Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Knocks Hindsight

1. -11
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Simply put, none of it had anything to do with hard knocks and everything to do with critique
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    In looking back for better or worse, did Hard Knocks ave any effect on the Dolphins team this past season? A few things to consider.

John Jerry got his ass kicked by our Marine OL coach and played pretty well, a good thing.

Chad was showcased, and fell by the wayside, a questionable thing.

Egnew was embarrassed by Sherman, and is still looking for an apartment to replace the Dog House.

Philbin had some good, in the mid field turnaround in watching plays, and some bad, in appearing a little wussy in handling cuts and the VD trade.

Overall good, bad, or indifferent? I loved it but, don't know if doing it again is a VG idea.
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Temecula, Ca.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    In looking back for better or worse, did Hard Knocks ave any effect on the Dolphins team this past season? A few things to consider.

John Jerry got his ass kicked by our Marine OL coach and played pretty well, a good thing.

Chad was showcased, and fell by the wayside, a questionable thing.

Egnew was embarrassed by Sherman, and is still looking for an apartment to replace the Dog House.

Philbin had some good, in the mid field turnaround in watching plays, and some bad, in appearing a little wussy in handling cuts and the VD trade.

Overall good, bad, or indifferent? I loved it but, don't know if doing it again is a VG idea.
    Jerry needed the Marine in his ass or he may have not made the team or would have been lost on the bench. I think Coach Philbin tried to handle the situations with class. Some points that he needed to be addressed he didn't take the harsh straight line direct approach to the issue but a more of a round about way. I think it really let us get to know what our new coaching staff was all about. My favorites were Semper Fi OL Coach Jim Turner, TE's Coach Dan Campbell and Coach Philbin. I think there was a lot of respect earned for the coaching staff. I think Coach Philbin did a lot better than Tony Sparano would have done if he was still the Head Coach.

Thanks to Like2God for the great Avatar/Sig!

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We should volunteer every season. Championships will be scarce in our stadium so you might as well prioritize entertainment.

Philbin came across well. I appreciated the peak into the offices. But my favorite moment was Matt Moore's expression when Tannehill didn't know the divisions.

Jeff Ireland coined a new slogan; "Cupla picks."
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    With the extra exposure I was hoping to see Ireland in a different light, I think I ended up hating him even more after HK.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    New Mexico Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Mexico
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hard Knocks really showed us alot if you think about it. I liked how the staff quietly got to rebuilding the team without ever using the words because we all know thats what this team needed to have any chance at long term success. loved watching the quarterbacks and the different coaches.

I feel like hard knocks gave me insight on all the of QB's and the coaching staff. It gave me hope that this new staff would succeed long term after watching John Jerry go from getting away with being constantly out of shape with Sparano to becoming someone we could use this year. It cemented in my mind that philbin's way means find any and all avenues of doing things in a way that will make the team better for the long haul.

Vontaes obvious laziness and immaturity came out to all who watched. Imagine there was no hard knocks and the coaching staff did what they did with Vontae. We might of thought they were making a ridiculous mistake. And regardless of whether coaches admit it, if your entire fan base hates the decisions the team makes the negative press would be even more distracting in the long run the the cameras. I think it was a great way to let the fans get some insight on how things have changed and how Philbin and crew have put player's in a position get better and to be accountable for their conditioning and conduct.

Imagine how much of a bumbling fool Sparano would have looked to hard knocks. Using the phrase "that way" after every sentence.

So glad we have Philbin. And many of you might disagree but I liked certain things about Ireland. He is a football guy and somewhat devoid of social graces but he definitely has a fire under him to do whatever it takes to make us better. Just my opinion though.
    Last edited by catch22; 02-01-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Overall, it was a bad idea. We entered the season having had a very poor preseason run of games and with most pundits predicting we'd win 4 or 5 games at most. Philbin was ridiculed for him making sure people's laces were tied more than praised for his innovative practice methods (which everyone will now copy). None of the featured players who were aiming for a starting spot (Brown, Hogan, Chad Johnson, Steinbeck, Garrard, Alexcih, Aatui etc etc) made the team, so there was no evidence of acorns uncovered to go into the season. Ireland, despite having had a great draft, didn't come off great. Tannehill, Devlin and Smith were probably the three exceptions, as players who shone in the camera's glare.

The Chad affair was wonderful entertainment, but his cutting and the summit with the "team leaders" of Long, Bush and Dansby was uncomfortable viewing. Egnew was given the worst possible start - deserved or not. Combined with calling him a p***y in the papers, his career - if it ever takes off - will be forever tainted unless he becomes a total superstar.

Sherman came off well. Taylor, the QB coach, to a degree. Turner was a personality, but the season's results don't suggest he was some kind of miracle worker. Ditto Campbell.

I'm actually very optimistic about this young team with a solid foundation and the progression it can make. But it will be no thanks to a show that had people focussing on all the wrong aspects of this proud team.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    Well it was great tv, but so was the jets............
    If you're into Kinky Inky and foot fetish and those kinds of things.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Not Even Lazor Can Save Us

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hard Knocks was great for the Dolphins. How many people would've gone to those first couple of games if it wasn't for HBO and the buzz it created? They should do it again with all those picks they have coming in April.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No one came out and said it but it kind of sounded like they told Philbin he had to do it sometime in the next 3 years and the coach said let's do it now.

As a dolphan I liked the chance to see the new coaches and to see the players behind the scenes. I didn't like the amount of focus put on ocho.

I would much rather have seen other players in that time. As for Ireland, he is just not a very likeable guy. I didn't like the way he handled Vontae, he drafted the kid afterall. It's not like he didn't know what his IQ was. I thought Philbin came off well, much better than he does in the post game videos.
    Quote Quote