I hope the Phins find a way to trade down a time or grab another mid-round pick, but that's hard to predict, so I won't go that route. Instead, I've laid out what I'd do with the cap room and picks Miami has. There are a ton of ways they could go, and it's hard to predict what free agents are going to do because you can't make them sign here. I think Jairus Byrd and Michael Johnson get franchised, so I didn't consider them for us.
Here's one direction I'd go for the Phins and I like the way the team stacks up with this direction.
$44.561 million before any cuts/signings.
Mike Wallace- 5 years, $55 million, $28 million guaranteed. $7.4 million against cap. (Vincent Jackson signing as model)
Signing draft picks will take around $6.3 million.
Cut Richard Marshall. Saves $3.02 million.
Cut Dan Carpenter. Saves $2.70 million.
Dustin Keller- 5 years, $26 million, $15 million guaranteed. $5 million against cap. (John Carlson)
Restructure Dmitri Patterson to reduce salary by $1 million. He can be cut and save $4.3 million if not.
Derek Cox- 5 years, $44 million, $24 million guaranteed. $6.8 million against cap. (Cortland Finnegan)
Geoff Schwartz- 5 years, $22 million, $6 million bonus. $3.5 million against cap. (Mike Briesel)
Re-sign Nate Garner- 2 years, $3.0 million. $1.5 million against cap. (Anthony Collins)
Mike Goodson- 1 year, $2 million. $2 million against cap. (Peyton Hillis)
Glen Dorsey- 2 years, $5 million. $2.5 million against cap. (Amobi Okoye)
Let Sean Smith, Jake Long, Randy Starks, Reggie Bush, Brian Hartline, Chris Clemons walk.
Increases for Reshad Jones, John Jerry, Nolan Carroll based on playing time escalators of around $750k.
I don't think a mock is worth much without considering free agency, so this is what I would do after free agency with the picks.
12. Cordarelle Patterson- WR- Tennessee- Explosive WR to team with Wallace. Long, rangy athlete would fit well in WCO.
42. Tank Carradine- DE- Florida State- Maybe the best pass rusher in the class, he may not last to this pick. Iíd take Alex Okafor if heís gone already.
56. Jonathan Cyprien- S- FIU- Risky strategy letting Clemons go and not signing another S in free agency. Chance Cyprien is gone at this point, but a few Sís I like that could go later, namely Shamarko Thomas.
77. Jamar Taylor- CB- Boise State- This is the kid I like in this range for the CB class, but several other kids will be available in this area that fit our scheme.
82. Travis Kelce- TE- Cincinnati- Talented TE prospect who will compete with Egnew for the seam threat needed in this offense. Gavin Escobar amd Vance McDonald are candidates if Kelce is gone.
108. Xavier Nixon- T- Florida- Underrated kid who will compete to start at RT right away. I think he has a chance to be better pro than college player and can play G or T if needed and has the athleticism needed for zone blocking scheme.
140. Joe Kruger- DE- Utah- The Dolphinsí brass has made it clear they like Odrick in his role as a big, run stuffing DE who can slide inside on passing downs. Kruger has the strength and athleticism to fill a similar role and is an ascending, under-aged prospect with upside.
7a. Daxston Swanson- CB- Sam Houston State- Itís the 7th round and itís hard to say who will be here because it just takes one team to like a guy earlier than this, but Swanson has good feet and decent size. He has starter potential this late in the draft.
7b. Earl Watford- G- James Madison- Great fit in a zone blocking scheme, needs to add strength and will probably take a year or two before heís ready for big snaps.
In parenthesis is the player whose contract I used to estimate amount to sign. This leaves around $10 million for free agent signings/injury settlements, and several of the contracts can be structured to increase/decrease initial cap hit. I feel like this addresses the Phinsí needs and gives them some explosive weapons as well as a few upside shots on limited contracts in Dorsey, Goodson.