Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: Signing both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings/The Pat Riley effect

  1. -21
    iwastherein72's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2012
    Posts:
    383
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jd13 View Post
    I think adding Wallace and Jennings would be awesome especially since Hartline wants 6m/yr. That means your only paying a few more million for Jennings. It could be done.
    Sign Wallace straight up and essentially trade Jennings for Hartline (let Hartline move on). Only about $2 or 3 million more and you have 2 elite guys at BOTH positions.

    Signing just Jennings is ridiculous, he's a 2 or 3 when we need a 1. Adding more slot/midrange guys makes as much sense as getting a letgo noonoo. But of course we did that so hold the phone guys. I'm sure ireland has the PERFECT solution such as going after ryan swope with our 2nd round pick. That would fix it ALL....
    Ryan Tannehill. Ah, what a relief. Life is good.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -22
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2007
    Posts:
    16
    vCash:
    1155
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would rather see us pick up Jennings and Bowe . Jennings would be move chains and bowe would go up and get ball out of the air.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -23
    DolfanDuBbZ~'s Avatar
    Avoid the 'Noid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2008
    Posts:
    5,591
    vCash:
    4447
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Too many holes on this team, to concentrate 20mil on the outside. The OP, does alot of 'assume' ing in his post. Well in REAL life, the top dollar gets you the best players in the NFL, or the best FAs. Your analogy to basketball holds no water. NFL football players aren't guareented much of anything. Hence, when you are a FA, you go for your pay day.

    Add the risk of injury, and NYY type money to a 32yr old gets you in hot water. And there is this thing called the CAP. You are trying to build a house of cards. No depth.

    This team needs to concentrate on TE, WR, CB and the oline. But I guess we can assume this upcoming drafts 5th 6th and 7th round picks will all be starters. And will play at a high level.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -24
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    169
    vCash:
    2066
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why not? with 47 million under the cap...its not very often you have a chance to sign 2 playmakers......sign Wallace for 10mil and Jennings for 9mil per yr. and move on.......
    Quote Quote  

  5. -25
    dcnr226's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    1,106
    vCash:
    1594
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DolfanDuBbZ~ View Post
    Too many holes on this team, to concentrate 20mil on the outside. The OP, does alot of 'assume' ing in his post. Well in REAL life, the top dollar gets you the best players in the NFL, or the best FAs. Your analogy to basketball holds no water. NFL football players aren't guareented much of anything. Hence, when you are a FA, you go for your pay day.

    Add the risk of injury, and NYY type money to a 32yr old gets you in hot water. And there is this thing called the CAP. You are trying to build a house of cards. No depth.

    This team needs to concentrate on TE, WR, CB and the oline. But I guess we can assume this upcoming drafts 5th 6th and 7th round picks will all be starters. And will play at a high level.
    1-You try and acquire Wallace & Jennings, and the "holes" at WR are gone. Jennings will make only a couple of million more than Hartline
    2-"Assuming" is one word. Feel free to use it accordingly.
    3-Paul Soliai turned down bigger money form the Broncos to stay in Miami
    4-How does "creating cap space", as Riley did and now Ireland has done, hold no water?
    5-Greg Jennings is 29, and I didn't know 8 million per year is "New York Yankees" money. Mike Wallace is 26, and his 10 million would net the Yankees a decent-to-good starting pitcher.
    6-CAP! Thank you! I completely forgot about the cap. You, seemingly, forgot that we have 40+ mil to spend..and although the CAP is the CAP, we have a plethora of draft picks to either draft talent or acquire talent from other teams.
    7-So drafting a WR is a safer bet than signing a proven one? Hmm.
    8-We have 5 picks in the first 100. So following your logic, we could use those picks to draft the positions your so worried about...and also draft backups and/or projects with our 5th, 6th, 7th rounders.

    Quote Quote  

  6. -26
    DolfanDuBbZ~'s Avatar
    Avoid the 'Noid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2008
    Posts:
    5,591
    vCash:
    4447
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnr226 View Post
    1-You try and acquire Wallace & Jennings, and the "holes" at WR are gone. Jennings will make only a couple of million more than Hartline
    2-"Assuming" is one word. Feel free to use it accordingly.
    3-Paul Soliai turned down bigger money form the Broncos to stay in Miami
    4-How does "creating cap space", as Riley did and now Ireland has done, hold no water?
    5-Greg Jennings is 29, and I didn't know 8 million per year is "New York Yankees" money. Mike Wallace is 26, and his 10 million would net the Yankees a decent-to-good starting pitcher.
    6-CAP! Thank you! I completely forgot about the cap. You, seemingly, forgot that we have 40+ mil to spend..and although the CAP is the CAP, we have a plethora of draft picks to either draft talent or acquire talent from other teams.
    7-So drafting a WR is a safer bet than signing a proven one? Hmm.
    8-We have 5 picks in the first 100. So following your logic, we could use those picks to draft the positions your so worried about...and also draft backups and/or projects with our 5th, 6th, 7th rounders.



    First off, I used the phrase "assume" ing on purpose. I know the difference I understand basic english literature and wording. Feel free to keep the grammar police to a minimum please.


    Also, I did put into context, that spending 20mil on the outside while many positions need to be filled is crazy. This team needs players at TE, CB and OLINE along w/ some quality depth. You cannot and will not do that with 20mil locked up on the outside. Soliai, was also tagged, making him one of the if not the highest paid NT. That helped ease his concerns in the long run financially. Jennings, and the other FAs will seek top dollar. Don't kid yourself. The assuming you did on their contracts is ... well I will leave that there.

    And with that CAP you need to build a team. A whole team. Depth at all positions. This 40mil you and others harp on, is fine and dandy. But you have to spend it wisely. Smiley ring any bells?

    So in short, while your hypothetical nonsense, is fine in Madden land. It has shown very little success in the modern day NFL.

    For the extra 10mil used on the outside, you can bring in a FA TE and OLINEman. While adding depth through the draft. Its about spending your money wisely. PITT and GB are both doing it now, by letting such players walk. TB on the other hand, was 'forced' to spend. Brought in a whole lot of FA's and the results were very comparable to what MIA did this year. Draft and develop. Fill multiple positions smartly with the money you have. Multiple as in, not just one position. Your hypothetical starting oline, is absolute trash. The goal is to put Tannehill in the best position to succeed. Having him with a oline comparable to the Bears line won't do that.

    When GB had Jennings, Driver and Nelson, did it stop them from DRAFTING more talent a WR? Depth. ITs what allows you to have continued success in the NFL.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -27
    DolfanDuBbZ~'s Avatar
    Avoid the 'Noid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2008
    Posts:
    5,591
    vCash:
    4447
    Thanks / No Thanks
    But I will stop now. THis topic is absurd on so many levels. Family, friends and food await. Everyone have a good day. And enjoy the SB.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -28
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    1,120
    vCash:
    1118
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DolfanDuBbZ~ View Post
    But I will stop now. THis topic is absurd on so many levels. Family, friends and food await. Everyone have a good day. And enjoy the SB.
    It is really not that absurd as far as I am concerned because if you are going to resign Hartline and bring in Wallace/Greg Jennings, might as well spend a couple more millions to sign both of them.

    WR:Wallace/Jennings/Bess/Rishard Matthews
    FB: Charles Clay (this gives you more option on the fied).
    TE: Fasano(blocking) and a draftee.

    This would allow us to load up on defense through the draft(a DE, two CBs)
    Quote Quote  

  9. -29
    dcnr226's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    1,106
    vCash:
    1594
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DolfanDuBbZ~ View Post
    But I will stop now. THis topic is absurd on so many levels. Family, friends and food await. Everyone have a good day. And enjoy the SB.
    lol C'mon bro. I really hope you weren't complaining about the lack of playmakers during the season. Now that we have a shot to be special we should take it...build through the draft for big men and defensive backs...get proven talent at skill positions, as drafting skill positions is obviously not Ireland's strength. Wallace and Jennings is possible, doable, and awesome. How anyone could not fall in love with the idea is beyond me.

    We are all Fin fans and a brotherhood..i didn't mean to sound condescending. But let's f'ing go big for once, we got a qb and a General in Philbin...lets take our shot with some young, proven studs.

    btw what a friggin game!
    Quote Quote  

  10. -30
    Hayden Fox's Avatar
    At the end of the day...

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    22,346
    vCash:
    51989
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Ertz is the best TE in this draft.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Interesting read Philbin on signing Mike Wallace
    By JTech194 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 02:43 PM
  2. Dolphins have ugly options at WR after Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings
    By Danny6813 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 10:21 PM
  3. MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings
    By PhinMagic in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM
  4. Greg Jennings vs Dwayne Bowe vs. Mike Wallace
    By Phinatic8u in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •