Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Watch this Space: Victor Cruz

1. -41
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdandinches View Post
    So he holds out, where's he going? He's just not going to be playing football and not getting paid...how does that mean NYG don't hold the cards?

It's no different then the players franchised but threaten to hold out. The NYG could very well trade him and be done with it, but does that make any sense what so ever? You don't spend incredible amounts of time and money to find this kind of talent to just let it go after it develops.
    The question is NY Giants must place a RFA tender for him, with two numbers: a price tag and a draft picks price. Currently everything points Giants are placing a $2.88 million first-round tender on him. That means that Cruz could opt to play a year for such salary or wait until some team upbeats the tender. So Dolphins should use something close to $3.5 millions plus giving up a first round pick to Giants for his services on 2013.

Normally a first-round pick price looks too expensive, so no other team upbeats the tender and RFAs are locked with the option of accepting questionable money or being incapable of playing football.

A talented guy like Cruz deserves big money but Giants cap situation is among worst of the league, so they don't have the money to use a franchise tag nor placing a decent tender on him. The thing is players within bad teams normally don't achieve important incentive clauses of their contracts, but in a successful franchise several players complete their goals, so big money arrives, counting against the salary cap of such team.

With Eli & crew winning a pair of SB in the last years, almost every cent of each contract is causing problems to John Mara.
    From Mexico, GO PHINS GO!!!
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So he holds out, where's he going? He's just not going to be playing football and not getting paid...how does that mean NYG don't hold the cards?

It's no different then the players franchised but threaten to hold out. The NYG could very well trade him and be done with it, but does that make any sense what so ever? You don't spend incredible amounts of time and money to find this kind of talent to just let it go after it develops.
    There is only one way to respond to this nonsense..............Vincent Jackson, check out how he fared after his long holdout.

Oh, and by the way, Cruz was an undrafted free agent. They have only spent less than peanuts on him
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Giants want to lock up Hakeem Nicks first but I'll be very surprised if they allow Cruz to go.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No thanks
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott 1 View Post
    There is only one way to respond to this nonsense..............Vincent Jackson, check out how he fared after his long holdout.

Oh, and by the way, Cruz was an undrafted free agent. They have only spent less than peanuts on him
    The SD chargers let him go, they held the cards, they made the choice not VJ. V.Cruz is 3 years younger, more dynamic and a better all around player then VJ in my opinion.

I know Cruz was a UDFA, the NYG spend incredible time and money on scouting and when they finally hit on a stud player you don't just let them go at his age and talent level. A bad cap situation means older vets making to much money and not getting the results to warrant that paycheck will be cut and replaced by younger players.

Bye-bye C Canty - 6mil, A.Bradshaw - 4mil, M.Boley - 4mil Hello Eli, Snee and Rolle to re-structure land

and all of a sudden no more cap hell! It can be done and if I'm the NYG I do not let this young dynamic go, period!
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post
    The question is NY Giants must place a RFA tender for him, with two numbers: a price tag and a draft picks price. Currently everything points Giants are placing a $2.88 million first-round tender on him. That means that Cruz could opt to play a year for such salary or wait until some team upbeats the tender. So Dolphins should use something close to $3.5 millions plus giving up a first round pick to Giants for his services on 2013.

Normally a first-round pick price looks too expensive, so no other team upbeats the tender and RFAs are locked with the option of accepting questionable money or being incapable of playing football.

A talented guy like Cruz deserves big money but Giants cap situation is among worst of the league, so they don't have the money to use a franchise tag nor placing a decent tender on him. The thing is players within bad teams normally don't achieve important incentive clauses of their contracts, but in a successful franchise several players complete their goals, so big money arrives, counting against the salary cap of such team.

