep Bess and then sign Jennings or Wallace and resign Hartline there's your 1, 2, 3 right there. You're not signing Hartline for $5 or $6 million to be your #4 wr and you're not wasting a high draft pick for a #4. So if the team is going to draft a wr in the first or second round there's not room for Jennings and Hartline, one or the other but now way both.

I think Miami is looking at Hartline as a safety valve right now, they will resign him only if they strike out on Jennings, Bowe or Wallace. If Miami misses on the big three Hartline would be the obvious 4th choice. I could see Miami signing Hartline and then drafting a wr in the first or second round. Keenan Allen, Hartline and Bess would be a fine 1, 2, 3. They would still have to spend a later draft pick on a #4, someone like Marquise Goodwin of Texas or Markus Wheaton of Oregon St. would give the team more speed.
    IMO you nailed it. Drafting a Allen or Hopkins and then Goodwin or Wheaton later, would be ideal WR's in Philbin's system. Just resign Hartline and save some money for other FA's like a TE. Our WR's would be round one pick of Allen or Hopkins, Hartline, Bess, Matthews, and round 4 pick of Goodwin or Wheaton. That would be a very nice group of WR's. Then we still have Fuller and Tyms on the PS. Tannehill would have some nice targets.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like DeAndre Hopkins too, and he very well could be available in the second round. Allen and Cordarrelle Patterson will go in the first round, but some of the second tier of Tevon Austin, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, Hopkins and Terrence Williams could slip to the second round. The third tier with Stedman Bailey, Da'rick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, Quinton Patton, Cobi Hamilton and Markus Wheaton will likely be spread out over the second and third rounds. When you add Marquess Wilson, Ryan Swope and Marquise Goodwin that gives you 16 receivers that could go in the top 100 picks, all of whom could look good in a Dolphin uniform
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sorry guys I think Philbin will pass on all three of the free agent WR , He passed on Flynn, He has passed on other free agents. we should be the Miami Dolphins Not the Miami Green Bay Packers, or as past , the Miami Cowboys. Go Draft two of the top three WR. Let the Grow with the team.it has worked for other teams.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starting to hear voices

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=TealAttack13;1064573968]Would love to see Hartline stay. He's only getting what the market has determined he is worth. Adding Jennings would be fabulous. You want to give Ryan as many targets as possible. Boost his confidence going into year two. Besides the Jets are blowing up, and the Pats are very good, but they are getting older. I also have the feeling that they aren't that tight on a personal level. Its a good time for us to make a splash and throw ourselves into the Division conversation.[/QUOT I certainly hope so, it has been a while. I just have a feeling some other team will give Hartline better money.
    JMB
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would hate to break up the chemistry he has with Tannehill, but he will not get paid the amount of money he is looking for. We might as well throw that at Wallace and draft a young WR.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would re-sign HARTLINE and go after BOTH WALLACE and JENNINGS. This is NOT a great Draft year for WRs: that "train" has already left the station. So, forget it. (I might not draft a single WR this season). Also, get a solid Cover CB, TE, and G in F/A, and nothing else is essential. Many people would say "But what about capspace?" I say "What about it?" We have $46 Million in "caproom" w/o doing ANYTHING. MARSHALL had surgery for multiple ruptured discs: i/m/o, he's finished. Cutting him saves almost $4.8 Million, so just do it. That's just ONE example. There are others who get too much $$$ w/o being all that talented. Do what has to be done. CAP??? HA!!! No problem, really. And the new CBA requires that we spend 90/95% of our Cap $$$.

This IS a great Draft year for DEs and pass-rushing OLBs. I'd draft two w/our top 2 picks, using our late 3rd, 4th and 5th Round Picks to move up as far as we can. I DON'T WANT quantity, I want quality. Our earlier 3rd is reserved for a RT. Our 6th (comp pick) and 7th are for "flyers" as PHILBIN and IRELAND see fit.

QED.
    Last edited by luduporcu; 01-31-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Quote