Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Has Jeff Ireland learned from mistakes?

1. -41
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Toyota LogoManchester United FCXbox Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Has Ireland learned from his mistakes? Well, there is a way to tell, just ask him how he see's the draft and compare it to previous years. Lets test it:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...lower-r/nT7YK/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...tannehill-help

Think the answer is a resounding no. For a guy that had nothing to do with "Parcells drafts", his philosophy sure looks similar. Must be a total coincidence.
    he doesn't have a clue.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    BELIEVE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Golden State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    1972 Dolphins LogoSnakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by SR 7 View Post
    People think its easy to change a mind set, to change a habit, and a way someone was TAUGHT to be. Since he was a ball boy he was around people and taught by people that big, strong, and disciplined players are key. You think that will cahgne after 25 years? ESPECIALLY what your brain and more importantly your EYES are used to seeing.
    People seem to forget Ireland is no longer building a team in Sparano/Parcell's image. That old, antiquated philosophy of building a conservative, do-just-enough-to-win aka play not to lose team mentality is no longer here.

Ireland's hand is pretty much forced in that he's got to work with Philbin and build the team the way our head coach sees fit. We all know that Philbin comes from a Green Bay team who was known for an go-all-out explosive offenses. I believe that's what Philbin and his staff are trying to re-create here.

One negative that really seemed to frustrate Philbin more than anything, was our lack of playmakers this past season. There were too many times where we were just one or two plays away from sealing a win, but failed to do so because the talent just wasn't there especially at the receiver position. Granted, Ireland shares the blame in that, but now he's got ZERO excuse not to add those pieces.

Not only does the GM have the financial resources and the draft picks to do so, but his job is in that now-or-never mode. Maybe that should've been the case years ago, but we've got to deal with him at least for another year. Ireland has got an impatient owner and fanbase breathing down his neck. The boss, the head coach, and most importantly...the fans want (and in most cases DEMAND) a change in philosophy...back to exciting, WINNING football. So what our eyes may have been "used to seeing" may already well be a distant memory.
    I just try to be myself, whatever that is. I don't think about how I'll be remembered. I just want to be consistent over a long period of time. That's what the great players do.
    -Dan Marino
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=roy_miami;1064577154]Ireland is too conservative in everything he does, that's not something you can unlearn.[/QUOTE
    i disagree, Iteland went out and traded for Mrashall. Bush! That's conservative? But another poster is right, Ireland was drafting with the guidance of old man parcels and Sparano didn't know what he was doing. With the absence of then both and the addition of a football nerds (Tannehill/philbin) Ireland has just begun to build the team the right way.
    "I'm bringing it to technology"
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Built a "get a lead and hold it" team since Wannstache. Just does not work anymore. Ireland has to value REAL speed more. Do not think he has a clue BUT I hope I am wrong. Just hope Coach Philbin has more influence than we think.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malzacher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Ireland is too conservative in everything he does, that's not something you can unlearn.
    i disagree, Iteland went out and traded for Mrashall. Bush! That's conservative? But another poster is right, Ireland was drafting with the guidance of old man parcels and Sparano didn't know what he was doing. With the absence of then both and the addition of a football nerds (Tannehill/philbin) Ireland has just begun to build the team the right way.
    Trading a fifth for underachiving (at the time) Bush was very conservative. Also, if he gets no blame for the Parcells era, he gets no credit for Marshall.
    Last edited by Valandui; 02-06-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

The Devin Townsend Project: Kingdom (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZjziohaPc
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i cant believe he is still the gm ross must be the stupid in owner in the nfl wait and see how many people go to the game for not letting go of jeff i. he sucks and is on a mission to another maybe 8&8 season
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I think that by breaking his own rule and taking Tannehill shows growth and a recognition of talent. Lots of potential for success this offseason, which also means there is a lot of potential for failure. Let's see if he opens his pocket to big FAs, as well as bring the right guys in through the draft and turn this into a playoff team THIS YEAR.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Football Guru

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Until he proves otherwise, Ireland sucks!!
    Please God, let me see 1 Dolphins Superbowl victory before I die.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bahamas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by herndonsr View Post
    i cant believe he is still the gm ross must be the stupid in owner in the nfl wait and see how many people go to the game for not letting go of jeff i. he sucks and is on a mission to another maybe 8&8 season
    Deal with it.

Quote Quote  

10. -50
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by andyahs View Post
    Deal with it.
    Exactly, Ireland is the GM for the 2013 season that is not going to change. Bitching and moaning about him having the job is just annoying and pointless at this point. If you want to talk about his record or what he will do this upcoming offseason, fine, but to keep saying things like "Why is he the GM?", "Ireland needs to be fired", blah blah blah is not going to accomplish anything.

As a Dolphins fan you should be HOPING and ROOTING for Ireland succeed during this upcoming free agency period and the draft. The ultimate goal for all of us Dolphins fans is to see the team get better, get back in the playoffs and eventually bring home the Lombardi Trophy. Hoping for the GM to fail is not what any of us should be doing. Sure you can come back at this post with "look at his record", "I have no faith in him" or whatever same lines you have been writing but that doesn't change the fact that Ireland will be signing players this March and drafting players in April. That is going to happen whether you or I like it. With that said, the BEST thing for this franchise is for Ireland to be successful this offseason because failure will likely mean a GM change at the end of the season and very possibly a head coaching change. We will be starting completely over again, that would not be good.

This offseason is set up to be one of the most exciting and eventful offseasons for the Dolphins in a long time with $45+ million in cap space and 5 draft picks in the top 82. The money and picks are there to make a quick turnaround and be in the playoffs next season. With all this money and cap space, and the fact that we have our quarterback position settled makes me very excited for the future of this team. Go Dolphins!

Quote Quote