Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55

Thread: BioShock Infinite

  1. -31
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,793
    vCash:
    4794
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Been playing for about 40 minutes. Just like the original, exploration is rewarded. Would recommend searching around even in the beginning.

    Anyways, true to form Gamestop didnt give instructions on how to redeem your Industrial Revolution rewards(although i was able to redeem the shotgun). Anyone able to get theirs?
    When I pick it up this evening I'll let you know. Figures I have a late evening the day this comes out...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  2. -32
    FinsNCanes's Avatar
    9-7

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    6,626
    vCash:
    1304
    Loc:
    Asheville, North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kthurmus23 View Post
    Ah cool, totally understandable. Makes it easier to transition between the systems. I did the same when I was back and forth between PC and my Playstation consoles. About two years ago I decided to make the permanent switch to PC, only because I had to spend so much on this damn video card. I want to get as much out of it as I can.
    You won't want to go back to consoles after gaming on a PC. If you're smart about it, sell things off, you can upgrade your rig (to date) for the cost of a PS4.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -33
    Spesh's Avatar
    Fat Kid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    7,877
    vCash:
    3374
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsNCanes View Post
    I never got into Bioshock, granted I only played the first one. What I got from the game though was very generic. I understand the atmosphere is rather cool, but the combat to the actual enemies (felt like there was only 3 different kinds) and the "powers"" (O.OOo electricity and fire, woo) was just very "meh" to me. I didn't get very far into the game though, didn't do it for me.

    It's hard for me to do single player FPS games though. Unless it's something more along the lines of an RPG, then maybe, but at that point I'd rather just play an MMO.
    Its not a game thats for everyone, thats for sure.

    But out of curiosity, i have to ask: how did you play it? Did you just run from one mission to the next, looking for enemies to shoot? As for the powers, did you use them in with the environment? And how interested are you in politics? As a FPS its very average. The mechanics are adequate but hardly special. Things like having to unequip your gun to use your powers was obviously an easily correctable mistake in hindsight. And weapons are imbalanced, as there was very little reason not to use your shotgun the entire game(the machine gun was especially crappy).

    All of that said, the game was not meant to be only a FPS. The levels are designed to be methodically explored, and you will be rewarded for doing so. When interviewed Ken Levine insisted Bioshock was largely a mystery game. It makes sense. By finding recordings you slowly unravel what happened to this underwater utopia. How things progressively dissolved. Personally, i was blown away by how logical and clever the designers were. In a society built around the free market economy what would be the worse thing imaginable? Theft and smuggling. I still recall walking into a new area and seeing the slaughtered body of a smuggler hung up as a warning. What was he guilty of smuggling in a Ayn Randian society? Bibles. Small additions like that made the levels that much more exciting and riveting.

    As for the powers, they are designed to be used with the levels themselves. During one of the early boss fights you are only allowed to have a wrench as a weapon. But there was no way for them to take away your powers. The battle took place in what appeared to be a giant fridge. Using various traps as distractions, id duck behind cover and set the enemies on fire. Theyd immediately start lunging for a patch of unfrozen water. After they leapt in to put out the fire, id immediately lightning bolt the water. Just one of the many examples of turning the levels to your advantage. Taking on a Big Daddy straight up is suicide. My favorite way of taking them down was setting up a variety of traps in a room, setting the Big Daddy on fire, running out of the room as he got hung up, then begin launching heat seeking missles back through the doorway.

    While there might have been only a few types of enemies, watching them interact before a fight was awesome, disturbing, and a bit frightening. I was once able to sneak up on one because she was hovering over a craddle pleading about how she never wanted to give "her" up. After i cut the bitch down, i checked the craddle...empty. Ive had enemies attacking me as they screamed about how lonely they were. Ive heard the clanking of steps coming towards me, quickly searching around i couldnt immediately find the enemy until my flashlight hit the ceiling: a splicer was using hooks to walk like a crab towards me. In a section with apparently heaving smuggling, ive had enemies charge me with melee weapons screaming "He" died for our sins. Ive caught clearly otherwise insane enemies still slow dancing with their spouses. Watching Little Sisters hold hands with the creatures they lovingly refer to as "Mr. Bubbles" was alittle depressing. As was watching a Big Daddy, after i freed all the Little Sisters in an area, mournfully moan in complete confusion when a Little Sister fails to respond to their knocks on a vent.

