Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland: "We violated principle" to draft QB Ryan Tannehill

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland: "We violated principle" to draft QB Ryan Tannehill

Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland visited with Jesse Agler and John Congemi on the team's radio show, The Finsiders, yesterday. While the three talked about several things, hitting on the fact that the Dolphins started selling their 2013 season tickets packages yesterday, as well as some free agent talk. But, a large portion of the show was taken up with talk about last year's draft for the Dolphins.
    Congemi asked Ireland about how he feels about the progression of their "big time player" at quarterback, Ryan Tannehill. "Well, I think he's done a great job this year. Obviously, he's got 35 starts under his belt to this day, and that's huge because, the axiom you go by in scouting is you like to see a quarterback have 30 starts under his belt before he's ready to play. We kind of violated that, our principle or axiom, by drafting a player that didn't have those starts.
    "But now he does and I think we are better for it. This team is better for it. Ryan is better for it. So now we're going to hopefully see a big jump in his development. We're not satisfied where he is right now. He has a long way to go. He knows that. We know that. But, we think, if we can surround him with some things, not only from a protection stand point, but some play makers down the field, he's only going to get better and better and better."
    Agler then asked why the team decided to break their philosophy and draft Tannehill, despite the less than 30 starts (Tannehill had 19 career starts at quarterback with Texas A&M). "Really, it was just about Ryan and how he presented himself," Ireland explained. "He was really, really smart, poised beyond his years, mature beyond his years. Sometimes, it's not the starts, it's the composure, the poise, how smart he is, how quickly he's going to pick things up. The fact that he had been in the quarterback room, for all those years, even though he was playing receiver, he was going through all those meetings. And then, obviously, we hire a guy in Mike Sherman that was with him.so you had a lot of things going in the right direction for Ryan.
    "I was on him very early. I loved his athletic skill set. And that's just kind of the way college is going. They are going more athletic quarterback. I loved his stature, he's 6'3-1/2", 220 pounds; he runs 4.5-4.55. He can throw the ball with accuracy, with timing. When you add the makeup to it, it was a natural fit for me."

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/5...-draft-qb-ryan
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would hope that Jeff Ireland continues to go outside his "axiom" from time to time.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Die hard Fins Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland: "We violated principle" to draft QB Ryan Tannehill

I'm glad they did... My favorite player on the team is Tannehill
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Münchweiler, Germany
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hopefully he'll violate another principle and drafts some playmakers this year.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Super Moderator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aberdeen
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arsenal shield
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    I would hope that Jeff Ireland continues to go outside his "axiom" from time to time.
    I hope he does...no more Lineman in the first round.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    I hope he does...no more Lineman in the first round.
    Its sad that its a very serious possibility. If Patterson is picked earlier than 12, we could go for fisher or Johnson, which are OT's.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1st Team All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jeff is the one who needs to be violated.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Crazy how actually watching film and going thought the interview process can lead to quality draft picks. Just pick the best player!
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Axiom, matrix and acorns it's the new trifecta
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Was it his principle or Parcells? Me thinks that Joe Philbin is going to be a good influence on Ireland.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote