Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Down the Two Tennessee WR Prospects

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

Breaking Down the Two Tennessee WR Prospects

Have been catching up on some game tape over the past few days. Iíve finished my reports and grades on Tennessee, host to two of the highest upside receivers in the 2013 class.

Justin Hunter scored 7 touchdowns with a 25.9 yards per reception as a freshman on 2010. He started off the 2011 campaign hotter than any receiver in the nation prior to tearing his ACL in week against Florida. Tough break for such a talented athlete and his return to the field in 2012 was one of the biggest question marks that scouts were out to answer. Justin Hunter has a slight frame, going about 200 pounds and standing 6í4. Long arms and legs with big hands. I donít expect him to add weight/bulk at the next level, but an NFL weight training program will help his strength and presence on the field enough, so I donít see that being an issue. Hunter can explode off the line with a powerful first 2-3 steps. He is further along than most prospects when it comes to route running. Heís very aware that an effective press corner could out-muscle him any day, thus he has perfected the release with strong jab steps to gain initial separation. Once in the clear at the point of attack, Hunter will be most corners up the field. He tracks the ball very well and attacking the football with body control and effective timing has been a strength of his since his freshman season. If he had a more accurate quarterback at Tennessee, he would have been putting up far better numbers.
    Hunterís grade will take a hit in a few areas though. He is not effective after the catch. He is not a guy with a lot of wiggle and he shies from contact. He is a competitive athlete that will go after the ball over the middle, but he rarely fights to break tackles. In addition, Hunter is still raw. Not a lot of game experience in comparison to other prospects. His catching technique varies play-to-play, and he doesnít break back to the ball when running return routes. Hunter is one of the top deep threats in this class, but he wonít offer much as a short and intermediate receiver. I can see him having a similar impact as former Volunteers receiver Robert Meachem has had. Heíll make some coaches drool, but it will be up to him to become a more complete player through hard work.

The player that jumps out to me the most is
    Cordarelle Patterson. He spent one year at Tennessee after a couple years in junior college. If there is one receiver capable of breaking in to the top 10, it is Patterson. He possesses top tier physical ability across the board. He is a strong, well developed 6í3/208 pounder that shows the speed/acceleration/agility that no other receiver has in this class. Tough as nails over the middle and with the ball in his hand. He can run by anybody, shake out of tackles, and lower his shoulder to push the pile. Complete package after the catch. Patterson showed flashes of top-tier route running. The ability is there.
    At first glance, I was under the impression that Patterson took plays off and seemed rather lackadaisical at times. That could very well be the case, but I believe he may have been overused for the Volunteers. He was used on kick returns and in the rushing game in addition to a lot of motion before the snap, fake reverses, and deep passing routes. His speed and gamebreaking ability was the center of attention of most opposing defenses. Tennessee was very aware of that and sent him all over the field in an effort to divert defenders on plays where he was not given the ball. Patterson is a high effort player though. He tries hard and rarely leaves a yard out on the field. I look at teams in the top 10, and I notice a few that need a Patterson type on their offense. He plays a game similar to Percy Harvin but has more size and more agility. That is a scary combination if he is put in to the right scheme. Teams like the Jaguars (#2), Bills (#8), and Jets (#9) are all starving for playmakers. Patterson may not be a media-darling right now, but turn the tape on and watch how big of an impact he can have.
    http://www.gbnreport.com/breakingdownthedraft.html
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought this in particular was an interesting observation:

<>At first glance, I was under the impression that Patterson took plays off and seemed rather lackadaisical at times. That could very well be the case, but I believe he may have been overused for the Volunteers. He was used on kick returns and in the rushing game in addition to a lot of motion before the snap, fake reverses, and deep passing routes. His speed and gamebreaking ability was the center of attention of most opposing defenses. Tennessee was very aware of that and sent him all over the field in an effort to divert defenders on plays where he was not given the ball. Patterson is a high effort player though. He tries hard and rarely leaves a yard out on the field.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Finheaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really hope this guy gets to #12. His YAC and ability to make defenders miss are special. Add in the fact he is 6'3"...wow.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Patterson may very well end up as a top 10 pick. The combine will be telling.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can only imagine the hype if the kid runs fast at the combine.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its almost as if finheaven is telling ireland he better draft this kid or else! lol

He scored 5 TD's. I believe 3 came from end arounds and returns or something like that.

The thing no one and I mean absolutely no one talks about is route running. Can he run the route tree? because if he needs time in that regard, he will not be making the impact like everyone thinks.

And also, If we do get a Mike Wallace and resign Hartline, its just not likely at all we get someone raw like Patterson. I know its so hard for you finheaveners who get all wrapped up on one player and one player only. Its just not how one should approach the draft. You better have a bigger picture working than that.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Last night on NFL Network, the guy has him pinned to the Jets at 9 (or 10, I don't know what pick the Jets have :-))

I do not believe that Patterson is a great YAC receiver. But he can get behind defenders with ease, he is physical and tall enough to play the boundary WR, he can box out on short slants, and he can certainly run. So he is very versatile, and top notch in all those categories.
    Draft Wishlist:

1. Patterson WR
    2a. Da'Rick Rogers WR
    2b. Eric Reid/ Rambo FS
    3a. Tharold Simon CB
    3b. Chris Gragg TE
    4. Brandon Jenkins LB
    5. Cornelius Washington DE
    5/6. Vince Williams LB
    7. Onterio McCalebb RB
    7. Collin Klein QB

FA:
    Tyler Polumbus RT, Starks DT, Bush RB, Grimes DB, Avril DE
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't sense at all that everyone is getting all wrapped up in one player.

He scored 5 TDs receiving the ball. He scored 3 more running the ball, and 2 more TDs on returns.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland
    Thanks / No Thanks

Breaking Down the Two Tennessee WR Prospects

The biggest question that I have about Patterson is whether or not he can be an elite red zone weapon. Patterson clearly can make plays once the ball is in his hands. I just haven't red sen him high point the ball. That doesn't mean that he can't.

That's one of the reasons that Justin hunter intrigues me so much. The guy knows how to attack the ball in the air.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote