Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Dolphins-Redskins Superbowl XVII - 30 years ago today.

  1. -31
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    404
    vCash:
    1483
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was 13 years old and I vividly remember how exciting that entire 82 playoff run was. I think we had like 15 interceptions in the four playoff games, including 5 apiece against Fouts and Todd. In the Super Bowl, I remember scoring quickly, then driving for what looked like another score when Woodley was blindsided and fumbled. That played seemed to give the Redskins life because we were dominating up to that point.

    Years later, I heard Shula talking about not making the switch to Strock earlier. He said had Walker not returned the kickoff right before half, he was going to make the change to Strock in the second half. But after we got the lead back, he didn't think it was the right thing to do. Woodley was brutal the second half and never did recover.

    That was such a special group. I remember a Sports Illustrated article on the Killer B's and it showed how all the different units hung out together. Showed the secondary eating dinner together and the linebackers hanging out by someone's truck drinking beers. Those guys were actually friends off the field and had a bond I don't think you'll ever see again in sports.

    I miss those days.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -32
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    404
    vCash:
    1483
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    That wasn't the play, it was earlier where he did recover a clear fumble but they gave it back to you.



    To be fair Rex grossman made a SB and as great as Don was he never won a SB w/ a guy who is arguably the best QB of all time who he had for 12-13 years.

    Yep, Woody Bennett fumbled, but they said the whistle blew. Was a bad call and I remember Walt Michaels being beside himself on the sideline.

    I'm guessing there are still Jet fans mad about the field conditions. It rained that night before and the morning of the game and there were rumors the Dolphins left the field uncovered to take away the Jets supposed speed advantage. I heard a New York radio host interviewing Shula a few years ago and he kept bringing this up. Shula was getting pretty steamed. The guy was a moron and wouldn't let it drop and wasted what should have been a good interview.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -33
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,350
    vCash:
    29285
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by finforlife View Post
    Yep, Woody Bennett fumbled, but they said the whistle blew. Was a bad call and I remember Walt Michaels being beside himself on the sideline.

    I'm guessing there are still Jet fans mad about the field conditions. It rained that night before and the morning of the game and there were rumors the Dolphins left the field uncovered to take away the Jets supposed speed advantage. I heard a New York radio host interviewing Shula a few years ago and he kept bringing this up. Shula was getting pretty steamed. The guy was a moron and wouldn't let it drop and wasted what should have been a good interview.
    Many jet fans still comaplain about the field but you beat us twice in the reg season on good fields and both teams played ont he same field. You guys adapted better. I do think it hurt us and it was a little shady what Shula did BUT Miami earned the win.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -34
    Daytona Fin's Avatar
    Rex's Last Stand

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2002
    Posts:
    15,515
    vCash:
    34845
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    I do think it hurt us and it was a little shady what Shula did BUT Miami earned the win.
    It wasn't shady , it was home field advantage.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -35
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2005
    Posts:
    3,234
    vCash:
    3967
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman529 View Post
    Yeah we definitely had our chances. That is what made the game so frustrating. Also, I somehow thought Walker's kickoff TD return was at the start of the game....maybe I had this confused with Ted Ginn running back an opening kick in some game. Your mind plays tricks on you over the years, but I will never forget how Bokamper got the sure pick and TD slapped out of his hands by Theismann. Thanks to the poster for posting the Theismann-Bokamper play. Then a few years later Dan Marino and the Phins played San Fran in the Superbowl and we got beat again ...and we haven't been back to the SB since. I just hope we can get back soon and win it. The Dolphins have had 5 trips to the SB....2 wins back to back, and three losses....to the Cowboys, Redskins and Niners. Some teams have NEVER played in a SB so you have to take the good with the bad.
    True. My brother's a Viking fan and he's team got pounded every time they got to the super bowl. I kind of took for granted those early super bowl wins, but now I'm knocking on 50 and I'm ready for more!
    Last edited by SF Dolphin Fan; 02-02-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -36
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2005
    Posts:
    3,234
    vCash:
    3967
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finforlife View Post
    I was 13 years old and I vividly remember how exciting that entire 82 playoff run was. I think we had like 15 interceptions in the four playoff games, including 5 apiece against Fouts and Todd. In the Super Bowl, I remember scoring quickly, then driving for what looked like another score when Woodley was blindsided and fumbled. That played seemed to give the Redskins life because we were dominating up to that point.

