Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dolphins Dollars & Sense- Spending $30-35M in FA

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Yea wasnt trying to poo poo your numbers just was saying that guaranteed money is what makes these contracts churn
    No problem at all, and agreed. NFL contracts are not guaranteed other than stated in the deal. I was watching ESPN the other day with players saying that a long term contract is nothing more than something to make agents look good, and that very few players, if any, get to see what is scheduled to be paid in year 4 or 5. They either re-negotiate or are cut.

As you say, the only thing that matters is the guaranteed money, and the first 2-3 years of a deal.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Opps sorry SouthBeach i was 100% wrong. It comes from a different pool of money, but at the end of the day it's the same money.
    Still banging and laughing
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Miami View Post
    Opps sorry SouthBeach i was 100% wrong. It comes from a different pool of money, but at the end of the day it's the same money.
    LoM I'm trying to figure out what you're suggesting. The salary cap is composed of the top 51 salaries on the roster. $7mil is [allocated] for draft picks, but at least "half" of that $7mil is "estimated" as part of the top 51 salaries on the roster as the 1st round pick and say the 2nd rounders if not the 3rd rounders as well will be part of the top 51 salaries on the roster. So if Jimmy Wilson is still the backup say SS, his vet minimum will count and our 4th round pick won't. But our 1st round pick will definitely make more than the vet minimum of Jimmy Wilson for example.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Miami View Post
    No problem LOM, but the draft allocation does not come from anywhere other than a teams salary cap, and all teams MUST free up that space for their picks. I'm wondering if you may have been thinking about the practice squad players, which is a different deal.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    LoM I'm trying to figure out what you're suggesting. The salary cap is composed of the top 51 salaries on the roster. $7mil is [allocated] for draft picks, but at least "half" of that $7mil is "estimated" as part of the top 51 salaries on the roster as the 1st round pick and say the 2nd rounders if not the 3rd rounders as well will be part of the top 51 salaries on the roster. So if Jimmy Wilson is still the backup say SS, his vet minimum will count and our 4th round pick won't. But our 1st round pick will definitely make more than the vet minimum of Jimmy Wilson for example.
    Hey ED, I'm not quite clear on what you are saying, aside from the top 51 counting on the cap. Teams have to clear whatever cap space dictated by the NFL for the draft (around $7M here) to sign their picks, which now happens for all before camp begins.

Whatever happens in camp, happens before the final cut down. No way to know who will be on the final 51 before then, and no estimates are used. We may be saying the same thing differently, not sure based on your post.

A side question. I'm curious as to why you have not joined VIP, as I believe you are one of the better posters here.
    Quote Quote