Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Awesome write up with hard facts Long, Pouncey, and Incognito are the strength of OL

1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Interesting article. Per usual, I have a beef. Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders may break down situational tendencies based on opponent but they have no clue that not every week is created equal. You get a far different opponent based on what happened a week earlier. Oakland, as everyone remembers, was in a terrible situational spot when they faced us. On the other hand, the Titans had just been embarrassed at home by the Bears. That was a huge uptick spot for them, when they faced us on the road coming off a loss like that.

That type of thing will never change, frankly. Situational awareness is a necessity in Las Vegas because the edges are otherwise so slight. Sites like those two have no stake in the outcome so they can comfortably pretend it's the same uniform so therefore the same team as a week earlier, or later.

Jake Long is the dilemma. One of my pet themes is premier players eligible to rebound. However, in this case it's not a bargain. You're supposed to receive a bargain in situations like that. Instead, you're asked to assume he'll restore to former level and pay accordingly. Jake Long in those final handful of games was scary to watch, particularly in pass protection, dropping that left foot back while absolutely frightened he'd be beaten quickly to the outside.

Jerry has no pop, given his current frame. He'd need to reshape his body and really work on nastiness going forward. Right now he's a fairly athletic guy who can absorb. And eat.

One thing about the run blocking strength of the left side of our line...it fits nicely with Lamar Miller's tendencies. Miller prefers to carry the ball in his left hand and he's more natural running left and planting his left foot. I noted that early in his Canes career. His explosive runs are invariably on the left side. Late in 2011 the Canes fan base soured on him when he flopped in many short yardage runs to the right side of the formation.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill was raped all day. OL stunk.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Greetings from Portlandia

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland, OR
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Informative article for what the data states, game specifics notwithstanding. I did not interpret the assessment of Long as all that positive, especially at an elite price. Incognito is perhaps on the rise (Pro Bowl (RT)) and Pouncey is very good. Martin and Jerry are big concerns.

If I'm not mistaken Miami Dolphins players do not have to shell out $$$$$$ in income tax like most players do. That's a built-in pay raise over other teams.

RW
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The tax situation only helps for half their games...They are taxed where the game occurs...So many players have to file returns with up to 9 states...Maybe more if you make a playoff run and make a Super Bowl...

You also get to deduct state/local taxes...So the effect isn't as great as fans think it is...
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Awesome write up with hard facts

Pretty sure our oline stunk for most of the year, i remember that very clearly. No amount of data or stats can cloud that fact.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/4...trench-warfare.

Long, Pouncey, and Incognito are the strength of OL and why Long must be brought back and Incognito extended. Jerry was the weak link in "run blocking" while Martin the weak link in "pass protection". Long and Incognito eventually as the season progressed showed they were good fits for the scheme, with Pouncey being consistent all the way through. Martin showed a little improvement but should eventually improve due to being a rookie. All of them had an awful few games, including Pouncey, but the numbers speak for themselves. So now we should put the OL myths to rest.
    VG read, and thanks for posting it. I disagree but, need some time to go through it in detail. Initially, it would seem that they have a problem with PFF, and the National attension they have received. Not a bad thing.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Buffalo disrupted if not destroyed the Oline in Buff
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/v...3-68ec5cff313b. Here's Mike Florio stopping by the Finsiders Studios agreeing that if we do not re-sign Jake Long we would be doing a very big mistake. Nice to hear some in the media acknowledging the things you see as common sense and obvious. Nice.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/v...3-68ec5cff313b. Here's Mike Florio stopping by the Finsiders Studios agreeing that if we do not re-sign Jake Long we would be doing a very big mistake. Nice to hear some in the media acknowledging the things you see as common sense and obvious. Nice.
    And what gives anyone any reason to think Florio knows any more than some posters here? Answer- Absolutely nothing. JMO

Before getting into this report, I have to say that I watch every Dolphins game at least twice, and do disagree. However, I am no expert, leave that to Philbin. Hasta Manana.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    And what gives anyone any reason to think Florio knows any more than some posters here? Answer- Absolutely nothing. JMO

Before getting into this report, I have to say that I watch every Dolphins game at least twice, and do disagree. However, I am no expert, leave that to Philbin. Hasta Manana.
    Hahaha I kinda expected that type of a response by somebody lol. Like I said though, "nice to hear" nonetheless.
    Quote Quote