Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miami Dolphins are willing to let free-agent starters to walk

1. -1
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks

Miami Dolphins are willing to let free-agent starters to walk

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/0...stars-to-walk/

Below is my response to his article.

"Hartline is looking for somewhere near $7-8 million per season and I do not think the Dolphins will bite at that price".
    Reports were actually that Hartline would seek a similar type of deal that free agent Laurent Robinson got from the Jaguars last season, around five years and $33 million according to reports I've seen.

I also wouldn't say that Sherman was terrible. He was working with a rookie quarterback and an offense that had no weapons. Not to mention, the offensive line was patchy as usual. Though I will admit, John Jerry and Jonathan Martin did play decently for their inexperience.

This is from an article I wrote on December 11, 2012:
    "Miami's two leading receivers, Hartline and Bess, combine for 60 percent of the entire passing offense. Seattle's top-two receivers. Tate and Rice, combine for 44 percent of the passing offense. Let's look at more of the rookies and see how the numbers stack up.

The Colts' two leading receivers, Reggie Wayne and Donnie Avery, account for 51 percent of the passing offense.

Santana Moss and Leonard Hankerson of the Redskins? Just 31 percent.

Brandon Weeden's two leading receivers, Josh Gordon and Greg Little, account for 41 percent.

On a good note, both of Miami's top receivers have the opportunity to surpass 1,000 with three games remaining on the season. On the other hand, this is a startling number.

As can be interpreted from the numbers above, Miami essentially runs the passing offense through three players—Tannehill, Hartline and Bess. Miami's next leading receiver, Anthony Fasano, has just 233 yards—545 yards less than Bess.

The other four rookie quarterbacks? Their teams' third-leading receivers combine for a total of 350 yards behind the second man.

Take a minute and let that sink in.

It's difficult enough for rookie quarterbacks to enter the NFL and provide immediate production. Add a complete lack of weapons to that equation and you have a recipe for disaster. This may be a minor statement of defense for Ryan Tannehill, who has been inconsistent this season. However, given the stats provided, is there any doubt that Miami's lack of production from other players—in a TEAM sport —is absolutely appalling?"

The thing is, the majority of Miami's free agents will be easy for fans to let go of, as well as the team itself. I give Brian Hartline all the credit in the world, but great players have a knack for getting the ball in the endzone or making high-impact plays. $11 million for Jake Long is way too much money for a player that has no direct impact on the ball crossing the goal line. Yes, he may spring a block that helps the ball get there, but the ball is not in his hands.

$6 million (or from your findings, $7 million to $8 million) is too much money for a player that can't seem to find the endzone.

The NFL has shown that running backs are a dime-in-a-dozen. Miami has a guy in Lamar Miller that they believe can step up and make an impact. They have a runner in Daniel Thomas that, while relatively ineffective at times, did see the field. Signing Reggie Bush to a big contract wouldn't make a ton of sense for a team that appears to want to move on from the weight that is holding them down - both based on performance and contract.

Even for Sean Smith...while he may have grown up a little this season, he still played very inconsistently and never made those impact plays that can change the tide of a game. Miami's got $40 million + to dangle in free agency. Miami's also got five draft picks in the first three rounds of the draft.

Yeah, it's a change from what has been in Miami over the past half-decade, but it's time for this team to take the next step forward. Good teams know when players should be kept and when players should be let go. It's time Miami started operating with that mindset.

I think Miami, in the next two-to-three years, plans to make fans forget about guys like Sean Smith and Jake Long.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I read nothing wrong there
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Agree with your assessment. We should not have to pay for players who cannot score. There are a whole lot of players out there who cannot find the end zone. I mean look how many Parcells/Ireland and Mueller have found.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would attempt to sign Starks and Bush but I wouldn't be upset if we let them all walk. Upgrades are available via FA and the draft.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Starks is pretty much the only guy I want back, maybe Sean just to fill the hole. Let Bush Fasano and Hartline walk please.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Miami Dolphins are willing to let free-agent starters to walk

I've been a pretty harsh Ireland basher but IMHO letting everyone walk would be a stroke of genius IMO.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have been a defender of Hartline, but he must me smoking something funny if he thinks he's worth what he's asking. I thought they could re-sign him for 4-4.5/yr.
    He's a good role player to have on a team, but nothing more
    “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    just cause the jags overpaid Robinson doesn't mean we will do the same to hartline... get a clue Brian.. take what your really worth and stay a dolphin... a lot of fans like you here..

HOTTEST OWNERS IN THE GAME!!!
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For me the biggest thing about Hartline is he doesn't score - 1 TD per every 30.5 receptions. You have to produce in the Red Zone and he doesn't. If he agreed to 2-3 million per then yes, but nothing more.

I'd even be up for trading Bess.

Go after 2 of the big 3 FA's... pay them.. not our guys and draft a couple of young studs also... I'm a big fan of DeAndre Hopkins so I'd go after him in the 2nd. Trade Bess, you might get a 4th and look at Swope if he has an above average 3 cone drill [I question his quickness]

Also, I'd like to pick up 2 TE's from [Draft - Eifert, Ertz, Reed, Toilolo, FA's - Bennet] they are all targets and playmakers - make it happen!

Totally revamp this passing game - give the kid some targets - threaten the hell out of defenses, get them to back off and cover more of the field, 'should' also have a direct impact on the OL and the running game in a positive way.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    I am not sure people realize how much of a purge is going to happen with our own free agents.
    Quote Quote