With Eli & crew winning a pair of SB in the last years, almost every cent of each contract is causing problems to John Mara.
    The NYG have already been working on a new deal with Cruz and I guarantee it has been at a larger number than 3.5 mil. Just because we offer a hair more than the restricted number does not mean he would sign it. I just think it's silly to think the NYG would dump a player of this calibre because of money, there's a way to make things work and cutting overpaid vets is a smarter way. Re-structuring is a smarter way.

I also do not believe in trading our 1st round pick for a wr that wants top dollar when we can potentially sign a top flight receiver in FA and still have our first round pick to help improve the team in other areas which is badly needed.

Personally I believe a deal will get done shortly after players start getting dumped.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The NYG have already been working on a new deal with Cruz and I guarantee it has been at a larger number than 3.5 mil. Just because we offer a hair more than the restricted number does not mean he would sign it. I just think it's silly to think the NYG would dump a player of this calibre because of money, there's a way to make things work and cutting overpaid vets is a smarter way. Re-structuring is a smarter way.

I also do not believe in trading our 1st round pick for a wr that wants top dollar when we can potentially sign a top flight receiver in FA and still have our first round pick to help improve the team in other areas which is badly needed.

Personally I believe a deal will get done shortly after players start getting dumped.
    1) According to reports NY Giants are offering Cruz something close to $3M/year with a pathetic signing bonus.
    2) Victor's agent is looking for big payment, close to $10M, so it looks pretty much like Jake Long's situation with Dolphins, the player would love to stay but the team is short on budget for his spot.
    3) NY Giants have an excellent scouting crew and they are happy with the talent at WR in this draft. Also unlike several holes at defense, they aren't shy at the spot.
    4) So they would love to bring Cruz back, but as a collateral damage of a weird salary cap situation, Victor Cruz could be playing elsewhere.
    5) I'm realistic and knowing Jeff Ireland, he won't throw a first round pick for any "expensive" veteran.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post
    1) According to reports NY Giants are offering Cruz something close to $3M/year with a pathetic signing bonus.
    2) Victor's agent is looking for big payment, close to $10M, so it looks pretty much like Jake Long's situation with Dolphins, the player would love to stay but the team is short on budget for his spot.
    3) NY Giants have an excellent scouting crew and they are happy with the talent at WR in this draft. Also unlike several holes at defense, they aren't shy at the spot.
    4) So they would love to bring Cruz back, but as a collateral damage of a weird salary cap situation, Victor Cruz could be playing elsewhere.
    5) I'm realistic and knowing Jeff Ireland, he won't throw a first round pick for any "expensive" veteran.
    Not that I'm arguing with you but my entire posts that have been argued against have been about the NYG holding the cards in this situation. They will tender him, he can decide to play or get nothing.
    I would be in utter shock if it went any other direction then that or a long term deal.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not that I'm arguing with you but my entire posts that have been argued against have been about the NYG holding the cards in this situation. They will tender him, he can decide to play or get nothing.
    I would be in utter shock if it went any other direction then that or a long term deal.
    Giants have poor cap space to negotiate with Cruz' agent. They don't own the space to tag him nor to use an exclusive rights tender on him, thus the money Giants will put on him is not an obstacle, in fact they can't require more than a first round pick for him as they must place a consistent offer. Lets say they pretended to ask for 1st and 2nd round picks, that would lead to tender him for something close to $11M where the team will have a mission impossible on dealing with the salary cap.

So the most feasible thing is Cruz will have a low tender that WR-starving teams will be capable of beating but the 1st round pick price tag will persuade.

With a bunch or talented WR coming from college, there's a chance of a lowered price of 2nd round plus some defensive player. If Cruz is patient, that's an scenario where Ireland could send a defensive player to Giants in exchange of the salsa-dancing receiver.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnr226 View Post
    Victor Cruz is Puerto Rican, a virtual God in NY, and relatively cheap. Not happening.
    Exactly, there is no place in the U.S where he would even come close to having fans that loyal to him, he is also going to cost Miami more then he is worth, as great a talent as he is....no thank you.
    Quote Quote