    If you tried all of that stuff and found it boring, then no biggie. One cant argue taste after all. If you just tried to play it like any other first person shooter and missed all of that stuff, id recommend replaying it. The game can be completed in around 8-10 hours. But its better played slowly and methodically. I dumped 20 hours into it and, as you can tell, didnt regret it.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -34
    FinsNCanes's Avatar
    9-7

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    6,626
    vCash:
    1304
    Loc:
    Asheville, North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Its not a game thats for everyone, thats for sure.

    But out of curiosity, i have to ask: how did you play it? Did you just run from one mission to the next, looking for enemies to shoot? As for the powers, did you use them in with the environment? And how interested are you in politics? As a FPS its very average. The mechanics are adequate but hardly special. Things like having to unequip your gun to use your powers was obviously an easily correctable mistake in hindsight. And weapons are imbalanced, as there was very little reason not to use your shotgun the entire game(the machine gun was especially crappy).

    All of that said, the game was not meant to be only a FPS. The levels are designed to be methodically explored, and you will be rewarded for doing so. When interviewed Ken Levine insisted Bioshock was largely a mystery game. It makes sense. By finding recordings you slowly unravel what happened to this underwater utopia. How things progressively dissolved. Personally, i was blown away by how logical and clever the designers were. In a society built around the free market economy what would be the worse thing imaginable? Theft and smuggling. I still recall walking into a new area and seeing the slaughtered body of a smuggler hung up as a warning. What was he guilty of smuggling in a Ayn Randian society? Bibles. Small additions like that made the levels that much more exciting and riveting.

    As for the powers, they are designed to be used with the levels themselves. During one of the early boss fights you are only allowed to have a wrench as a weapon. But there was no way for them to take away your powers. The battle took place in what appeared to be a giant fridge. Using various traps as distractions, id duck behind cover and set the enemies on fire. Theyd immediately start lunging for a patch of unfrozen water. After they leapt in to put out the fire, id immediately lightning bolt the water. Just one of the many examples of turning the levels to your advantage. Taking on a Big Daddy straight up is suicide. My favorite way of taking them down was setting up a variety of traps in a room, setting the Big Daddy on fire, running out of the room as he got hung up, then begin launching heat seeking missles back through the doorway.

    While there might have been only a few types of enemies, watching them interact before a fight was awesome, disturbing, and a bit frightening. I was once able to sneak up on one because she was hovering over a craddle pleading about how she never wanted to give "her" up. After i cut the bitch down, i checked the craddle...empty. Ive had enemies attacking me as they screamed about how lonely they were. Ive heard the clanking of steps coming towards me, quickly searching around i couldnt immediately find the enemy until my flashlight hit the ceiling: a splicer was using hooks to walk like a crab towards me. In a section with apparently heaving smuggling, ive had enemies charge me with melee weapons screaming "He" died for our sins. Ive caught clearly otherwise insane enemies still slow dancing with their spouses. Watching Little Sisters hold hands with the creatures they lovingly refer to as "Mr. Bubbles" was alittle depressing. As was watching a Big Daddy, after i freed all the Little Sisters in an area, mournfully moan in complete confusion when a Little Sister fails to respond to their knocks on a vent.

    If you tried all of that stuff and found it boring, then no biggie. One cant argue taste after all. If you just tried to play it like any other first person shooter and missed all of that stuff, id recommend replaying it. The game can be completed in around 8-10 hours. But its better played slowly and methodically. I dumped 20 hours into it and, as you can tell, didnt regret it.
    I didn't put much time into it so I'm not going to say the series sucks or anything. I guess they are heavy on story, which is fine, just not for me when it comes to an FPS. I'd rather play something along the lines of say Hitman, or maybe Fallout. The same reason Bioshock (lack of characters) was the same reason I was turned off from The Witcher. I was like, why the hell does every other NPC have the same face? Not engaging when talking about an RPG.

