Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MiamiDolfan85's First Miami Off-Season Mock[02/01/12]

1. -1
    DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

MiamiDolfan85's First Miami Off-Season Mock[02/01/12]

Free Agency-

Greg Jennings(4 yr. deal)

Re-Signings-

Sean Smith(4 yr. deal)
    Brian Hartline(4 yr. deal)
    Randy Starks(3 yr. deal)
    Tony McDaniel(1 yr. deal)
    Anthony Fasano(1 yr. deal)
    Reshad Jones(new deal)

Walking-

Jake Long
    Chris Clemons

Draft-

1.)Xavier Rhodes, CB out of Florida St(6'1",217)

[Rhodes from a talent standpoint is probably one of the more intriguing prospects the draft has to offer. His blend of size(6'1"), speed(projected 4.45), and natural athleticism is very rare. He's without a doubt one of the more physical defensive backs the draft has to offer. Rhodes excels at two things. Run support & jamming wide outs at the line. When he gets his hands on receivers at the jump, he does a good job conflicting the timing of the route. Did a good job on just about everyone he covered during his 3 years playing for the 'Noles. Will need to work on his tackling, not that its bad. Its just he's so aggressive, he goes for the "big hit" one too many times, and either misses or takes a bad angle. But once he gets his hands on you, its a done deal. Covering slot WR's is probably his biggest weakness, but with McCann, Wilson, & Patterson on roster it may not come to that. Overall, Rhodes selection is one of mid risk-very high reward. At worst Rhodes will be a solid starter. With his elite measurables, and the top talent at corner being thin Rhodes just might be on the 'Phins radar. With the right talent and coaching around Rhodes, its truly scary what he might become 3 years down the line.

Player Comparison: Antoine Winfield]

2.)Barrett Jones, G/T out of Alabama(6'5",305)

[Here it is. Ireland's first "value" pick of the 2013 draft. Speaking of talent alone, Jones is a top 25 pick. Jones can play just about every position on the line. With torn ligaments in his foot, recent mocks have him slipping to the mid-second round area. Trust me. If Jones is there at 42, knowing our GM's background this is a sure thing. But here's the thing.....Its a great pick! The value would be tremendous, and the need is obvious. We do, of course, have bigger fish to fry with a WR, a DE, some depth at DT, and such but to get a player like Jones here and to finally have some good youth and talent in the interior of the line will do wonders for Miller in the run game. Also, Tannehill will finally have more time to make decisions in the pocket. He got smacked quite a few times before he could even get a chance to read coverage.

Player Comparison: Jordan Gross]

2b.)Phillip Thomas, FS out of Fresno St(6'1",215)

[Phillip Thomas exploded this year. 8 picks and 4 sacks. His name is starting to go around NFL mocks more and more. We missed out on Earl Thomas a few years back. If we miss out of this one Im going to lose it. Chris Clemons is nice and all, but he doesnt make plays and he is a god-awful tackler. Miami as ranked 27th in pass defensed last season. That means work needs to be done in the secondary. Having a hard hitter in Jones on one side, and a sure ball-hawk on the other will take this secondary over the top. Thomas has nice range, and gets good depth in his coverage. Already a better tackler than Clemons, as he can lay the wood but he wraps up. He's reliable as a tackler, and in coverage.

Player Comparison: Jarius Byrd]

3.)Cobi Hamilton, WR out of Arkansas(6'2",199)

[Hamilton was arguably Tyler Wilson's favorite target. He has good size, decent speed and slightly above average hands. Although Hamilton has a lot of good qualities, he tends to lose concentration fairly easy upon good coverage. However, he does run very nice routes for a wide out his size. He also does a good job getting separation. If he can pull it all together, he'll make for a good no. 2 option a few years down the line.

Player Comparison: Stevie Johnson]

3b.)DeVonte Holloman, OLB out of South Carolina(6'2",244)

[Holloman looks to be a solid outside linebacker in a 43 defense. He plays downhill consistently. No hesitation. Good instincts. Converted safety, so he's experienced in playing coverage. With a good showing in OTA's and mini-camp, I can see him starting along side Dansby and Burnett.

Player Comparison: n/a]

4.)Chris Harper, WR out of Kansas St(6'1",228)

[Harper has always been on my man-crush list. He reminds me so much of James Jones, of Green Bay. Harper is a crisp route runner, yet he is smart and strong. Finds the open space in coverage. Doesn't mind doing the dirty work(picking, blocking, going across the middle). I think he would excel in a WCO. Could prove to be a decent red-zone option.

