Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jared Odrick to hit trade block?

1. -41
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Odrick MIGHT do well on the inside in a 3-technique position but unfortunately we don't know because the Dolphins have had him playing end. Thing is, we have a guy that we KNOW plays that position well. Really well. Damn near Pro Bowl well. Why give him up in exchange for a "maybe"? I don't understand that.

I think the smart move would be to re-sign Starks and then see if you could trade Odrick. Even if you can't trade him, move him back to the interior and have him rotate more actively with Starks and Soliai. He has to focus on that position if you want to get a better idea what his real ceiling is.
    I don't know why people are so willing to give up the one guy, besides Wake, who is a consistent producer on the line...for a guy that has shown very little. Personally, I think Randall has shown more potential on the interior than Odrick.
    "May the acorns rest in peace..."
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We couldn't get a 2nd rounder for Jared Odrick. Most likely a 3rd or early 4th.

Particularly on the lead up to the draft. Nobody wants to surrender draft picks for blase players. The fans want to use the picks and the general manager wants to use the picks. Odrick could command a decent salary in free agency but a fan base would go nuts if a 2nd round pick were surrendered for him. It would have to be a general manager secure in his job and with a conviction on Odrick. And there's the problem. A general manager secure in his job would likely be skilled at his job, and confident that he could turn a 2nd rounder into far greater return than Jared Odrick.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    We couldn't get a 2nd rounder for Jared Odrick. Most likely a 3rd or early 4th.

Particularly on the lead up to the draft. Nobody wants to surrender draft picks for blase players. The fans want to use the picks and the general manager wants to use the picks. Odrick could command a decent salary in free agency but a fan base would go nuts if a 2nd round pick were surrendered for him. It would have to be a general manager secure in his job and with a conviction on Odrick. And there's the problem. A general manager secure in his job would likely be skilled at his job, and confident that he could turn a 2nd rounder into far greater return than Jared Odrick.
    You would find it easier to convince a team to give up a high pick in 2014, IMO. A lot of teams are still stuck on the idea that those picks are not as valuable as the equivalent in the present draft.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    True, but I've always thought that the reason teams prefer to trade future draft picks rather than current year's draft picks is that the GM and coaching staff knows they get value today and can help them keep their jobs today. Whereas if they do poorly it's simply less resources for the next guy to show them up, heh.

When you have a coaching staff that is consistently good like the Patriots, the GM doesn't have to worry as much about that and has free reign to churn value this year for value+1 next year and stockpile picks. Even if nobody of significance is picked, he looks good doing that, but it only works if the team keeps winning ... and the Patriots keep winning, even that year they made Matt Cassell a star.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    True, but I've always thought that the reason teams prefer to trade future draft picks rather than current year's draft picks is that the GM and coaching staff knows they get value today and can help them keep their jobs today. Whereas if they do poorly it's simply less resources for the next guy to show them up, heh.

When you have a coaching staff that is consistently good like the Patriots, the GM doesn't have to worry as much about that and has free reign to churn value this year for value+1 next year and stockpile picks. Even if nobody of significance is picked, he looks good doing that, but it only works if the team keeps winning ... and the Patriots keep winning, even that year they made Matt Cassell a star.
    And if I were the owner I would take account of the fact that my General Manager is more interested in bleeding resources purely for the sake of keeping his job rather than for the good of the team. To me, that would be a fireable offense and I would let my General Manager know that when he was hired.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    at best Odrick is worth a 3rd rounder any year at this point.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ODRICK seems to have all of the "tools" to play DT. He strikes me as someone who could be in the style of STARKS. So why not try him i/s as back-up to STARKS, and occasionally (true passing situations) WITH STARKS? SOLIAI and RANDALL give us 2 BIG DTs. McDANIEL's the "wild card": pencil him in to do ANYTHING you want him to do. That's what he seems best at. I have NO PROBLEM AT ALL w/5 DTs, one of whom (ODRICK) can reasonably play DE. That leaves 3 roster spots for a true pass-rushing DE. One's already here: WAKE. But we need 2 more. THAT is what MIAMI should be looking to get done. Do that, and the entire "D" becomes a monster, waiting to devour anyone/everyone.

Don't create weaknesses/potential weaknesses out of either frustration or lack of insight. ODRICK should be MIAMI's "last resort" as a pass-rushing DE, and in my above scheme, he WOULD BE, and would mainly be playing where he'd likely be best-suited, and do the most damage to opponents.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Geez - another first round pick we are willing to trade so soon in their career? I think the guy is decent but I don't know that we'd even get a 2nd rounder for him.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin1972 Dolphins LogoJurassic WorldCam Wake 91
    DTs typically blossom later than most positions. Starks didn't have his first big year (2009) and he was 25-26 that season.

I'd hold on to Odrick. He has great physical ability and will get better. If that means letting Randy walk, that's fine.

This years draft is deep at DT and Ireland has shown he can find DTs via trade or Free Agency.

- Hall of Fame Safety Rod Woodson on Dan Marino playing in today's NFL:
    "...the best quarterback I believe is Dan Marino..."
    "If he played with these rules, he'd throw for 100,000 yards."

Twitter
    - https://twitter.com/ciscoholgate

Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why trade someone when we wont get someone better this season to start in his place? He is a good player and, like many said, would fit nicely inside if Starks (FA) does not return. Dline was a strength for us for many years, why waste it by trading him making another hole?

Mcdanials is a FA also if im not mistaken.
    Quote Quote