Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Miami go after Andy Levitre?

1. -31
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    i doubt levitre is in play for us...i don't know buffalos cap situation but i'm also doubting they let him walk...

as for moving cog to the right guard where his mauling straight ahead style fits better...DUH...been saying that for years
    Theyve got more signings to make than they have cap space, he's not expected to stay. Would be a great signings for us. As for Incog at RG, that's hardly Theory of Relativity stuff, now is it???!!! He joined us as a RG and moved to LG, he also said he prefers RG.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    Theyve got more signings to make than they have cap space, he's not expected to stay. Would be a great signings for us. As for Incog at RG, that's hardly Theory of Relativity stuff, now is it???!!! He joined us as a RG and moved to LG, he also said he prefers RG.
    never said it was anything earth shattering about incog should be a right guard...just sayin if he had come here with me calling the shots he wouldn't be manning the left side...

as for the guys that are up for free agencv in buff give me names and how much cap space they have...i can probably guess the priorities...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The initial theory on Incognito at LG was that with Jake Long being such a good pass blocker he really wouldn't need to provide the pass protection help at LG that he would have to provide at RG because our RT was far shakier at the time. The reality is that Martin's play has been just as bad as Colombo's and we can't really move Incognito to RG yet. Now, if Martin makes a huge improvement in the power department, no longer is among the worst T's in the league at blocking bull rushes, and is freed up to play a more neutral stance where his good feet and athletic skills can do well against speed rushers, things might change. But, if we don't resign Long or draft Fisher/Johnson, then we'll need to move Martin over to LT, where he will definitely need Levitre's help against the pass rush. That almost necessitates Incognito moving over to RG, and puts our pass pro on the right side in serious jeopardy.

I simply don't see how we let Long walk without bringing in at least 1 veteran OL. Nobody fits our team better than Levitre.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    martin has not been as bad as colombo on the right side digital...that's a stretch and a half...colombo was as stiff as they come and a turnstile...
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I never said they were comparable athletically. But we helped Martin out a lot and he still got beat for among the most hurries and pressures in the league. His need to overset against the bull rush left him horribly ill prepared for speed rushes, so he got beat by just about everything 1v1 last year. Last year Martin was atrocious, even with a mountain of help. I've stated in other threads how I have hope forhim, but I'm not going to cover my eyes and ignore the tape. He was very very bad last year, and we ran less snaps than most teams too.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    also if levitre does leave and he's the big fish on the free agent guard scene you're probably looking at north of $7 mil per to land him...i don't think he's the same level free agent upgrade that carl nicks was looked at last year or a logan mankins had he left new england...so $8 mil per for andy levitre...ehhhhh...lot of coin
    Quote Quote  

7. -37

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    colombos the worst looking starting right tackle with what he showed us that i've seen other than those bums the cards ran out there with in 2012...bout on the same level...

as for the overset vs the bull rush overset is usually to compensate or overstep on the initial kick step to deal with speed on the outside leaving guys off balance when a guy redirects and gets under his pad level with the bull rush...or gives him a quick up and under move...martin doesn't possess elite left tackle feet or athleticism but his issue imo is more about upper body strength and lack of it and inability to sit down and reanchor again due to lack of strength once a guy gets him off balance and starks walking him back...

imo most of it boils down to lack of strength...again some elite speed rushers yeah i think he tried to get into his kick step too quick and overstepped to the outside a lot like jake long...jake was cheating the snap count like mad trying to beat the man to the spot on the outside this year...foot speed and lateral agility and quickness from a set position failed jake long this year in a big way...
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good point on the cost of Levitre ... but I look at him as a perfect fit for our system and a target along with Greg Jennings. Reasonable minds can differ though.

We agree about the strength issues. While not always correctable, they usually are. In other threads I've suggested that Martin probably got leaner doing quickness training for the combine and probably had trouble adding and keeping weight with the long gruelling first NFL season. I fully expect Martin to be a typical OL in that he makes his biggest jump in performance between years 1 and 2 because of the strength and mass issues. One thing Ireland always insists upon is guys developing their core strength, which is definitely an issue with Martin. I think he's in good hands this offseason as our strength team usually produces pretty good results. IMHO, Martin has serious power issues in both upper and lower body, so I expect to see significant improvement.

One other thing worth mentioning is that Martin seemed to struggle more than expected switching from LT to RT as a rookie. Most OL say it takes a full year to get comfortable switching like that, though some are quicker to adapt than others. I suspect whichever side Martin plays, he'll be more comfortable at it than he was in 2012.

Fingers crossed, because power is the only thing I see missing from this kid.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i would agree with the lack of core strength assessment...i would also say that tannehill could have helped his tackles a little more at times by climbing the pocket...he got better at it as the year progressed but he also was flat footed and stationary a bit too much or even worse bailed by going straight back early in the season...always a bad idea...most of that though i attribute to 19 college starts 2 years playing wr just needs reps and speed of the game and comfort in a congested pocket type stuff...it will come in time...

2 years from now expect a much much better qb in all phases folks...
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    also if levitre does leave and he's the big fish on the free agent guard scene you're probably looking at north of $7 mil per to land him...i don't think he's the same level free agent upgrade that carl nicks was looked at last year or a logan mankins had he left new england...so $8 mil per for andy levitre...ehhhhh...lot of coin
    So in your opinion would you sign Levitre for around 8 million, let Jake Long walk at lets say 9 million, resign Gardner and let him John Jerry and a possible 3rd round type OT duke it out on the right side and consider that a big upgrade?
    Quote Quote