Player Comparison: James Jones]

5.)Joe Kruger, DE out of Utah(6'6",280)

[Older brother players for the Ravens. Should do well as a situational pass rusher, til he develops more technique. The best thing he has going for him is his motor.

Player Comparison: Kroy Biermann]

6.)Bruce Taylor, ILB out of Virginia Tech(6'1",239)

[A young ILB to groom under Dansby. Good depth.

Player Comparison: Bruce Carter]

7.)D. J Harper, RB out of Boise St(5'9",182)

[Should Bush walk in FA, Miller would slot as the starter. Harper could simply make the team by showing his versatility in both the running game and the passing game. Possesses dynamic speed, and has soft hands. Can make plays out of the backfield or split out wide. A lot of things you can do with a player like this in the offense. Can also help on ST.

Player Comparison: Darren Sproles]

Depth Chart-

QB-Tannehill,Delvin
    RB-Miller,Thomas,Gray,Thigpen
    FB-Lane
    WR-Jennings,Bess,Harper
    WR-Hartline,Hamilton,Matthews
    TE-Fasano,Clay,Egnew
    LT-Martin,Yeatman
    LG-Cog
    C-Pouncey
    RG-Jones,Garner
    RT-Jerry,Brown

DE-Odrick,Shelby,Kruger
    DT-Starks,Randle
    NT-Soliai,McDaniel
    DE-Wake,Vernon
    SOLB-Holloman,Trusnik,Kaddu
    MLB-Dansby,Taylor
    WOLB-Burnett,Misi
    CB-Rhodes,Carroll,Stanford
    CB-Smith,Marshall,Patterson,McCann
    FS-Thomas,Wilson
    SS-Jones

LS-Denney

K-?
    P-Fields

That defense is starting to look really good. And I thought long and hard about mocking Cordarelle Patterson/Keenan Allen with the first pick but I gotta see it to believe it. Ireland has yet to draft a skill position on the offensive side of the ball in the 1st round during his tenure. Besides, with Philbin's background in Green Bay, they never took a WR in the first round either. I just tried to tailor it as realistic as possible based on past personnel decisions.

Tell me what you think.

Inspired by no other than Ben Violin
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Koa Misi isn't a free agent...
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finsfanjay13 View Post
    Koa Misi isn't a free agent...
    appreciate that, I thought he was set to be this off-season
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Dirty Dirty
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Decent Miami draft

Dream Phins Draft (As of 5/6):
    1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 2. Ju'Waun James 4. De'Anthony Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Brandon Linder 7. Nevin Lawson
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not bad, I wouldn't be upset about it I'd call this a win on draft day. However there are some players who if there I'd take over say Rhodes such as Banks, Milliner, or Te'o. But overall solid mock, it's very plausible and it fills our needs along with blending some talent on our team.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think we'll definitely be seeing a new face at TE this year, would be cool if we can pick up another second and get Eifert or Ertz. Maybe trade down in the first and throw in Bess and/or Incognito and/or Daniel Thomas and/or Koa Misi and/or Odrick.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Shreveport,La
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Kruger or Harper aren't lasting that long..wishful thinking,but it will be a pipe dream if that occurred
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We should have enough money to go after a TE and another CB in FA
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't like most scenarios that bring back Hartline, because it means that we've settled on him as our #2 (and it'll be a long-term commitment), and the draft the follows reflects that.

I like a lot of the players. I just don't think it does enough to set up Tannehill for success. We need to get him some guys who can separate and score TD's or some guys who can out-physical DB's and score TD's that way. We need win-guys. Hartline is a solid player, but he's not a win-guy, and Hartline won't settle for #3 money, and I don't think he's best suited as a slot guy. I think he's destined to be a low-end #2.

Load up on offensive weapons. Don't ignore D or bypass dynamic players, but you have to get Tannehill the weaponS (emphasis on the plural) he needs this season. We need to see him in an environment where the staff can judge his merits, but more importantly, he needs to have opportunities for success on bigger throws - deep passes, targets in the Red Zone. If he doesn't get that soon, hey may end up a weirdo like Chad Henne.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like the thinking and I do think Harper is a philbin type guy. Dont really know how well a Tackle Jones is and that is the hole that needs plugging IMO.

I am thinking we would be looking for a bigger RB.
    Quote Quote