Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Metrics Breakdown of Wheaton, Williams, Hunter, and Patton

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Here is my issue with Williams, He seems to never be able to survive the first touch. Sometimes the slightest touch and he's on the ground. May sound petty but If there is one thing I hate seeing is WR's go right down after the slightest touch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep3ASYyhUB4
    This. Williams needs to get a whole lot more physical to survive the NFL. Is it in his character? Time will tell.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NUGap View Post
    Like I've said before, I'm a really big Patton fan. Second highest YAC overall, Fourth highest yards after screen, 4th best drop percentage, variety in where he's catching the ball, and the most red zone yardage by far, plus just good showing on tape in general. I still have him hovering around third ranked receiver.
    Hey NUGap. Something I've noticed that I can't get anyone else to confirm or deny they've seen with Patton. A lot of body-catching. The games I've seen, I've noticed him letting the ball fall to him. I didn't see a lot of him extending out and highpointing the ball. I think he likes it in the bread-basket. The sample size I've looked at isn't huge - maybe 3/4 games. Maybe some of it is on the QB too. But you want to see plenty of evidence of him using his full catch radius and I haven't seen much.

Other than that, I think the kid has everything you're looking for in a physical receiver who can work the sideline and the endzone. But it's definitely a niggle for me.

With all the games you've analysed, can you confirm, deny or comment??!!
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know you've approached me before with the same question regarding Patton and the perceived body catching, although I just don't view that as a significant knock, but rather something that prevents him from being an elite prospect.

I've seen a lot of receivers who had a tendancy to be body catchers in college that remained so in the NFL, and went on to be productive players and have solid careers.... guys who weren't quite as talented as Patton.

To me it points to the reality that Patton is going to have to create a bit more seperation for himself than a receiver who uses his full catch radius, which Patton is fairly capable of in my estimation given his ability. He's a kid that's absolutely eaten up the best DB's college football can throw at him.... DB's who will be playing in the NFL. DB's who came into the matchup knowing that they had to stop him based on their film study of the previous week when he was torching another top NFL prospect.

I'd be surprised if Quinton Patton didn't turn out to be a solid receiver at the next level. I don't think I could say that about a lot of these kids.
    Quote Quote