Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phinatics Free Agency Give or Take Game

1. -11
    PowerHungryMo'fo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Does Steven Jackson have anything left?
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    It is interesting when you take a look at FA from this perspective. We have a ton of cap space but, there will still have to be trade offs on what we do. The Hartline/Bush trade off to take a Jennings, Bowe, or Wallace is an interesting one, which finds me on the fence.

Anyone care to push one way or the other?
    Well, I would add that we have $46mil of cap space, not $10mil. So I don't agree on the "trade off" of Long's $10mil for one of the WRs or Bush's $5mil for Levitre etc. Re-signing Long $10mil, Bush $5mil, Smith $7mil, Starks $6mil, and Clemons $3mil comes to $31mil by my count. We have $46mil as of the moment. And we can even add to that by restructuring Dansby, Patterson, Marshall etc. So with $31mil out of $46mil, that leaves us with $15mil. And that's being generous as we all know it won't cost us that much to re-sign them. And even if it did, the contracts can get structured in such a way that the first year counts close to 1/3 of the number because of the signing bonus. So we're really going to be looking at about $20 something mil left to sign our Jennings, Cook, and a few others. We must understand this about contracts. $10mil a year is likely $3mil the first year for one guy, you jump him to $10mil the 2nd year as you drop another guy's to $3mil, yada yada yada. So you're looking at it wrong if you are using the trade off view point. It's not like that.
    Last edited by MrEd; 01-31-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    I live in St.Louis and he is very well respected by the coachs, teammates, and public. He always gives it his "all". Yes, in my opionion he does have 2 good years in a split back role.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I really like Jake Long. Despite his injuries I think he is still a solid player to build around. It seems like we're a long shot to resign him, even if we really did want him back badly. To take that money and spend it on Levitre and Vollmer would be the best option. We had OL issues with Long, it won't get any better without him, unless we make the most of that money and bring in quality players like these guys. Plus with Reggie gone, that frees up more money. We may be able to retain AND build. I've said it before, the Jets are a mess and the Pats are getting older, and I do believe there is friction in that locker room to boot. We should really do the most we can with our money, and make a move here. Best chance we have had in some time.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    Well, I would add that we have $46mil of cap space, not $10mil. So I don't see where you're deriving "trade off" of Long's $10mil for one of the WRs or Bush's $5mil for Levitre etc. Re-signing Long $10mil, Bush $5mil, Smith $7mil, Starks $6mil, and Clemons $3mil comes to $31mil by my count. We have $46mil as of the moment. And we can even add to that by restructuring Dansby, Patterson, Marshall etc. So with $31mil out of $46mil, that leaves us with $15mil. And that's being generous as we all know it won't cost us that much to re-sign them. And even if it did, the contracts can get structured in such a way that the first year counts close to 1/3 of the number because of the signing bonus. So we're really going to be looking at about $20 something left to sign our Jennings, Cook, and a few others. We must understand this about contracts. $10mil a year is likely $3mil the first year for one guy, you jump him to $10mil the 2nd year as you drop another guy's to $3mil, yada yada yada. So you're looking at it wrong if you are using the trade off view point. It's not like that.
    I have posted many a time on the cap and, along with CK, on first year cap hits. They normally cost 20-30% off the contract average, and have used Dansby as an example of how contracts fluctuate. 4-5 years ago I was very close to a capologist but, gave up when the NFLPA stopped giving out info. So, I do very well understand it.

Back to the issue. Our draft pick are going to coast roughly $7M, which brigs us to $39M. We also have 7-8 other FA's to sign or replace, like Moore/backup QB, etc. That is likely to cost another $7-8M, which brings us to around $31M to play with before making any substantial moves.

The intent of this thread was to get posters opinions on potential trades, which everyone loves. The fact that it is for cap space does not change trading players, just in a different context. I wanted to see the opinions of those here when it came down to that, and to a degree it does.

I expect a number of other players, not currently listed as FA, to also become available. In addition, we could roll over some cap space to next year if we don't find enough this year worth spending on. Maybe a good thing.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If my sources are right, Dolphins could be about $44.5M under salary cap, that leads to interesting scenarios. Also in my poor opinion, Karlos Dansby will be asked to restructure his current contract and accept some pay cut. Also Dimitri Patterson will be cut to recover $4.5M.
    Those moves could lead to add something close to increase cap space by something close to $6.5M .

Hartline could make a home-town discount if Dolphins commit to extended contract and I'm talking of a $5M/year in a 4-5 years contract. With that in mind and if those numbers are right, I would extend Randy Starks, Chris Clemons & Brian Hartline to create continuity and reward great effort.
    Extending Own Free Agents Hartline, Starks & Clemons: $14M

Since his agent claimed Jake Long's services are in the $10M+ range, I understood he will be starting elsewhere. Also beyond money issues, Jake just doesn't fit the speed, agile style of O-Liner that Philbin is looking for. So with that in mind and thinking that number is the same than the sum of hiring Andy Levitre and Sebastian Vollmer, it's a serious upgrade for a weak O-Line.
    Upgrading offensive line: $10.5M

Anthony Fasano has great hands, but Dolphins are in great position to upgrade the spot. With Jared Cook and Dustin Keller at similar price tags, it's time for a change. Everybody could select a different guy, but having a yearly exhibition of his capacities, I would pick Dustin Keller. Also Todd Heap is available and after the Arizona disaster, could come for cheap.
    Upgrading tight end spot: $6.5M

If each of the top free agent wide receivers have similar price-tag and knowing each of them offers different abilities, I would hire Mike Wallace. But since this is going to be Jeff Ireland's job he will pick a cheaper guy, let's say Josh Cribbs, with a much cap-friendly contract.
    Upgrading wide receiver spot: $4.5M

Running backs are cheaper each year because rule changes have created a pass happy league, where running backs are used in tandems so instead of using old school RB to carry the load, most teams use 2-3 guys. So if Reggiie Bush wants something above the $4M, he will be playing on a team out of Miami. To replace him I would opt to increase the load on Lamar Miller and draft another RB. Adding Peyton Hillis could be as cheap as $2.5M and surely would upgrade our running tandem.
    Fixing backfield: $2.5M

Sean Smith is a great example of how different are every-down player and situational players. Sean Smith is a red zone stopper that has excellent results against physical receivers like Julio Jones, but a CB needs to make several functions and Sean is weak at most. He isn't a zone coverage guy, his skills are among worst while attempting to seal a corner to running game and his tackling technique is questionable for saying the least. Conclusion he is unworthy of a big payment like that. Such salary could be used on a better CB free agent, let's say Marcus Trufant.
    Upgrading secondary defense: $7M

Those movements would allow Jeff to have an easy task at draft, focusing on finding quality young guys for: WR, CB, OLB, & RB. Also could use late rounds to pick a new QB project and a K to push on Carpenter.
    From Mexico, GO PHINS GO!!!
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post
    Hartline could make a home-town discount if Dolphins commit to extended contract and I'm talking of a $5M/year in a 4-5 years contract.
    Apparently one of his friends told the Miami Herald he wants $6M a year, and there are people who are viewing that as his hometown discount.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post
    If my sources are right, Dolphins could be about $44.5M under salary cap, that leads to interesting scenarios. Also in my poor opinion, Karlos Dansby will be asked to restructure his current contract and accept some pay cut. Also Dimitri Patterson will be cut to recover $4.5M.
    Those moves could lead to add something close to increase cap space by something close to $6.5M .

Hartline could make a home-town discount if Dolphins commit to extended contract and I'm talking of a $5M/year in a 4-5 years contract. With that in mind and if those numbers are right, I would extend Randy Starks, Chris Clemons & Brian Hartline to create continuity and reward great effort.
    Extending Own Free Agents Hartline, Starks & Clemons: $14M

Since his agent claimed Jake Long's services are in the $10M+ range, I understood he will be starting elsewhere. Also beyond money issues, Jake just doesn't fit the speed, agile style of O-Liner that Philbin is looking for. So with that in mind and thinking that number is the same than the sum of hiring Andy Levitre and Sebastian Vollmer, it's a serious upgrade for a weak O-Line.
    Upgrading offensive line: $10.5M

Anthony Fasano has great hands, but Dolphins are in great position to upgrade the spot. With Jared Cook and Dustin Keller at similar price tags, it's time for a change. Everybody could select a different guy, but having a yearly exhibition of his capacities, I would pick Dustin Keller. Also Todd Heap is available and after the Arizona disaster, could come for cheap.
    Upgrading tight end spot: $6.5M

If each of the top free agent wide receivers have similar price-tag and knowing each of them offers different abilities, I would hire Mike Wallace. But since this is going to be Jeff Ireland's job he will pick a cheaper guy, let's say Josh Cribbs, with a much cap-friendly contract.
    Upgrading wide receiver spot: $4.5M

Running backs are cheaper each year because rule changes have created a pass happy league, where running backs are used in tandems so instead of using old school RB to carry the load, most teams use 2-3 guys. So if Reggiie Bush wants something above the $4M, he will be playing on a team out of Miami. To replace him I would opt to increase the load on Lamar Miller and draft another RB. Adding Peyton Hillis could be as cheap as $2.5M and surely would upgrade our running tandem.
    Fixing backfield: $2.5M

Sean Smith is a great example of how different are every-down player and situational players. Sean Smith is a red zone stopper that has excellent results against physical receivers like Julio Jones, but a CB needs to make several functions and Sean is weak at most. He isn't a zone coverage guy, his skills are among worst while attempting to seal a corner to running game and his tackling technique is questionable for saying the least. Conclusion he is unworthy of a big payment like that. Such salary could be used on a better CB free agent, let's say Marcus Trufant.
    Upgrading secondary defense: $7M

Those movements would allow Jeff to have an easy task at draft, focusing on finding quality young guys for: WR, CB, OLB, & RB. Also could use late rounds to pick a new QB project and a K to push on Carpenter.
    Muy Bien. The Dolphins cap space could well change but, the draft is still going to cost $7M, and the other FA's, including a backup QB are still going to cost $7-8M. IF we go with Devlin, and no one else, less.

Just curious. My wife is from Cali but lived in Mexico. What part are you from?
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claytonduper View Post
    Why not Stephen Jackson? He pounds the rock, rarely goes down without 2 or 3 tacklers, seldom fumbles, and is a great team player. He would be the perfect back to help spring Miller to the outside. I would like that for 1-2 years when we could draft another young running back.
    He's signed for next season at $8.9 million
    wont be a free agent till 2014
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Levitre will likely get about 7M per year with a nice sized bonus.
    Quote Quote