Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Logical WR moves: Re-sign Hartline! Sign Wallace, and draft big WR DONE

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION Logical WR moves: Re-sign Hartline! Sign Wallace, and draft big WR DONE

Obviously I'm not an NFL GM. Just a fan posting on a fan forum about a subject that's been beaten more than the Phins have the last 10 years. That being said:

Hartline must be re-signed. He is a legitimate #2 WR or at the very least he has the real potential to be next season. Yes, he didn't score but the blame should be shared with the dismal supporting cast. He showed he could be a deep threat and a great possession WR. He has great chemistry with Tanne, is (26) young, and is a Dolphins draftee. Not to mention he is durable. He has played in all but 4 games in his 4 years with the Phins. As the 49ers and Ravens showed, you need to accumulate talent. Not part with it. He flourished with Tanne in the West Coast offensive and will only get better, especially when more weapons for opposing defenses to focus on are added.

I like Jennings, and early on I preferred him over Wallace. However, he has become injury-prone. You can't expect that to suddenly change if he changes uniforms as we have learned with the likes of former injury-prone signees such as Justin Smiley and Jake Grove. For the NFL, 30 years old is OLD. Jennings' arrow is pointing DOWN. Phins need to accumulate players on the rise. Wallace is that player. He may be limited in the routes he runs but with further coaching that can hopefully change. His speed and star quality is something the Dolphins lack and are starving for. He will come at a lofty price tag and there is concern surrounding his character. However, if the Dolphins perform a solid evaluation process and offer a big but somewhat self-protecting contract I believe he is worth it. A lot of NFL players lose their desire for the game after a big pay day, but I'm hoping (26) Wallace's desire, pride, and yes, ego, keep him hungry for winning. Dolphins are on the rise and along with Tanne, Wallace can be the face of this franchise for years to come.

Other than speed, the Dolphins are hugely lacking in a big and aggressive WR. Someone Boldin-esque. This has to be Ireland's job to find in the draft with a relatively later pick. Someone who can bully opposing CBs. He doesnt have to be the star Boldin is, at least not immediately, but he must be able to come up big when he is called upon and at least provide Tanne with an escape clause against aggressive defenses on occasion.

Just my 2 pennies
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Port st. lucie
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hartline should not be resigned unless the Dolphins want to be a sub .500 team for the next 5 years or so. We have a legislate chance to sign one or even two of the top 3 WRs in FA so why waste money on mediocre talent like Hartline??? 3 TDs in 48 games is not worth anywhere near the 5-6 million per year he's seeking!!! There is so many playmaking WRs in the draft as well. I like Hartline but what teams are out there ready to pay him 5+ million a year for 1 TD a year??? Let him go and upgrade the talent level on this team through FA and the Draft. We need playmakers to win games and Hartline is the polar opposite of a playmaker!!!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What is a legislate chance?

Quote Originally Posted by King Dingaling View Post
    Hartline should not be resigned unless the Dolphins want to be a sub .500 team for the next 5 years or so. We have a legislate chance to sign one or even two of the top 3 WRs in FA so why waste money on mediocre talent like Hartline??? 3 TDs in 48 games is not worth anywhere near the 5-6 million per year he's seeking!!! There is so many playmaking WRs in the draft as well. I like Hartline but what teams are out there ready to pay him 5+ million a year for 1 TD a year??? Let him go and upgrade the talent level on this team through FA and the Draft. We need playmakers to win games and Hartline is the polar opposite of a playmaker!!!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMO i would not resign Hartline and draft 2 WRs and Start the one that shows the best potential early on. Or sign a guy in FA that can play the #2 spot for less money or around the same hartline wants but can score point. Cribbs or Knoxs if healthy or Amendola if healthy. I think those are 3 guys that can come cheaper then hartline and produce about the same and then you draft a guy in the first 3 picks for the furture.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I bet there were many posts like this about Wes Welker when we traded him to NE. He had 1 TD in 32 gms with the phins. What happened in that situation? I think the Dolphins havent re-signed Hartline only because they want to show him no one will pay what he's asking. Once his price drops , he will be a dolphin again. Hartline can be a playmaker. Why take a chance in the draft when there's no clear big time WR. Save the high draft pick for other issues like a pass rusher or even CB and look for a WR with later picks.

And why sign multiple WRs besides Wallace? Are the phins that close to a Super Bowl? No. Got to spend money as wisely as possible and pay for youth and progress.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlexGod View Post
    IMO i would not resign Hartline and draft 2 WRs and Start the one that shows the best potential early on. Or sign a guy in FA that can play the #2 spot for less money or around the same hartline wants but can score point. Cribbs or Knoxs if healthy or Amendola if healthy. I think those are 3 guys that can come cheaper then hartline and produce about the same and then you draft a guy in the first 3 picks for the furture.
    Replace production with points works but the 3 guys you mentioned are not options. A declined special-teams player? Blazing receiver who just happens to be injury prone? A slot receiver who almost died from his injuries last year? C'mon. Maybe Domenik Hixon. Getting rid of Hartline is also getting rid of experience, something that a rookie receiver isn't going to come and provide.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I say
    1. Resign Hartline
    2. Sign Greg Jennings NOT Mike Wallace
    3. Sign Jared Cook
    4. Draft Stedman Bailey and/or Justin Hunter
    5. Win games
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I disagree with any plan that has us bringing Hartline back.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    I disagree with any plan that has us bringing Hartline back.
    Your plan then? Though Hartline isn't a play maker he has been one of the more consistent players at his position. What would happen if you surround him with talent? Jordy Nelson had 6 TDs in his first 3 years like Hartline before scoring 15 in 2011 and 7 the year after. Not saying Hartline will do that though. If Tannehill improves then I think we'll see more TDs from Hartline because let's face it, Hartline hasn't had the best of quarterbacks.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Leave Users Titles Alone!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oneida County, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think your domain name suits your comment!! He was the only playmaker on an under .500 team. I offer him something around 4-5 million and throw in some incentives...So based upon your logic - we sign two of a combo of Bowe-Jennings-Wallace for roughly 18-20 mil per season and these guys werent the receivers Hartline was this past year - check the statistics- Thank god you are not the GM of this team - ireland may have some issues but thank god he is not that stupid - They have routinely stressed that they will spend a bit of their money but will build a lasting team through the draft. I think we add one WR(Jennings), an OL(Livitre), a CB(Cox) and TE(Bennett or Cook) in free agency, and the rest of the playmakers come from the draft.
    Quote Quote