    Years later, I heard Shula talking about not making the switch to Strock earlier. He said had Walker not returned the kickoff right before half, he was going to make the change to Strock in the second half. But after we got the lead back, he didn't think it was the right thing to do. Woodley was brutal the second half and never did recover.

    That was such a special group. I remember a Sports Illustrated article on the Killer B's and it showed how all the different units hung out together. Showed the secondary eating dinner together and the linebackers hanging out by someone's truck drinking beers. Those guys were actually friends off the field and had a bond I don't think you'll ever see again in sports.

    I miss those days.
    Yeah, I guess it's hard to pull a qb when your team has the lead at half. Plus, Woodley had seemed to turn a corner a little bit in the playoffs and started pretty well in the Super Bowl. But, had Shula made the switch we likely win the game.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -37
    SouthPaul's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    137
    vCash:
    700
    Loc:
    Middletown, Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I remember this game vividly, as I was in High School at the time and when I came home from school my older Brother, who was a Skins fan, took my stuffed Dolphins I had got from Disney and hung them over the banister of our deck with a big sign that read "FISH FRY IN ANAHEIM!". I was so pissed. Everyone else in my family were also Redskins fans so I was out on an island watching this game. I had all of my Miami Dolphin paraphernalia with me in my chair and when Miami scored I would scream and yell and when the Redskins scored they would all point and yell at me. When Riggins broke that long TD, I was almost in tears. I still get reminded of that game to this day.

    The cool thing though was that when Fulton Walker returned that kickoff for a TD, everyone was yelling and cheering for him to get it as he was from our hometown.

    Quote Quote  

  8. -38
    royalshank's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    1,586
    vCash:
    11505
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Many jet fans still comaplain about the field but you beat us twice in the reg season on good fields and both teams played ont he same field. You guys adapted better. I do think it hurt us and it was a little shady what Shula did BUT Miami earned the win.
    Hey - at least we didn't turn the sprinklers on in the MIDDLE of the game like we did to Seattle this year - LOL. How did Richard Todd ever throw that ill-fated pick to Duhe? That was the case cracker...
    Quote Quote  

  9. -39
    PASQUALE's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2001
    Posts:
    1,117
    vCash:
    1136
    Loc:
    BILLINGS, MONTANA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This was my first Super Bowl I went to 2 in my lifetime XVII and XIX. I was 12 years old and my Dad took me to the Rose Bowl on January 30, 1983 for SUPER BOWL XVII. I cried like a baby when we loss 27-17. **** 30 years, I still have my ticket stub. It's locked up in my safe. I am going to pass it down to my son when I die.


    GO DOLPHINS!!

    2012 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS LOS ANGELES KINGS!!
    Quote Quote  

  10. -40
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,350
    vCash:
    29285
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by royalshank View Post
    Hey - at least we didn't turn the sprinklers on in the MIDDLE of the game like we did to Seattle this year - LOL. How did Richard Todd ever throw that ill-fated pick to Duhe? That was the case cracker...
    Todd played in 4 postseason games in his career, he threw 12 INTs
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. 3 years...SUPERBOWL.
    By 16phinsrfast in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 10:28 AM
  2. This years Superbowl ads
    By Majpain in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 12:19 AM
  3. Nfl Network Reairing 1st Dolphins/ Redskins Superbowl
    By adamprez2003 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 07:41 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 09:46 AM
  5. What this years SuperBowl means to the NFL...
    By Ricky N Ronnie in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •