Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: How would you fill WR spot for 2013 Dolphins?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extend Hartline & draft top WR

7 20.00%
  • Hiring Wallace & extending Hartline

5 14.29%
  • Hiring Wallace & drafting second day WR

7 20.00%
  • Hiring some other FA & drafting top WR

11 31.43%
  • Drafting a pair of WR

5 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a team goes beyond drafting

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION Building a team goes beyond drafting

I (just like every forum member at finheaven) have been researching for candidates to be quality free agents, draft prospects and figuring on potential trades.

Also I'm evaluating our front office trying to have a realistic vision on the events to come.

I noticed (and sorry if this is not news) that Jeff Ireland seems to be an expert on evaluating draft prospects, that his job has been adequate on dealing with Dolphins' own free agents in terms of negotiating contract extensions, but his weakness is adding talent on free agency.

Every statistic used to compare his job shows he's a draft genius, with important additions in the recent years including starters for several positions: QB, LT, C, RT, LB, CB & DT. His main failure has been finding receivers and tight ends.

2013 is one of the weakest QB classes of all-times, but offers a great pool of talent at OT, DT, WR, CB & TE.

That said as free agency has been the weakest link of Jeff Ireland and with Dolphins on great position because of a fine salary cap, but I didn't find great options to upgrade TE and WR would be tricky out of Wallace and Bowe. In fact I think with a new regime in town, Dwayne Bowe will be back with Chiefs and Wallace will be top free agent, meaning he could select a team with better chances of success and easier free-agent negotiation.

As I don't see any trade that will add a WR or TE to Miami, we'll have huge problems.

This scares me because of Jeff Ireland history picking receivers in the draft. Also our needs could include lacking of LT, RB, WR, CB & FS.

Is there any other way to fix 2013 Dolphins roster?
    From Mexico, GO PHINS GO!!!
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jax.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I didn't see my option. Get Wallace, keep Hartline, and draft a rd.1 or 2 wr. Kinda all depends on if we can get Milliner at 12.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post

I noticed (and sorry if this is not news) that Jeff Ireland seems to be an expert on evaluating draft prospects, that his job has been adequate on dealing with Dolphins' own free agents in terms of negotiating contract extensions, but his weakness is adding talent on free agency.
    A genius? He is far from being a genius. I will say that he is better at drafting than picking up FAs. This is strange, at least to me, because are FAs not a known quantity and draft picks are somewhat a mystery as to how well they will perform at the next level? You give Ireland far too much credit.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    A very true statement. You CAN"T build a team exclusively through the draft. You can bring in some blue chip players, but you need to surround them with vets and role players, I've been an Islanders fan my entire life, they still haven't figured this out yet, hopefully the Fins do!
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Captain Wine Cooler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sign Wallace, draft Stedman Bailey and/or Robert Woods on day two. Keep Bess, Matthews and Binns.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by zach attach View Post
    I didn't see my option. Get Wallace, keep Hartline, and draft a rd.1 or 2 wr. Kinda all depends on if we can get Milliner at 12.
    ^^
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKphin View Post
    A genius? He is far from being a genius. I will say that he is better at drafting than picking up FAs. This is strange, at least to me, because are FAs not a known quantity and draft picks are somewhat a mystery as to how well they will perform at the next level? You give Ireland far too much credit.
    Time will tell if Ireland is a genius. I will say he doesn't get the credit he should get for his drafts. Ireland's drafts have gotten much better since Parcells left. We had the second youngest team in the NFL last year. He's created a ton of cap space, and players he's are improving each year. Before I get lambasted by Ireland haters...Yes I know he's drafted some players that have busted. Every GM in the NFL has. I will say Ireland is a good GM. If you disagree with me all I have to say is look at the Jets. Things could be a lot worse.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post

Every statistic used to compare his job shows he's a draft genius, with important additions in the recent years including starters for several positions: ..., LT, ....

This scares me because of Jeff Ireland history picking receivers in the draft. Also our needs could include lacking of LT, ...
    Am I the only here who sees how absurd it is that a player who cost us the first pick in the draft is described as an example of genius drafting at the same time as that same player is considered a position of need?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKphin View Post
    Nope, numbers offered such conclusion. Several stats show he's on top 5 adding starters to the league (that doesn't mean just the Dolphins).

The thing is Draft offers a large evaluation process that dictates if a player has the tools to execute the plays that the team is planning to try with him.
    On FA you have a short time to decide and make certain financial offer to guys that could hear several offers at the same time.

Those are very different tasks.

Let's say you have a dog show judge.
    He must be an expert on telling how well each contender represents the standard of its breed. At dog show he will look for imperfections and could ask them to walk and get every angle.
    Now the same guy must go to black-market and choice ten dogs for a rich guy. He won't have the time to pick the tail or see tooth. There are going to be several suitors. And finally several dogs will be old, with a broken ear or some sickness.
    The same expert could fail on selecting dogs.

NOTE: I have been a dog breeder for several years, so when I compare humans to dogs I do it without trying to insult anyone, dogs or humans.

So Jeff is good while evaluating talent, but a rude negotiator, he's a control freak who wants to reduce the payment and surely lost several chances with important free agents.
    In conclusion all Ireland needs, is some assistant to deal with free agency in a warmer way. A guy capable of preparing quick offers and a chart of free agents qualities, just like scouts evaluate draft prospects.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z926538 View Post
    Am I the only here who sees how absurd it is that a player who cost us the first pick in the draft is described as an example of genius drafting at the same time as that same player is considered a position of need?
    Or starting LT is a guy who was pro-bowler on his first three years, was picked to play on a different style of offense and his contract expired. He will be starter somewhere else unless he accepts a lower role with Dolphins. The pick was correct at such time.

Jake Long is the prototypical body guard, an immense strong guy. Under Sparano, the team was looking for protection for a pocket passer and a fine blocker for old school running game. Now with Philbin Dolphins are switching to zone blocking scheme, where offensive lien uses speed and athleticism more than size and strength.

Think about the switch we got at RB when Ronnie & Ricky left and Reggie was the replacement. All of them are running backs, but of different conditions.

Well with that in mind as Miami needs to find a different kind of players to install the designed protection, it's a fact Jake is asking too much money for a role that requires another type of player.

So It's not an absurd, it's part of business. It will be a win-win situation, Miami will find an adequate player and Jake Long will get a big check starting somewhere else.
    Quote Quote