Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let Them All Walk And Take The Comp Picks

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott 1 View Post
    There are only so many roster spots. I would have Goodwin return kicks and Bess punts. Mario Manningham returns punts as well.

Might as well get a late pick for Thigpen he played well last year.

I would rather have an extra DB on the 53.

So we give up a guy who returned two td's? this makes no sense. Davone Bess is not a threat to return anything back there. Also just because Goodwin has track speed that does not make him good.

I do agree with letting a lot of guys walk (except Starks and Fasano). Fasano is undervalued here.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    The Cheese Connoisseur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I understand the reasoning behind your plan. But this is not Madden. You can't just plug half a team together and expect them to gel. I mean just moving guys around on O-line would take some time to gel.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wow. What a severe waste of time it must have been to write this. It Started Very good but I stopped reading after trade Thigpen and not keep Martin at LT, Where he outshined Long
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Home of the ONE and ONLY PERFECT TEAM!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PERFECTVILLE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know Ireland is lackluster to alot of you, but I was dizzy by the third paragraph! So basically do what the Marlins do and have a fire sale!!!!!???????
    The Jarvis Landry ERA has begun!
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    The Cheese Connoisseur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    In addition the highest comp pick awarded is a third rounded. I would think at least half out FA are worth more than a third rounder.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ocean County, NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    WTF? WE wouldn't get any comp picks for our free agents this year until next year
    EARTHCWAKEEEEEEEEEEE! #91
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    East Petersburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So if you could only get a maximum of FOUR compensatory picks, why would you let them ALL walk? You're just creating more holes, and comp picks are usually 5-7 round.
    Re-sign Hartline, Starks, Clemons, sign a FA or two, Jennings and Levitre, just for example, you still have a net difference of four(counting the free agents you mentioned)
    There comes a time when a team needs to be built right, and the Dolphins can't afford to sign less than stellar talent just so they might get a compensatory sixth for a mediocre player signed away.
    Sign the best(within proper financial constraints), draft the best. Do that every year and end up looking like the 49ers. Follow a whacked plan to continually gain 6th round picks and end up looking like the Bills.
    The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more.
    -A fortune cookie
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Temecula, Ca.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All AJ Smith in San Diego was concerned was with the comp picks and letting all his talent leave basically did him in as GM of the Chargers.

Thanks to Like2God for the great Avatar/Sig!

Quote Quote  

9. -19
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks for all the work you put in; I probably would agree with some of that, (although as someone pointed out, not so fast on compensatory picks as who we've signed is also factored in), but as soon as I read trading our first kick return threat in years who triples as a seam receiving and running threat who cost us nothing, frankly I stopped reading.

"Yep. Blow it up. This might the worst team I've ever seen constructed in my life.
    And then you throw in the terrible preparation and in-game coaching. There is no defense.
    But do it right. Fire everyone in the building. No survivors. , JiF Jetnation

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott 1 View Post
    The Dolphins have a legitimate opportunity to make their team better and at the same time secure for themselves the max 4 compensation picks in the 2014 draft; and not just comp picks, high comp picks.

There are a lot of teams with serious cap issues this offseason, far more than most years; aided by the NFL penalizing the Saints,Redskins, and Cowboys, but the Steelers, Giants,Raiders, and many other teams as well are also in big trouble when it comes to re-signing their free agents and avoiding having to cut players to get their team cap down.

The Dolphins have a unique opportunity with several marquee FA's and over 40 mil in cap to exploit the situation to their advantage.

I will offer a scenario of what could be done.

As the title indicated they all walk. Jake Long,Reggie Bush,Brian Hartline,Sean Smith,Anthony Fasano,Randy Starks,Chris Clemons,Tony McDaniel and Nate Garner.

Bring back guys who won't count like Jonathan Amaya and Brian McCann(who was a real bright spot by the way).

Trade John Jerry and Marcus Thigpen for a 5th and a 6th.

Move Jonathan Martin to RG. Why have the guy who led the league in QB hurries playing a position he can't physically handle when he could actually become a stud gaurd.

Move Nolan Carroll to safety. He has the size.

Lock up Reshad Jones and Paul Soliai. Hope that Richard Marshall returns 100% and plays kickass nickel all year long.

Sign free agents that get released/cut/cap casualities. They don't count against receiving comp, only the UFA's count.

Players like Mike Vick, Matt Cassell,Carson Palmer,Santana Moss,Mario Manningham,Chri Gamble,Chris Canty,James Harrison,Josh Wilson,DeAngelo Hall,Chris Johnson,Quentin Jammer,Anqhan Boldin,David Diehl,Kenny Phillips, and the list just goes on and on this year of guys who stand a very good chance of being released not because of bad play but because their teams are in cap hell.

Let's say the Dolphins sign Santana Moss and Mario Manningham to similar deals as they had last year. That's about 6 mil with a discount for Moss' age and Manningham's injury history. Let's say a 3year 15 mil incentive laden deal for Chris Gamble (one of the best cover corners in the NFL when healthy). Give James Harrison a fat 1 yr deal to play certain
    downs especially if they do more hybrid stuff next year. This is a luxury thing but the Dolphins have to get to the cap minimum.

Dolphins could still sign a could still sign a couple mid tier and maybe one top tier FA and still get max comp so let's say The Dolphins sign CB Keenan Lewis, who I predict will be the next true shut down corner to arise in the NFL. Right now this would be a mid tier and may stand because their are a lot of FA CB's on the market this offseason.

Another must acquisition would be Desmand Bryant DT. Pro Football focus's top rated interior DL this offseason and like Lewis, is likely to hit the open market because of the Raider's cap situation.

I advocate a trade offer to the Giants for Victor Cruz. Because of the threat of a hold out(in the event of a RFA tender) and the fact that the Giants cap situation may be one of the worst in NFL history, I think there may be an outside chance of getting a deal done for players and our 2nd from Indy. Dolphins have some young inexpensive players that could really help the Giants keep their roster somewhat in tact.

The reason to trade for Cruz rather than sign Jennings are obvious. Cruz is younger and a 5 or 6 year deal makes sense; however the biggest reason IMO is that I totally believe that if Cruz is tendered, the Patriots will jump all over giving him offer. Their late 1st rounder carries way less value than other parties like the Browns or Dolphins who may be inteerested. Cruz would be absolutely a perfect target for Tom Brady and make winning the east a lot harder next year.

I think if Cruz is traded the trancaction would count against compensation but I'm not sure. This would see the Dolphins losing 8 free agents and adding 3. Maybe we could say that Hartline and Keenan Lewis get similar contracts(because that is the biggest factor in determining comp value) Desmond Bryant and Sean Smith cancel out, and Jake Long and Victor Cruz cancel out.

That would still leave the Dolphins getting comp for Randy Starks,Reggie Bush,Anthony Fasano(don't underestimate this one, Fasano had 0 drops last year and played over 900 snaps) and Chris Clemons and maybe some consideration for Tony McDaniel (who played a surprising numbeer of snaps last year, won the ED Block courage award, and could garner a pretty good contract from a 3-4 team, he is a natural 5-technique IMO)
    This would obviously get us 4 comp picks and a sure 3rd for Starks, depending on how things go for the other guys next year we could even get another 3rd and two 4ths if one of these guys starts all year and goes to the post season.

Draft: Trade down with Seattle(or whoever) and add a 2nd.

1st..................................................Lane Johnson...............OT
    2nd...................................................Tyler Eifert/Zach Ertz.......TE
    2nd.......................................................Phillip Thomas..................S..........One of, if not thee biggest playmaker in this draft. 8 int's 4 ff's
    3rd........................................................Travis Long........................LB/LS.......Brilliant kid, 4 year starter, pass rusher,special teams, may need to start if Misi is part of the Cruz trade
    3rd...............Trade down and add a 4th........Marquies Goodwin...........WR/KR/RB..No more olympics, no more track and field. Look for Goodwin to add about 8-12 pounds
    4th............................................................Dion Sims.......................TE.....Best TE in this year's draft IMO
    4th............................................................Reid Fragel......................OT
    5th............................................................Dwayne Gratz.................CB
    5th.........................................................Brandon Kaufman...............WR.....The next Brandon Marshall...............don't laugh, wait 3 years
    6th.......................................................Cooper Taylor....................LB.......Big safety I'd move to LB and teach him how to shutdown Gronk and Hernandez, academic all american
    7th......................................................Caleb Schreibeiss................DE/OLB.........Buck Buchanon award winner, pass rusher, academic all american
    7th.....................................................Mike Catapano.....................DE............Pass rusher, kicked ass at the Shrine game
    FA...................................................Colby Cameron......................QB
    FA...................................................Marquiess Gray.....................WR/TE/H-back/QB
    FA....................................................Melvin White.......................DB

Roster:
    QB.........Tannehill,Devlin,Cameron(PS)
    RB.........Miller,Thomas,Gray,Thigpen,Goodwin
    FB.........Lane,Clay
    TE.........Sims,Eifert,Egnew
    WR........Cruz,Moss,Bess,Manningham,Goodwin,Matthews
    OT.........Lane,Fragel,Adams,Yeatmen
    C/OG......Pouncey,Incognito,Martin,Samuda,Burden

DT........Soliai,Bryant,,Randall,Alexcinth
    DE........Wake,Odrick,Harrison,Schreibeiss,Catapano,Vernon
    LB........Dansby,Burnett,Misi,Long,Taylor,Trusnik
    S.........Jones,Thomas,Marshall,Amaya,Carroll
    CB.......Gamble,Lewis,Marshall,McCann,Gratz,White

K...Kaeding
    P....Fields
    LS...Denney

Dolphins in this scenario would be around the cap minimum meaning they could carry over the max allowed amount to add to next year's cap, leaving the Dolphins with a very nice situation again in next year's offseason, as well as having at least 11 picks in the 2014 draft.
    I don't agree with any of this past your opening with "The Dolphins have a legitimate opportunity to make their team better." In all due respect for your time and effort, seems like something I might think of at 6 AM, after closing down the bars on South Beach at 5. However, I would not have been able to type, at least not anything readable.
    Quote Quote