Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 66

Thread: Stadium Renovation NOT on delegations list of priorities

  1. -51
    GO Deep!! F'N DEEP!!!!!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    320
    vCash:
    821
    Thanks / No Thanks
    BTW Roads and highways are funded by the FloridaDOT and the Federal Government through fuel taxes.

    http://www.dot.state.fl.us/financial...2011%20JAN.pdf
    Quote Quote  

  2. -52
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    33,553
    vCash:
    39585
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    [QUOTE=ohall;1064579425]If you have one of those jobs, I doubt you would hold this kind of irrational, and wonderland type of thinking. Simply amazing, lol![/QUOTE

    whats amazing is how some people think that the dolphins have so much impact on the economy that we should give out welfare to fix Ross's stadium. The NFL and Ross are quite able to fund their own endeavers. They are just beyond greedy and try to use the taxpayers to enhance millionaires pockets. We could create more jobs than the dolphins do with 200 million dollars. Plenty of economists would argue that the overall financial impact for a ciity having an nfl team are quite minimal. If the dolphins want to share some of their profits with the taxpayers and payback the loan Im all for it. I dont think anybody that is visiting Miami should pay one more cent extra just so Ross can get more for his team when he sells it. Why does Ross deserve welfare while other companies who have less of a profit margin have to actually pay for their buildings all on their own. It is not the community's job to make sure that Ross's stadium is up to par, thats Ross's job.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -53
    Zounds's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2005
    Posts:
    7,935
    vCash:
    22080
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    whats amazing is how some people think that the dolphins have so much impact on the economy that we should give out welfare to fix Ross's stadium.
    I think local gov should help out with these kinds of costs because they also reap the benefits. I don't see why it cant be a joint venture since both parties benefit from it. I can understand why someone would not want the local government to subsidize an oil company, because they would receive no cost-benefit, but this isn't an oil company. Its not corporate welfare either - cities have to compete for businesses just like Miami has to compete for a Super Bowl. Pretty much all cities around the US subsidize private companies that add value to a community - performing arts centers, parks, stadiums, private universities and schools, marinas, ect. Even Disney gets huge subsidies here in Orlando because they add value to the community and bring in money to the local economy. Cities invest in these kinds of private ventures all the time because they also directly benefit from them.

    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Plenty of economists would argue that the overall financial impact for a ciity having an nfl team are quite minimal.
    Show me an economist who says that. Average NFL teams receive over $250 million in annual revenue, and that's not including stadium and tourism revenue. And if you can get awarded a Super Bowl or BCS Championship game, you are looking at a reported $200-$400 million boost in your local economy for that one game.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -54
    ohall's Avatar
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2002
    Posts:
    26,976
    vCash:
    7378
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=dlockz;1064579548]
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    If you have one of those jobs, I doubt you would hold this kind of irrational, and wonderland type of thinking. Simply amazing, lol![/QUOTE

    whats amazing is how some people think that the dolphins have so much impact on the economy that we should give out welfare to fix Ross's stadium. The NFL and Ross are quite able to fund their own endeavers. They are just beyond greedy and try to use the taxpayers to enhance millionaires pockets. We could create more jobs than the dolphins do with 200 million dollars. Plenty of economists would argue that the overall financial impact for a ciity having an nfl team are quite minimal. If the dolphins want to share some of their profits with the taxpayers and payback the loan Im all for it. I dont think anybody that is visiting Miami should pay one more cent extra just so Ross can get more for his team when he sells it. Why does Ross deserve welfare while other companies who have less of a profit margin have to actually pay for their buildings all on their own. It is not the community's job to make sure that Ross's stadium is up to par, thats Ross's job.
    It's called investing. As I stated over and over, if the city continues to play poor mouth with this owner, in time he will move them. I would. There are dozens of cities willing to pay him what he's asking for, and more. What's more important, it's about damn time Dade county did the right thing when it concerns the Phins.

    And save the minimal economic impact crap for someone that believes building highways is the answer to our countries economic problems...
    Quote Quote  

  5. -55
    Spesh's Avatar
    #freespesh

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    8,455
    vCash:
    1378
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    I stated the Dolphins, and specifically the stadium situations present and past are/were a private entity. So...

    Yes, I do believe you and others that have posted in this THREAD do have socialist tendencies. The whole highway thing, is a dead give away!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    Sorry although the stadium is a private entity, in no way does it fit into the AVG definition.
    Using taxpayer money to support the infrastruction of our society: socialism. Redistributing tax payer money into a private business: farthest thing possible from socialism. Your batting a thousand.

    I wont even get into how absolutely silly it is to be in favor of depriving hundreds(if not thousands) of construction workers jobs because Ross provides his dozens of employees with jobs. Numbers seem to be a complete mystery to you, so im not surprised your totally confused by what tax payer money is used for.


    Terrorist attack count against the Anything Goes Thread: 2
    Quote Quote  

  6. -56
    Awsi Dooger's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    6,744
    vCash:
    12432
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    So, people who use tax payer money to not starve to death: low life scum.
    Corporation privatizing their profits while socializing their losses/costs: perfectly acceptable.

    Interesting view of the world you have.
    There's an entire political party that depends on that mindset.

    ***

    Unfortunately this bill won't drift away. They didn't dare prioritize it, as someone pointed out early in the thread. That would have prompted scathing columns, with comparisons to other topics lower on the ladder. This way they can keep it just outside the feature bills while maintaining every intention to bring it up.

    There is still time to contact the senators. I've done so and received one thoughtful long reply, saying I brought up points she had not considered.

    I'm in opposition, willing to bide time for a new stadium. The idea that the Dolphins will otherwise move is laughable. That's another standby of that mindset...pure irrational fear. For anyone who dreads the franchise will move, I'd like them to set the odds on everything. Yes, everything. Not for betting purposes, necessarily. But comedy value. It would be a daily riot.

    Roads should be patched...not stadiums.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -57
    GO Deep!! F'N DEEP!!!!!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    320
    vCash:
    821
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    There's an entire political party that depends on that mindset.

    ***

    Unfortunately this bill won't drift away. They didn't dare prioritize it, as someone pointed out early in the thread. That would have prompted scathing columns, with comparisons to other topics lower on the ladder. This way they can keep it just outside the feature bills while maintaining every intention to bring it up.

    There is still time to contact the senators. I've done so and received one thoughtful long reply, saying I brought up points she had not considered.

    I'm in opposition, willing to bide time for a new stadium. The idea that the Dolphins will otherwise move is laughable. That's another standby of that mindset...pure irrational fear. For anyone who dreads the franchise will move, I'd like them to set the odds on everything. Yes, everything. Not for betting purposes, necessarily. But comedy value. It would be a daily riot.

    Roads should be patched...not stadiums.
    Roads will continue to be patched, whether this gets approved or not. You want better roads ask for more taxes on your gas (see how that goes) as that is the only way to fund road construction in the state.
    Any money collected on this bill is collected solely for the purpose of the stadium upgrades. No Bill, no money, no upgrades.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -58
    ohall's Avatar
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2002
    Posts:
    26,976
    vCash:
    7378
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Using taxpayer money to support the infrastruction of our society: socialism. Redistributing tax payer money into a private business: farthest thing possible from socialism. Your batting a thousand.

    I wont even get into how absolutely silly it is to be in favor of depriving hundreds(if not thousands) of construction workers jobs because Ross provides his dozens of employees with jobs. Numbers seem to be a complete mystery to you, so im not surprised your totally confused by what tax payer money is used for.
    The point you continue to miss, if you do not invest in your economy you won't get a return. The city needs to invest in the Dolphins for once in this century. It's been nearly 50 years since they have invested in the cities premier sports franchise in any serious way. The city of Miami has got a free ride from the Dolphins for far too long. Investing in modernizing JRS won't take away ONE job for any current or future highway programs. If you can't admit that, have a nice day.

    On a side note, highway programs is not the backbone of any cities economy, or countries economy. Some of you have been told a HUGE lie by a certain so called leader of this country.

    ---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    There's an entire political party that depends on that mindset.

    ***

    Unfortunately this bill won't drift away. They didn't dare prioritize it, as someone pointed out early in the thread. That would have prompted scathing columns, with comparisons to other topics lower on the ladder. This way they can keep it just outside the feature bills while maintaining every intention to bring it up.

    There is still time to contact the senators. I've done so and received one thoughtful long reply, saying I brought up points she had not considered.

    I'm in opposition, willing to bide time for a new stadium. The idea that the Dolphins will otherwise move is laughable. That's another standby of that mindset...pure irrational fear. For anyone who dreads the franchise will move, I'd like them to set the odds on everything. Yes, everything. Not for betting purposes, necessarily. But comedy value. It would be a daily riot.

    Roads should be patched...not stadiums.
    Right up until the moving trucks pull up...
    Quote Quote  

  9. -59
    Zounds's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2005
    Posts:
    7,935
    vCash:
    22080
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I'm in opposition, willing to bide time for a new stadium. The idea that the Dolphins will otherwise move is laughable. That's another standby of that mindset...pure irrational fear.
    Nothing laughable about it. It can absolutely happen, but not in the way you think. We aren't talking about losing the Dolphins to Los Angeles. Right now Broward county gets all of the tax revenue, but what if Dade or Palm Beach county offers a better deal for a new stadium down the road? Why wouldn't Broward county want to give the Dolphins a good deal to keep them? If I were Broward county I would definitely be afraid of losing that revenue.

    New York City bid hard for the new stadium that hosts the Jets and Giants, but it was built in New Jersey instead of Manhattan. Go look up the story about how Foxborough beat out Boston for the right to build Gillette Stadium. Ross will go wherever he gets the best deal, and some county/city will give him that deal at some point.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -60
    TealAttack13's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2013
    Posts:
    1,546
    vCash:
    4496
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    New York City bid hard for the new stadium that hosts the Jets and Giants, but it was built in New Jersey instead of Manhattan
    A lot of the reason why this happened was because the Olympic Stadium they wanted to build for these last Summer Games failed. It was called the "West Side Stadium", but most fans hated the plan because there was no parking, therefore no tailgating. The other reason was because the land it was built on wasn't sold to the team (meant to be exclusively for the Jets). It was being auctioned off, and they didn't want to be the highest bidder, especially because Donald Trump wanted it for more offices/housing. It also died, of course, when NYC lost the Olympic bid to London, but all of it worked against the stadium collectively. Once the WWS failed, there was no hope for a stadium in NYC.

    Chris Christie has also been VERY proactive in building up New Jersey, as have many of the politicians who were in control once this building broke ground. They already had the land, as they were putting the new building right next to the old one. Not to mention, NYC was in no position to fund a stadium right after the Yankees and Mets both opened new stadiums, although I think the Yankees mostly funded privately.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 02:44 PM
  2. Stadium Renovations: A List of All Changes...(Please)
    By A&O in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM
  3. Does Huizenga reconsider stadium renovation ?
    By PMZQ in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-22-2006, 09:26 PM
  4. List our top 5 priorities going into the offseason.
    By phinfan2003 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 07:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •