Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Hartline seeks L.Robinson's 5yr 32.5mil

1. -71
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Nobody's saying that touchdowns are ALL about the receiver's talent though. But it certainly plays a part.

Brandon Marshall suffered a RELATIVE touchdown drought in Miami (emphasis on term 'relative') but he still scored literally more than 4x more touchdowns than Brian Hartline did over the same time period. Marshall scored 9 touchdowns in 2010 and 2011. That includes 6 touchdowns in 2011 when the offense got an upgrade on Henne at quarterback in Matt Moore. Over that time period Hartline scored 2 touchdowns, 1 each year. No increase in touchdowns when Moore took over. No increase in touchdowns when Tannehill took over, either.

The fact of the matter is if you look at targets and catches from 2002 to 2012, you get 367 wide receivers that qualify with either 60+ catches (2002 to 2005) or 100+ targets (2006 to 2012). Only 2 of those 367 wide receivers had a lower touchdown percentage on their catches than Brian Hartline did in 2012. That's it. Torry Holt in Jacksonville the year before he retired, and Laveranues Coles in Washington when Pat Ramsey was throwing the football.

And maybe you could even forgive that, IF he had shown a tendency to stick the ball in the end zone in previous years (as had both Holt and Coles). But in 2011 he had 1 touchdown and in 2010 he had 1 touchdown.

You could also forgive it IF you've seen the kind of physical ability that suggests he can do this regularly, and circumstances just worked against him. But that's not the case either. He's weak after the catch so he's not going to bull his way in from inside the 5 yard line the way Rishard Matthews did in the preseason, or the way a Hakeem Nicks does. He's not a strong catcher of the football in 50/50 or physically challenged catch situations, so no jump balls happening there. When he does get behind a defense, he gets caught from behind unless it is a ridiculously blown coverage (literally, see the Cardinals game).
    The.. TRUTH.

People don't realize that when you get high on mediocrity at skill positions, you are in effect banning playmakers from your team -- at that very position.

LD
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here's a depressing list,

The top 5 skill players drafted by Ireland (not counting 2012, too soon to tell):

1. Vontea Davis
    2. Reshad Jones
    3. Brian Hartline
    4. Sean Smith
    5. ??? (I can't even come up with a name here, Clemmons or Clay maybe?)
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I keep seeing how it would be terrible to lose Hartline because of the chemistry he had with Ryan Tannehill.

This doesn't make sense to me. What is the basis for this argument? To me if the two had a special chemistry together, it would've shown up in the end zone, where things are especially tight, everything happens more quickly, and so chemistry and being on the same page is a bigger part of the equation. Hartline and Tannehill didn't even work together until the regular season anyway. I don't think they got what they got together due to chemistry. I think Hartline is just a pretty good player at what he does, and Ryan Tannehill is a pretty good quarterback at what he does. Chemistry is something you would hope the two would improve upon significantly if you re-signed Brian Hartline.

But as things stand, I think Hartline is just too physically limited as a player to invest in with such a large amount of money. And since he's not very far along with Hartline from a "chemistry" standpoint anyway, I'd just assume bring in a Greg Jennings and have those two start working on their chemistry.

Yeah, I get it...Jennings is 29 years old. So was Anquan Boldin when the Ravens signed him in 2010.
    Not if you're Jeff Ireland, apparently.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Iced Earth: Dante's Inferno (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ScQ7SNeJg
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why would we sign a 6 yr contract to a WR that only scored 1 TD. Marshall was traded for 2 3rd round picks
    cause he kept dropping TDs and losign games for us. did the bears make the playoffs?
    If I sign Jennings or harvin and draft Patterson, why do I need hartline?
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Atila - the freshmaker.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just because he is seeking that much, doesn't mean he is going to settle for that.

If he came out and said, "I'd love to get what Laurent Robinson got but I'd realistically settle for $4mil/year." - how do you think his negotiations would go?

He wants $6.5mil/year and will probably settle for $5mil/year.

www.DiamondandDesign.com
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    DieHard FinFan 4 Life

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bear, DE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My ceiling for him $4.5 mil/yr as our #2 WR. If he doesn't like it, see ya later. Jennings and Patterson will be a great tandem.
    2013 Miami Dolphins Draft Class

1. DE: Dion Jordan -Oregon
    2. DB: Jamar Taylor -Boise State
    3. OG/T: Dallas Thomas-Tennessee
    3. DB: Will Davis-Utah State
    4. OLB: Jelani Jenkins - Florida
    4. TE: Dion Sims - Michigan State
    5. RB: Mike Gillislee-Florida
    5. K: Kaleb Sturgis- Florida
    7. S: Don Jones - Arkansas State
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Atila - the freshmaker.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinaticalOne View Post
    My ceiling for him $4.5 mil/yr as our #2 WR. If he doesn't like it, see ya later. Jennings and Patterson will be a great tandem.
    With all due respect, your ceiling really has no barring on how the negotiations go.
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    DieHard FinFan 4 Life

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bear, DE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atila View Post
    With all due respect, your ceiling really has no barring on how the negotiations go.
    LOL!!!! Really?!?!?! You start off saying "with all due respect" then you follow it up with a condescending remark like that. Who pissed in your cereal? This is a forum where fans post opinions, and the next time you wanna come off like an @$$, make sure you use the right words.
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Overpaying Hartline will mean we can't pay a real WR next year, or seriously draft another one, soon or sometime down the road because of salary cap or investment.

If Hartline wants that much money and a team is willing to pay $5 mil for a WR who got 1 touchdown all year on a fluke blown coverage play, then LET THEM.

**** Brian Hartline. For real. He is not even worth $5mil. I want him at 3mil. 4mil tops. Higher than that, he can go F himself.
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    DieHard FinFan 4 Life

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bear, DE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by electrolyte View Post
    Overpaying Hartline will mean we can't pay a real WR next year, or seriously draft another one, soon or sometime down the road because of salary cap or investment.

If Hartline wants that much money and a team is willing to pay $5 mil for a WR who got 1 touchdown all year on a fluke blown coverage play, then LET THEM.

**** Brian Hartline. For real. He is not even worth $5mil. I want him at 3mil. 4mil tops. Higher than that, he can go F himself.
    I know what you mean, but I think he would do better in the TD category IF we had a stud WR working the other half of the field. If we could sign him for $4 mil/yr, even better.
    Quote Quote