Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The price for Free Agent receiver

1. -21
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Draft 2 WR's that fit Philbin's system, along with a DE and TE with our first four picks .... Done. In fact Depending how the players are positioned by the time the draft gets here, I would trade down in the first and gain either another second or third round pick. There are plenty of WR's to grab in rounds 2 and 3. I would resign Hartline, Clemons, and either Fasano or another FA TE like a Keller.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    At the end of the day, its all about supply and demand. This draft doesn't have the AJ Green's and Julio Jones type of plug-and-play dominance WR's. Everyone is either a little less physically dominant (smaller, slower) or less polished. But, there are a HUGE amount of those guys who can become the next Hartline or better down the road. But they're not bird-in-the-hand type guys. They're the type guys Hartline was as a rookie ... which isn't nearly the same valuable WR to an offense as Hartline is today.

My guess is that the teams in FA are almost all going to have other uses for $6M than bring in Hartline. I can see a St. Louis, Dallas or Denver offering up to $5M and Miami matching it. I hope and expect that we will keep Hartline. There is just too much of a supply of round 2-4 WR's to pay a premium for a guy without elite speed or devestating burst. Hartline is good ... but he's not Fred Biletnikoff inch perfect, nor is he Randy Moss phenomenal physical ability.

For me the biggest issue concerning FA WR's is the price premium on Mike Wallace. I fully expect Wallace to ask for and get $11M per year. He is ultra-fast and a proven devestating deep threat. He is young at 26 and probably has 6 good years left as a burner. So even a 5 year contract would work.

On the other hand, the guy who I think is and should be our top target, Greg Jennings, is more of an $8M per year guy. I know he wants more, and I know he expects more, and I know every team wants him ... but I just don't see any team spending $10M per year. Ultimately, we'll have to spend more than other teams to get him, and enough more than Green Bay to get him to come to Miami. His age, injury history and lack of elite deep speed will prevent the 5 year $47M contract offers. He might get a 4 year $36 offer, but that is what I would guess is the max he'd see. The opportunity to work with Philbin in a warm town like Miami, then gracefully pass the baton as he becomes the hallowed vet who gets one last contract in 4 years time probably appeals to him.

I don't see us paying a premium on Wallace when we can get more production from Jennings over the next 4 years. We can draft our deep threats to groom alongside/behind Jennings. Then we can use the $2M-$3M to contribute towards working on another area of our team ... like replacing John Jerry with Andy Levitre.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    we have a great up and coming reciever in matthews he will be great once he develops sign a top tier reciever let hartline walk for that money and bess too over paid for his lack of production draft stedman baily second round so... jennings matthews stedman baily bess(maybe) we need a fresh new look at the postion hartline is way overrated
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    However, we can forget that with another receiver or a solid TE.....Hartline won't get as many targets and won't be as valuable. His stats will be much lower and we have potential of over paying.....which we know Ireland doesn't typically do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fins1971 View Post
    I really don't think it it ridiculous that Hartline would be asking for $5-6M.
    If you look at the top free agent receivers from last year and what they signed for you will see his agent is right in line with the previous trends

Here is the list of top free agents receivers from last year and what they signed for. (minus Mike Wallace, tagged)

Vincent Jackson-5 yrs, $55.5M, $26M guaranteed
    Reggie Wayne- 3 yrs, $17.5M, $7.5M guaranteed
    Marques Colston- 5 yrs, $36.3M, $17.7 guaranteed
    Brandon Lloyd- 3 yrs, $12M, $3M guaranteed
    Robert Meachem- 4 yrs, $25.9M, $14M guaranteed
    Mario Manningham- 2 yrs, $7.375M, $3.2M guaranteed
    Laurent Robinson- 5 yrs, $32.5M, $13.8M guaranteed.
    Top Contract -$11.1M per year
    Bottom Contract-$3.7M per year
    Average contract of top 7 2012 free agents receivers- 3.8yrs, $26.7M, $12.2M guaranteed, Average $6.9M per year.

Hartline out perfromed 2 or 3 on that list with his past season

Source

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/wr.html

Now if we look at the top free agents receivers for 2013 Hartline is in that top seven

Source

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/1/29/...vers-available

Now maybe he ends up being the 6th or 7th best and has to settle for contracts like Manningham or Lloyd at $4M per year.

But nothing wrong with trying. This could be Hartline's only big payday of his career.

Not cheap to sign a top free agent receiver as we all know with Brandon Marshall signing and it doesn't always work out. (see manningham and Robinson from last year)

So does anyone really think we are going to sign 2 of the top 7 free agents receivers? (Jennings/hartline) (Jennings/wallace) (Wallace/Hartline)

I doubt it very much. You have to be able to find some playmaking receivers in the draft to be successful and keep your payroll in check.

I assume we sign one and then draft some more recievers.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The price for Free Agent receiver

I agree. Signing Hartline at 5 million a year is fine with me. He is worth it. He is not worth 7 million a year. Not sure about 6 million.
    Quote Quote