Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jamaica-theme Super Bowl ad: Racist?

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Jamaica-theme Super Bowl ad: Racist?

[youtube]UxXRHZNmzis[/youtube]

Some would like them to be joined by this VW ad about a happy-go-lucky white guy who tells his office mates to be happy in his Jamaican accent.

"It's pretty horrific," says Ricki Fairley-Brown, president of the multicultural marketing agency Dove Marketing. "Why do they have a white guy from Minnesota faking a Jamaican accent?"
    Even more tro
    ubled by the spot is Rochelle Newman-Carrasco, chief hispanic marketing strategist at Walton Isaacson, an African-American, Gay/Lesbian and Hispanic agency. "What happens in this ad is that the culture becomes a punch line, and that is offensive."

Pop cultural guru Barbara Lippert is not amused, either. "It made me uncomfortable to see all of those white people in an office setting doing this," she says. "I found it offensive."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...acism/1874213/

Blackface With Voices’: Is VW’s ‘Get Happy’ Super Bowl Ad Racist?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/blackface...owl-ad-racist/

Almost 40 years ago Mel Brooks made Blazing Saddles and people flocked to see that movie. It became an instant classic and people got it. You figure people would have got over this by now. Instead we've become such sensitive d-bags about this stuff.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    This is exactly the type of **** I was ranting about in the anything goes thread.

If you're offended by this you're a ****ing moron. This is actually one of the better commercials I've seen in a long time, & if they're forced to pull it it'll be a shame.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    "Respek, bossman" made me lose my ****

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's obviously racist - but not for the reasons cited.

There are plenty of actors who grew up in that culture and naturally speak that dialect and could have been cast in the commercial. The implication is that a person with dark skin would never have a job in a professional setting.

In addition, there's only ONE person with the characteristics of a "native Jamaican" cast in the entire commercial ... and that person is located at the front right of the elevator where the elevator operator would be in the past. The obvious implication that the only job in building suitable for a person with dark skin is pushing buttons on the elevator. I'm almost surprised that the producers did not have that actress in dread locks and wearing a bellhop type uniform.

I suppose if the script called for the commercial to be filmed after the office was closed for the day then the racist writers would have had a janitor in the background.
    “I’m somewhat disappointed that more African Americans don’t think for themselves and just go with whatever they’re supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post

There are plenty of actors who grew up in that culture and naturally speak that dialect and could have been cast in the commercial. The implication is that a person with dark skin would never have a job in a professional setting.

In addition, there's only ONE person with the characteristics of a "native Jamaican" cast in the entire commercial ... and that person is located at the front right of the elevator where the elevator operator would be in the past. The obvious implication that the only job in building suitable for a person with dark skin is pushing buttons on the elevator. I'm almost surprised that the producers did not have that actress in dread locks and wearing a bellhop type uniform.

I suppose if the script called for the commercial to be filmed after the office was closed for the day then the racist writers would have had a janitor in the background.

Go watch Teletubbies
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post

I think the only "implication" they are shooting for is that its hilarious to see a corporate white guy speaking with a heavy Jamaican accent. The commercial wouldnt be funny if they had a black Jamaican as the actor. It takes quite a bit of effort to come up with the conclusion that they are being racist.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Seriously, people look for any reason to be offended these days...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Sticky bun come soon.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the commericial was actually kind of funny. you know if they had a black guy with a jamacian accent instead the same race baiters would call it a "stereotype".
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I vote best commercial without even seeing the rest yet.
    Quote Quote