Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Christie's Struggle and the Politics of Weight

1. -11
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    Researchers tracked more than 5,000 men starting at the age of 20 until up to age 80. They found that at any given age, an obese man was twice as likely to die as a man who was not obese, and that obesity at age 20 appeared to be a constant factor in death rates up to 60 years later.

---
    A total of 1,191 men died during the follow-up period of up to 60 years. Of the survivors at age 70, about 70 percent had not been obese at age 20. Though the other 70-year-old survivors had been obese, just as many obese men had died by then.

---
    http://www.livescience.com/8403-obes...man-years.html

It really isn't even up for debate. Obesity is DEADLY. If an obese person doesn't take steps to lead a healthier lifestyle and reduce their weight significantly, their chances of living past age 70 are remote. Obese people are much more like to succumb to heart failure or cancer than non-obese people. This has been found to be true in numerous studies throughout the years.

If nutrition was a larger part of our healthcare here in America, it would diminish the incidences of a lot of preventable diseases that greatly increase the cost of healthcare and insurance in this country. We are paying for all the people who lead unhealthy lifestyles.
    You stated that he would be dead in 10 years, no ifs ands or buts.....then proceed to pot info that shows that people do survive. Im not denying obesity leads to many horrific things, but i also know theres no such thing as 100% when you are predicting about people.

Christie has made his choices, he may make different ones going forward. The fact is, its his life, and it will play out however God, or fate of Vishnu or The Supreme being chooses. He may die in a car wreck tomorrow, and all your worrying about his fat comes to nothing. Of course, he could be shot at and all that fat slows the bullet and he lives...because he was fat.

Im not sure why this is such an issue for you, but understand, im not denying the research, im saying you cant paint every single person with that broad brush. Christie could outlive us both...how about we focus on the man and his accomplishments and leadership and let him and his tailor worry about his waist size

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Chris Christie's Struggle and the Politics of Weight

Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    You stated that he would be dead in 10 years, no ifs ands or buts.....then proceed to pot info that shows that people do survive. Im not denying obesity leads to many horrific things, but i also know theres no such thing as 100% when you are predicting about people.

Christie has made his choices, he may make different ones going forward. The fact is, its his life, and it will play out however God, or fate of Vishnu or The Supreme being chooses. He may die in a car wreck tomorrow, and all your worrying about his fat comes to nothing. Of course, he could be shot at and all that fat slows the bullet and he lives...because he was fat.

Im not sure why this is such an issue for you, but understand, im not denying the research, im saying you cant paint every single person with that broad brush. Christie could outlive us both...how about we focus on the man and his accomplishments and leadership and let him and his tailor worry about his waist size
    I don't know why you are so against people reaching out to him and urging him to get help for this serious condition.

I actually like Christie, but I couldn't find myself voting for him for presidential office unless I was very comfortable with his running mate as a direct result of his health issues. Even if he doesn't die in 10 years, he will begin to develop serious, debilitating health problems over that span that could impair his ability to perform his duties in a satisfactory manner.

All I said is that I believe he should have bariatric surgery to begin fixing his health problem. Self control alone is often not enough to overcome obesity, and that certainly doesn't appear to be the case for Christie.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Now Michelle Obamas fat ass is another thing alltogether.......thats a matter of national importance....she represents us across the globe
    Is this serious or a joke...?

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

4. -14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know why you are so against people reaching out to him and urging him to get help for this serious condition.

I actually like Christie, but I couldn't find myself voting for him for presidential office unless I was very comfortable with his running mate as a direct result of his health issues. Even if he doesn't die in 10 years, he will begin to develop serious, debilitating health problems over that span that could impair his ability to perform his duties in a satisfactory manner.

All I said is that I believe he should have bariatric surgery to begin fixing his health problem. Self control alone is often not enough to overcome obesity, and that certainly doesn't appear to be the case for Christie.
    You realize not everyone is a good candidate for surgery....whether its gastric bypass, bariatri surgery or lap band. His health is a matter for him, his doctor and his family.

Im not against anyone encouraging him, what i am against is the political issue being made of it. If the man is comfortable in his own skin, if a doctor says he can handle the rigors of the office, then he should be allowed to be what he wants to be in regards to his weight.

I'm 5-10 230#, you wouldnt find anyone calling me fat, especially if you get into my numbers. Im glad you want better for him, but unless he feels like he can do something about it, its a moot point.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Is this serious or a joke...?
    Dont look here...the jokes in your hand

Seriously.....after all my posts...you gotta ask?
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Taft lived to be 73 years old, and he was pushing four bills when he was president (he had to be pried out of the White House bathtub once). I don't see it as a huge deal, personally. The job is more demanding now than it was then but still, Clinton made it through with a bad heart and Reagan did okay despite being ****ing ancient, getting shot and struggling with the beginnings of Parkinson's by the time he left office.

It would draw more attention to his choice for Vice President if he got that far, though. Definitely. Just as McCain's choice of Palin was made that much worse by the fact that McCain is also old and suffers from repeated bouts of skin cancer.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Chris Christie's Struggle and the Politics of Weight

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Taft lived to be 73 years old, and he was pushing four bills when he was president (he had to be pried out of the White House bathtub once). I don't see it as a huge deal, personally. The job is more demanding now than it was then but still, Clinton made it through with a bad heart and Reagan did okay despite being ****ing ancient, getting shot and struggling with the beginnings of Parkinson's by the time he left office.

It would draw more attention to his choice for Vice President if he got that far, though. Definitely. Just as McCain's choice of Palin was made that much worse by the fact that McCain is also old and suffers from repeated bouts of skin cancer.
    John McCain's health, age and VP choice is actually a perfect example. I was considering voting for him, but those 3 things definitely factored into my decision. Had he chosen a more qualified running mate, I might have been tempted to vote for him (although the way he completely went against his own principles during that campaign turned me off to him ultimately.)

But in McCain's case, there was nothing he could actively do to help his health situation other than go to frequent doctor checkups, remove growths, and stay out of the sun, all of which he appeared to do. A lot of McCain's damage was done years ago, and at that point there was not much else he could do.

In Christie's case, there are definitely measures he could take to ensure that he can be as healthy as possible for the office. If surgery is off the table for him, he could certainly entertain other options to get the situation under control.

Personally, if a candidate does not make his own health a priority for the sake of his family and constituents, it is a definite black mark against him.

I would also say the same of Obama who apparently continues to smoke even with the knowledge that it will lead to serious health issues down the road.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    John McCain's health, age and VP choice is actually a perfect example. I was considering voting for him, but those 3 things definitely factored into my decision. Had he chosen a more qualified running mate, I might have been tempted to vote for him (although the way he completely went against his own principles during that campaign turned me off to him ultimately.)

But in McCain's case, there was nothing he could actively do to help his health situation other than go to frequent doctor checkups, remove growths, and stay out of the sun, all of which he appeared to do. A lot of McCain's damage was done years ago, and at that point there was not much else he could do.

In Christie's case, there are definitely measures he could take to ensure that he can be as healthy as possible for the office. If surgery is off the table for him, he could certainly entertain other options to get the situation under control.

Personally, if a candidate does not make his own health a priority for the sake of his family and constituents, it is a definite black mark against him.

I would also say the same of Obama who apparently continues to smoke even with the knowledge that it will lead to serious health issues down the road.
    And dont forget Michelles big fat ass
    Quote Quote