    I prefer single player 3rd person if anything. I feel Bioschock would make an amazing RPG probably, just not my thing for a shooter. I don't know how old you are, but I also think I'm kind of stuck in a rut when it comes to games. I'm 30 now, so I grew up playing what I feel were just more in depth/harder/challenging games than they are now, which is almost a fact at this point.

    The Last of Us has me intrigued.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -35
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,793
    vCash:
    4794
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsNCanes View Post
    I didn't put much time into it so I'm not going to say the series sucks or anything. I guess they are heavy on story, which is fine, just not for me when it comes to an FPS. I'd rather play something along the lines of say Hitman, or maybe Fallout. The same reason Bioshock (lack of characters) was the same reason I was turned off from The Witcher. I was like, why the hell does every other NPC have the same face? Not engaging when talking about an RPG.

    I prefer single player 3rd person if anything. I feel Bioschock would make an amazing RPG probably, just not my thing for a shooter. I don't know how old you are, but I also think I'm kind of stuck in a rut when it comes to games. I'm 30 now, so I grew up playing what I feel were just more in depth/harder/challenging games than they are now, which is almost a fact at this point.

    The Last of Us has me intrigued.
    You and I both, my friend. I've always been heavily into RPGs, and nothing will ever live up on that run on Super Nintendo (Final fantasy 2&3, crono trigger, secret of evermore, etc) and early on for the PS1 (final fantasy 7,8,9, legend of dragoon, xenogears, etc). Granted games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc are amazing, but it's just not the same. I actually really enjoyed Tales of Vesperia on Xbox, which reminded me of those old games. They just aren't the same anymore...
    Quote Quote  

  6. -36
    Spesh's Avatar
    Fat Kid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    7,877
    vCash:
    3374
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsNCanes View Post
    I didn't put much time into it so I'm not going to say the series sucks or anything. I guess they are heavy on story, which is fine, just not for me when it comes to an FPS. I'd rather play something along the lines of say Hitman, or maybe Fallout. The same reason Bioshock (lack of characters) was the same reason I was turned off from The Witcher. I was like, why the hell does every other NPC have the same face? Not engaging when talking about an RPG.

    I prefer single player 3rd person if anything. I feel Bioschock would make an amazing RPG probably, just not my thing for a shooter. I don't know how old you are, but I also think I'm kind of stuck in a rut when it comes to games. I'm 30 now, so I grew up playing what I feel were just more in depth/harder/challenging games than they are now, which is almost a fact at this point.

    The Last of Us has me intrigued.
    Fair enough, didnt mean to sound judgemental or anything, just wanted to give an informed opinion on what you might of missed out on. See if any of it sparked an interest.

    I absolutely get your preferance for 3rd person shooters, im the same way. It takes a game that does something different and interesting for me to pick it up if theyre a FPS. Bioshock and Far Cry 3 have been about it. Well, also Halo, but thats a straight up abusive relationship.

    To be fair, the Irrational Games seems to understand about the challenge of current games. Their first game as Irrational(many worked on the Thief series before it fell apart) was System Shock 2, apparently a unrelentingly difficult game. In order to go back to that type of gaming, they made a "1999 mode" in Infinite. I believe it has to be unlocked(i couldnt immediately find it when starting my game) but its suppose to be grueling. If you dont spec your character correctly or mismanage your money, your done. The game will be to difficult to complete and you'll have to restart. Im going to be diving into that after i beat the Hard campaign im playing now.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -37
    Spesh's Avatar
    Fat Kid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    7,877
    vCash:
    3374
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    When I pick it up this evening I'll let you know. Figures I have a late evening the day this comes out...
    Update on this: apparently late last night i got an email from Irrational games saying my rewards were ready and to just click on the link. I proceeded to do so and it takes me to the puzzle games main page. Went to the rewards section and under the "in game" tab it says "pending...". At this point, im fairly certain the game is trying to screw with my head

    I suppose the Industrial Revolution rewards arent connected to Gamestop and its Irrational thats messing up. Id apologize to Gamestop but im sure theyre currently in the process of screwing something up for someone.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -38
    Kthurmus23's Avatar
    Tweet@KJoneZ13

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2005
    Posts:
    1,144
    vCash:
    1043
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Fair enough, didnt mean to sound judgemental or anything, just wanted to give an informed opinion on what you might of missed out on. See if any of it sparked an interest.

    I absolutely get your preferance for 3rd person shooters, im the same way. It takes a game that does something different and interesting for me to pick it up if theyre a FPS. Bioshock and Far Cry 3 have been about it. Well, also Halo, but thats a straight up abusive relationship.

    To be fair, the Irrational Games seems to understand about the challenge of current games. Their first game as Irrational(many worked on the Thief series before it fell apart) was System Shock 2, apparently a unrelentingly difficult game. In order to go back to that type of gaming, they made a "1999 mode" in Infinite. I believe it has to be unlocked(i couldnt immediately find it when starting my game) but its suppose to be grueling. If you dont spec your character correctly or mismanage your money, your done. The game will be to difficult to complete and you'll have to restart. Im going to be diving into that after i beat the Hard campaign im playing now.
    1999 mode has to be unlocked to get it in the menu but you can get it right off the hop with a code. The code is different for all 3 systems and can be found if you do a google search. I am also going to start on hard for the first play through though, just got off work so will be starting soon.

    You won't want to go back to consoles after gaming on a PC. If you're smart about it, sell things off, you can upgrade your rig (to date) for the cost of a PS4.
    That's the plan, I have actually always preferred mouse and keyboard. I may get a PS4 down the road when the price drops a bunch just for exclusive content, that is the only reason that I bought a PS3 anyway but I have always been a PC guy.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -39
    Mike13's Avatar
    You could have had free beer, for shame

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    19,365
    vCash:
    7064
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Personally, i was blown away by how logical and clever the designers were. In a society built around the free market economy what would be the worse thing imaginable? Theft and smuggling. I still recall walking into a new area and seeing the slaughtered body of a smuggler hung up as a warning. What was he guilty of smuggling in a Ayn Randian society? Bibles. Small additions like that made the levels that much more exciting and riveting.
    This, Bioshock had excellent envoirnmental storytelling.
    Once Dmac is drafted a Dmac Jersey will spontaneously materialize in the closet of each and every Dolfan...

    ...and not that replica crap either...
    Quote Quote  

  10. -40
    Spesh's Avatar
    Fat Kid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    7,877
    vCash:
    3374
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, came across my first bug. Might be the first bug of the series for me. At one point i started jogging extremely slow. Even sprint was like walking through drying cement. It should be noted that i found this bug during particular story part(which i wont say for obvious reasons), so that might be the only time you can get it. If anyone runs into the problem, quit to main menu. I would not recommend restarting from checkpoint. During a different part of the game, i did that and zoomed back to a far earlier point then expected. Apparently autosaves dont update the checkpoint.

    Also, got the Industrial Revolution rewards. Apparently using Internet Explorer to try and get them is the most offensive thing in the history of humanity. Used Firefox and was fine.

    Finally, if your not using the "blood to salt" gear, your playing wrong That thing is insane.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Thank you front office for your infinite wisdom.
    By dolphinfan41 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 03:27 PM
  2. Bioshock movie on its way
    By CitizenSnips in forum Gaming Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 11:23 AM
  3. Bioshock 2 announced
    By CitizenSnips in forum Gaming Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 02:07 PM
  4. Bioshock to PS3 rumors... again
    By Dolfan5000 in forum Gaming Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 08:49 PM
  5. Rumor Control -- BioShock Heading to the PS3?
    By mor911 in forum Gaming Forum
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 11:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •