Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: How would you fill WR spot for 2013 Dolphins?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extend Hartline & draft top WR

7 20.00%
  • Hiring Wallace & extending Hartline

5 14.29%
  • Hiring Wallace & drafting second day WR

7 20.00%
  • Hiring some other FA & drafting top WR

11 31.43%
  • Drafting a pair of WR

5 14.29%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a team goes beyond drafting

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zach attach View Post
    I didn't see my option. Get Wallace, keep Hartline, and draft a rd.1 or 2 wr. Kinda all depends on if we can get Milliner at 12.
    That option was out of question in my mind because I assume you will need to fill several other holes like TE, CB, S, OL & DT.
    Using that many resources at WR looked incompatible with cap issues and quality control.

Clarify your option please.
    From Mexico, GO PHINS GO!!!
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfin View Post
    Sign Wallace, draft Stedman Bailey and/or Robert Woods on day two. Keep Bess, Matthews and Binns.
    I think that sounds pretty fine.
    That leads me to get a pair of doubts.
    Who else would you hire on free agency? And what's your first round pick on the draft?
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    The world is your's...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've accepted that getting both Wallace and Jennings is not realistic. I want Wallace, Keller at TE, then draft best available WR in the top of the 2nd. Even if we had to give up one of our thirds to trade up a tad for Terrence Williams or Deandre Hopkins, I would go nuts if we got either of those two.

"I don't have pet peeves, I have psychotic ****ing hatred"
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia411 View Post
    I've accepted that getting both Wallace and Jennings is not realistic. I want Wallace, Keller at TE, then draft best available WR in the top of the 2nd. Even if we had to give up one of our thirds to trade up a tad for Terrence Williams or Deandre Hopkins, I would go nuts if we got either of those two.
    In fact I'm assuming getting Wallace or Jennings or Bowe is unrealistic with Miami Dolphins having too many holes to fix in the upcoming free agency.
    As posted in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post
    If my sources are right, Dolphins could be about $44.5M under salary cap, that leads to interesting scenarios. Also in my poor opinion, Karlos Dansby will be asked to restructure his current contract and accept some pay cut. Also Dimitri Patterson will be cut to recover $4.5M.
    Those moves could lead to add something close to increase cap space by something close to $6.5M .

Hartline could make a home-town discount if Dolphins commit to extended contract and I'm talking of a $5M/year in a 4-5 years contract. With that in mind and if those numbers are right, I would extend Randy Starks, Chris Clemons & Brian Hartline to create continuity and reward great effort.
    Extending Own Free Agents Hartline, Starks & Clemons: $14M

Since his agent claimed Jake Long's services are in the $10M+ range, I understood he will be starting elsewhere. Also beyond money issues, Jake just doesn't fit the speed, agile style of O-Liner that Philbin is looking for. So with that in mind and thinking that number is the same than the sum of hiring Andy Levitre and Sebastian Vollmer, it's a serious upgrade for a weak O-Line.
    Upgrading offensive line: $10.5M

Anthony Fasano has great hands, but Dolphins are in great position to upgrade the spot. With Jared Cook and Dustin Keller at similar price tags, it's time for a change. Everybody could select a different guy, but having a yearly exhibition of his capacities, I would pick Dustin Keller. Also Todd Heap is available and after the Arizona disaster, could come for cheap.
    Upgrading tight end spot: $6.5M

If each of the top free agent wide receivers have similar price-tag and knowing each of them offers different abilities, I would hire Mike Wallace. But since this is going to be Jeff Ireland's job he will pick a cheaper guy, let's say Josh Cribbs, with a much cap-friendly contract.
    Upgrading wide receiver spot: $4.5M

Running backs are cheaper each year because rule changes have created a pass happy league, where running backs are used in tandems so instead of using old school RB to carry the load, most teams use 2-3 guys. So if Reggiie Bush wants something above the $4M, he will be playing on a team out of Miami. To replace him I would opt to increase the load on Lamar Miller and draft another RB. Adding Peyton Hillis could be as cheap as $2.5M and surely would upgrade our running tandem.
    Fixing backfield: $2.5M

Sean Smith is a great example of how different are every-down player and situational players. Sean Smith is a red zone stopper that has excellent results against physical receivers like Julio Jones, but a CB needs to make several functions and Sean is weak at most. He isn't a zone coverage guy, his skills are among worst while attempting to seal a corner to running game and his tackling technique is questionable for saying the least. Conclusion he is unworthy of a big payment like that. Such salary could be used on a better CB free agent, let's say Marcus Trufant.
    Upgrading secondary defense: $7M

Those movements would allow Jeff to have an easy task at draft, focusing on finding quality young guys for: WR, CB, OLB, & RB. Also could use late rounds to pick a new QB project and a K to push on Carpenter.
    There's a chance none of the top free agents (Wallace, Bowe & Jennings) will be wearing a Dolphins' jersey on 2013.
    But Jeff Ireland will claim he signed his own top free agent WR: Brian Hartline.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia411 View Post
    I want Wallace, Keller at TE, then draft best available WR in the top of the 2nd.
    I hope we have nothing to do with Keller. Living on Long Island and having a Jet fan family, I've seen more than enough Jets games. Keller can make circus catches, but that's about all he is good for. If you see him enough, it will astonish you how many times he drops a pass thrown right into his numbers, or takes a pass off the helmet because he isn't paying attention. Trust me, you want nothing to do with Dustin Keller.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TealAttack13 View Post
    I hope we have nothing to do with Keller. Living on Long Island and having a Jet fan family, I've seen more than enough Jets games. Keller can make circus catches, but that's about all he is good for. If you see him enough, it will astonish you how many times he drops a pass thrown right into his numbers, or takes a pass off the helmet because he isn't paying attention. Trust me, you want nothing to do with Dustin Keller.
    What do you think about Jared Cook?
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post
    What do you think about Jared Cook?
    I think he's a better option. If you look at his stats, while he hasn't been targeted as much, he doesn't drop as many passes which is a big issue with Keller. Cook made 61% of his passes throughout his career. Keller has only made 58%. Cook is also a little speedier than Keller is. I haven't seen as much of Cook as I have as Keller, but what I have seen has been better. Plus, Keller will cost you more money, and he is older and battled injuries last season.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Forgot to mention, Keller is also buttfumble's favorite target. He does have some chemistry with him. The Jets have made it pretty clear they are sticking with buttfumble, since he's had a hand in picking the new offensive coordinator, so I doubt they would let Keller go unless they really needed to shed contracts.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Forgot to mention, Keller is also buttfumble's favorite target. He does have some chemistry with him. The Jets have made it pretty clear they are sticking with buttfumble, since he's had a hand in picking the new offensive coordinator, so I doubt they would let Keller go unless they really needed to shed contracts.
    NY Jets' cap situation is among worst of the league. They have a big issue to solve on finding cap space.
    Full info here

Also as they need to acquire key players to start a new offense it's unlikely they could offer TE Dustin Keller a decent proposal.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think he's a better option. If you look at his stats, while he hasn't been targeted as much, he doesn't drop as many passes which is a big issue with Keller. Cook made 61% of his passes throughout his career. Keller has only made 58%. Cook is also a little speedier than Keller is. I haven't seen as much of Cook as I have as Keller, but what I have seen has been better. Plus, Keller will cost you more money, and he is older and battled injuries last season.
    Ok, so the Jared Cook/Todd Heap tandem sounds fine?
    Quote Quote