Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barry Jackson: Dolphins agree to referendum for stadium tax dollars

1. -41
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathStar View Post
    No more corporate welfare.

The citizens always get screwed with these public financing things...Never pays off studies have shown.

The worst part of these things are these owners heavily support the GOP who want less ordinary people welfare, and less government spending..But corporate welfare spending via government is okay...
    You have zero clue what the nature of business is. I own a business on 441, a state road. We moved to a bigger, better location on 441 and because we stayed within the city and on state road 7, and pay our fair share of taxes, we got $150,000 for the "beautification" of the city, and to help upgrade the exterior of our building. Those funds came from the state. Such is the nature of public/private partnerships. In 1 year, we pay twice that in taxes. The intersection where we operate is now flooded with businesses attempting to open, and old, run down buildings and land are being sought after because of the traffic that, in part, we helped generate to the area. All this creates additional tax revenue.

Local and state governments invest in worthy causes, and everybody wins. That's how business works.
    Last edited by dcnr226; 02-10-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't understand the referendum and how it's going to work. I'm trying to inform myself about THAT issue. The stadium renovation, and the public/private partnership, is common sense, win/win, etc.

I understand that you lack the capacity to argue the merits of your meritless argument. People like you are the problem down here. I'll leave it at that.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No more corporate welfare.

The citizens always get screwed with these public financing things...Never pays off studies have shown.

The worst part of these things are these owners heavily support the GOP who want less ordinary people welfare, and less government spending..But corporate welfare spending via government is okay...
    Please feel free to provide said studies. You seem to be very educated about this issue. And by very educated i mean you are completely, utterly clueless.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I don't mind being insulted. Fully expected it, in fact. When I'm in Las Vegas my friends and I trade insults every day. The difference is, there's a result at the end of the night. Often dozens of results. We can verify whose insult was warranted and whose was not. In vague cases like a stadium renovation, insults are meaningless, and frankly boring, because we'll see only one version. I'd like a new stadium. Others want the patchwork. Both won't happen.

You've got to concede, a two hour window around here without news like this prompting its own thread is highly unusual. I'd go so far as to label it bizarre. You can't be the only news poster because there's an award for it. So if I criticized anyone it was that block, the top five along with aspiring challengers.
    You like to mix vegas numbers into most discussions. Just curious , what are the odds you go back to rooting for the jets?
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnr226 View Post
    So you're fine with everything about the stadium except for the fact that at the end of the day, the Miami Dolphins and SunLife Stadium are businesses and, as businesses tend to do, they try to create revenue. Got it. Maybe we can just move the Dolphins to Lockhart give away free tickets field a CFL caliber team and pay those players strictly off TV money?

Quite actiing like that business is not clearing least least 25 million in profit every year. All business'e try to create revenue and its not like the dolphins dont get plenty of sweetheart deals from the local government like all sports teams but making us responsible to pay for a great majority of stadium repair is quite ridiculous. The NFL wants to bleed local economies of even more money to fix stadiums that they make almost all the money from. The dolphins would also be making like 10,000 more fans in revenue if they actually put out a winning team at some point , not to mention playoff revenue. But your right if a business can get a free handout they will take it
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeJam & Earl View Post
    I never understood him bringing Vegas into everyone of his posts. Are we supposed to be impressed?
    Maybe because he lives in Vegas lol. I would bring up El Paso where Im stationed now but el paso sucks and doesnt fit in any positive convo
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Barry Jackson: Dolphins agree to referendum for stadium tax dollars

Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Quite actiing like that business is not clearing least least 25 million in profit every year. All business'e try to create revenue and its not like the dolphins dont get plenty of sweetheart deals from the local government like all sports teams but making us responsible to pay for a great majority of stadium repair is quite ridiculous. The NFL wants to bleed local economies of even more money to fix stadiums that they make almost all the money from. The dolphins would also be making like 10,000 more fans in revenue if they actually put out a winning team at some point , not to mention playoff revenue. But your right if a business can get a free handout they will take it
    We have hope now in Tannehill and Philbin. Biggest offseason of our lives. Ross is rebranding the franchise. Stadium hopefully gets renovated..and yet I agree w you, winning is really what matters. But we are headed in the right direction, and no one can dispute that.

And btw, if ur 25 million in profit estimate is true, considering that Ross paid over a billion for the franchise, that's a pretty terrible investment by Ross. I'd hope he profits more than that. Maybe it really is a labor of love for him..
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We have hope now in Tannehill and Philbin. Biggest offseason of our lives. Ross is rebranding the franchise. Stadium hopefully gets renovated..and yet I agree w you, winning is really what matters. But we are headed in the right direction, and no one can dispute that.

And btw, if ur 25 million in profit estimate is true, considering that Ross paid over a billion for the franchise, that's a pretty terrible investment by Ross. I'd hope he profits more than that. Maybe it really is a labor of love for him..
    I said no less and investment is towards when he sells team because teams never sell for less than they are bought for. There is no labor of love for NFL owners its all about exposure and making money although yes a football team is definately not your best investment. He bought team above what value was considered at the time and Im sure he is hoping to get no less than 1.5 billion if and when he decides to sell. The cowboys are the most valuable team in the league at over 2 billion.

A big point of concern on this whole matter to me is that 235 million was spent to upgrade a few years ago and people still call it a dinosaur so why should we have faith 400 million will be money well spent. Sounds like a money pit or maybe just a bunch of bs to whats actually being spent
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Formerly Fiedler for MVP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    A van down by the river
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When did Hayden say that this town thought they owned the stadium? Either we vote to upgrade the stadium, and support Stephen Ross' ambitions to make the Miami Dolphins the class of the NFL again, or they don't. It's our choice now, unfortunately.
    When the Dolphins were the class of the NFL, Joe Robbie built a stadium without a dime of public money. Same with Mickey Arison, the class of NBA's Miami Heat, and American Airlines Arena. The city donated the land for both venues, that's more than enough for a privately owned facility.

"Ryan Tannehill out-Brady'ed Brady"- DanPatrick
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMarksBros. View Post
    When the Dolphins were the class of the NFL, Joe Robbie built a stadium without a dime of public money. Same with Mickey Arison, the class of NBA's Miami Heat, and American Airlines Arena. The city donated the land for both venues, that's more than enough for a privately owned facility.
    True people dont realize that the area of Miami has done plenty to help the dolphins over the years but people want to act like its our responsibility to pay for their costs of doing business
    Quote Quote