Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 76

Thread: Signing both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings/The Pat Riley effect

  1. -51
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,622
    vCash:
    24403
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    You're ignoring the most likely possibility.

    There IS NO way for us to achieve the effect you desire. You do it by establishing a pattern of winning, or you don't do it. Period. You've either already got the juice, or you don't. You're not going to get it all of a sudden by paying up for two free agent wide receivers.

    Would probably have the exact opposite effect as a matter of fact. Look at Washington. They built a reputation based on free agent activities and not based on their winning record. Did free agents try to go to Washington because of that? You bet. TO GET PAID. They looked at Washington like a broken ATM machine. None of them came even close to offering Washington below-market deals to play there.
    There are few players that might have this affect like a Peyton Manning and its nothing like NBA
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

  2. -52
    miamiron's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2005
    Posts:
    7,777
    vCash:
    498
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Everyone that thinks getting Wallace and Jennings would be "possible" fail to realize the other 31 teams in the NFL.
    An example would be New England letting Welker and his $9.5 million contract this past season walk then take that
    $9.5 million add to it a few more million and get a Wallace for Welker turnaround.

    If Miami was offering $11 million + and New England was offering the same
    I'm sorry but I'm going to Foxboro
    Quote Quote  

  3. -53
    dcnr226's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    1,106
    vCash:
    1551
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    You're ignoring the most likely possibility.

    There IS NO way for us to achieve the effect you desire. You do it by establishing a pattern of winning, or you don't do it. Period. You've either already got the juice, or you don't. You're not going to get it all of a sudden by paying up for two free agent wide receivers.

    Would probably have the exact opposite effect as a matter of fact. Look at Washington. They built a reputation based on free agent activities and not based on their winning record. Did free agents try to go to Washington because of that? You bet. TO GET PAID. They looked at Washington like a broken ATM machine. None of them came even close to offering Washington below-market deals to play there.
    I happen to think that both would take slightly less than top dollar to come to Miami. And i think if they do, that we should try and attain their services. You're right in that I don't want my Dolphins to become Washington; you're wrong in the assumption that thats the strategy i'm advocating. 2 WRs that complement each other - solidifying those 2 positions - and with the rest of the money and draft picks, fill holes everywhere else. That's all i'm saying.

    It was a pleasure debating this with you. Big fan of your work, btw.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -54
    dcnr226's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    1,106
    vCash:
    1551
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    There is no parallel to nba . That league is a mess with teams throwing seasons just to get cap space. Definately needs to be fixed. There is no building of teams for most part in nba its all about free agency and some cities have no chance to compete for free agents
    I'm thankful that i live in a big market in South Florida. I can't imagine the misery of being a Milwaukee Bucks fan. You're absolutely right.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -55
    ckparrothead's Avatar
    Premium Member

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    47,122
    vCash:
    2610
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    There are few players that might have this affect like a Peyton Manning and its nothing like NBA
    Peyton Manning is the only free agent that has changed hands in recent memory that could have an effect like this even close to the Heat example.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

  6. -56
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,622
    vCash:
    24403
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Peyton Manning is the only free agent that has changed hands in recent memory that could have an effect like this even close to the Heat example.
    and even with him it brought no Reggie Wayne or other major guy
    Quote Quote  

  7. -57
    ckparrothead's Avatar
    Premium Member

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    47,122
    vCash:
    2610
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnr226 View Post
    I happen to think that both would take slightly less than top dollar to come to Miami. And i think if they do, that we should try and attain their services. You're right in that I don't want my Dolphins to become Washington; you're wrong in the assumption that thats the strategy i'm advocating. 2 WRs that complement each other - solidifying those 2 positions - and with the rest of the money and draft picks, fill holes everywhere else. That's all i'm saying.

    It was a pleasure debating this with you. Big fan of your work, btw.
    Listen, I get the logic...and if you were talking about Peyton Manning I might even agree with it. But we're not. There's no real parallel to that NBA situation in this year's free agency. Hell, it's highly arguable there's never been a parallel to that NBA situation even within the NBA, prior to when it happened, and there hasn't been a parellel since either. It's not just a unique sport, it was a unique situation within that sport.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -58
    ckparrothead's Avatar
    Premium Member

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    47,122
    vCash:
    2610
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    and even with him it brought no Reggie Wayne or other major guy
    Nope. Just Brandon Stokley and Jacob Tamme, two guys set to be low-paid anyway.

    I think what the argument boils down to here is clearly dcnr226 thinks that Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings make sense as a pair of acquisitions from a football sense. He thinks they complement, that they'll be worth their asking price, etc. There's nothing wrong with that. He might be right. And maybe if Miami did that, and showed they're serious about making plays and paying to win some football games, you'll bring some fans back to the table...bring some genuine excitement back to the Dolphins.

    But outside of that, it's not going to affect anything else. Not going to affect free agents.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -59
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,622
    vCash:
    24403
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Nope. Just Brandon Stokley and Jacob Tamme, two guys set to be low-paid anyway.

    I think what the argument boils down to here is clearly dcnr226 thinks that Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings make sense as a pair of acquisitions from a football sense. He thinks they complement, that they'll be worth their asking price, etc. There's nothing wrong with that. He might be right. And maybe if Miami did that, and showed they're serious about making plays and paying to win some football games, you'll bring some fans back to the table...bring some genuine excitement back to the Dolphins.

    But outside of that, it's not going to affect anything else. Not going to affect free agents.
    So true because we have made big moves and spent plenty of money under the ireland regime and thats hasnt made free agents look to us first. People act like we never had money and draft picks under Ireland before. He has wasted the money and draft picks before
    Quote Quote  

  10. -60
    Awsi Dooger's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    6,390
    vCash:
    8906
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ckparrothead mentioned futures odds in another thread. For reference purposes, when the Heat signed James and Bosh to align with Wade, the Heat's odds to win the NBA championship were immediately cut from 25/1 to below 2/1.

    http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...ames-decision/

    It was actually a greater change than that. The 25/1 was posted with some knowledge that the Heat might thrive in the free agent market. With Wade alone, it would have been tighter to 75/1.

    If the Dolphins sign Jennings and Wallace, I suppose some joints would lower Miami from 50/1 to 40/1. Primarily due to sheer boredom, a determination to lower odds under any excuse, and the tendencies of casino managers to overreact.

    Let's see, I'm trying to envision a gathering of Tannehill, Wallace and Jennings onstage, with lights and cameras and pronouncement of forthcoming titles...
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Interesting read Philbin on signing Mike Wallace
    By JTech194 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 02:43 PM
  2. Dolphins have ugly options at WR after Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings
    By Danny6813 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 10:21 PM
  3. MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings
    By PhinMagic in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM
  4. Greg Jennings vs Dwayne Bowe vs. Mike Wallace
    By Phinatic8u in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •