Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Awesome write up with hard facts Long, Pouncey, and Incognito are the strength of OL

1. -31
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    Hahaha I kinda expected that type of a response by somebody lol. Like I said though, "nice to hear" nonetheless.
    Let us see if "somebody" can change your mind. I look forward to it but, do not have the time to do so tonight. You "may" not be laughing as much. We shall see. JMO
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Continuity with the scheme with a challenger for Jerry will push Miami's OL to very good. Tannehill's maturity with better decision making will also help improve the OL's numbers overall. Two new starters at WR, an addition to our TEs, and Smith taking the Daniel Thomas snaps and splitting time with Bush will likewise improve the OL's numbers. If Ireland follows this strategy, we will challenge NE for the AFC East title.

You obviously didn't bother to read the article or you didn't understand the numbers.
    I agree with most of what was said and the conclusion they reached. Long was a mediocre player last year who improved in some aspects as the year progressed. Go by the rankings they use and you can find a dozen left tackles that outperformed him last year....and probably the previous year as well. To me the only way you can justify paying the man is if you're convinced his performance the last two years has been severely effected by injury and hes capable of bouncing back. And even if you reach that conclusion I don't know how you can offer a long term deal of the size hes seeking to an injury prone player.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Excellent breakdown, thanks MrEd.

Its nice to see some stats because I'm tired of hearing how Martin played well at LT and how Jerry is better than Incognito. The fact of the matter is that while Martin possesses the potential to be a good T, he simply wasn't a good enough pass protector to play LT as of last season. In 10 of 16 games last season Martin was scored as bad or worse in pass protection. That's not being outclassed athletically though, he has that and the frame to grow ... with him it's all strength. I've crossed all my fingers and toes that he gains the power needed and gets accustomed to RT in the offseason and is ready to make huge strides in 2013.

Jerry scored bad or worse in the run game 11 of 16 games. Honestly, this should be Jerry's forte, and I hope it will be when/if he gets up to speed with the zone block scheme. But, he's disappointed every season with his production and every offseason with his preparation, so I'm not expecting this leopard to change his spots in 2013. IMHO, this is the guy we need to replace first. I was a little surprised to see his pass protection graded bad or below only 5 of 16 times though ... as his pass blocking appeared poor to me far more often than every third game.

The encouraging part about Long was that his run blocking scored strong (good or great in 7 of 8 games after week four), and his pass protection scored good or great in 9 of 12 games. That's not quite as horrible as this board would have you believe. Considering his injury issues and switching to the ZBS, that's impressive. Hopefully people can see why Mike Pouncey is lobbying so hard to keep Jake Long. No, he's not truly elite like he was his first few seasons, but he's still a good LT and those are hard to find. To me, the biggest negative isn't scored though, and that's the fact he missed 4 of 16 games from injury, and he has been missing games to injury a lot in recent years.

So all in all, it looks like Pouncey is a stud, Long is a stud when healthy, and Incognito has adapted to the ZBS better and faster than anybody expected. Unfortunately, Jonathan Martin took his lumps as a rookie, but hopefully this experience helped him learn what he needs to work on in the offseason. Jerry remains a project.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Dolphins' average yards-per-carry gets worse the closer the running back came to running near right guard John Jerry.

i know that should not be funny at all but it certainly made me chuckle.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=miamiron;1064576839]

I guess the Perennial part ended this season
    Of which it was the injury that held him from making yet another pro-bowl, not his talent. If he had been healthy, he probably would have yet again made it to another pro-bowl.
    Quote Quote