Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miami Dolphins are willing to let free-agent starters to walk

1. -11
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree - they can all walk. I hope they get the big contracts they are seeking and we benefit with a few high compensatory picks next year.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    BIG_FISH_RI

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    I am not sure people realize how much of a purge is going to happen with our own free agents.
    I think so to. You MAY see Starks back but thats it.
    Long, Bush, Harline, Smith - no longer in a Dolphins uni.....
    I just get this feeling.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiNative0722 View Post
    Starks is pretty much the only guy I want back, maybe Sean just to fill the hole. Let Bush Fasano and Hartline walk please.
    I would keep bush for the right price...if we used him as a mismatch player he can be very good...

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm buying in to Coach Philbin so I take this news as a good thing. It's just another part of the purge to get the coaches "type" players onto the roster. Hopefully good fortune is on our side during the draft and FA. I am expecting steady improvement as personnel shifts towards the coaches philosophies.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That was a very good read. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    A very famous spit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Clearly all our free agents are of the 7-9 variety except for Bush and Starks. I'd also love to keep Fasano with a fair contract as a solid #2 and jettison a Mastrud.

We've backed ourselves into a corner with Smith. Trading Vontae on his rookie salary looks to be a terrible terrible move. Now we have to pay his backup top corner money because of the huge hole that would be left if allowed to walk. Ireland gave that moron all the leverage. Fortunately there are some decent veteran corners that are getting cut that could fill in. However those are 7-9 moves, Ireland's specialty.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ireland didnt give anyone leverage. he can let smith walk, sign a decent corner for fair price, then draft a cornerback with one of 2nd rd picks or 3rd and then focus next year on another corner. you can't get everything in one year. gotta make right moves and honestly the price tags of all these players i'd let walk. i definitely dont want bush back. hartline id resign at 3 yrs 12mil tops. hes not worth that much. smith is definitely not worth 8-10mil a year, fasano id resign only if he comes cheap otherwise bye bye. starks i'd resign if money is right otherwise bye! money would be better off spent on physical guys not soft players.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Hartline is a guy we must resign but he needs to come down on his terms. Him and Ryan had something going there thruout the year. I know Hartline hasnt scored as much as you would like but you really cant count playing with Henne against him..He was that bad and Miami was way more willing to settle for FGs then. The others I would let walk tho...Long is oft injured and just not that effective, Starks is good but he is too damn streaky and we need more pass rush on the interior of our line.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's early in the process. Players are going to try to get what they think they are worth, but asking prices early on are usually high. If the price is right, I'd keep Starks, Long, Bush and Hartline. I would definitely let Smith go. I'm not fearful that we can find an upgrade there.

Hartline had a nice year considering he was essentially used as the team's #1 receiver. With an upgrade next to him, Hartline can settle into a #2 role which is where he belongs. I like Bush, but it looks like the FO is going in another direction. How about a 1-year deal there? I believe Long will rebound and he is still a good player and a team leader.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    I am not sure people realize how much of a purge is going to happen with our own free agents.
    It's about time! This team has been mediocre at best for far too long. The only thing they've been consistent at is inconsistency. I'm tired of seeing them go toe-to-toe with an NFL heavyweight one week, only to lose to an NFL basement-dweller the next. They've been building an o-line for years and it's still a work in progress. The 2012 season's offense has been the worst I've ever seen from this team... including the 1-15 season. That said, the team does have its bright spots, such as a defense that is stingy allowing points even with a porous secondary. Hartline's uncanny ability to make impressive sideline catches is amazing, but if he can't score TDs then he's not worth big bucks. (I'd keep him at a fair price for a #3 WR.) Reggie is a question mark. He dances behind the line, but how much of that is on him, and how much was due to the o-line's blocking? Plus, Sherman was not very good at utilizing him to his full potential.

This team is full of players who can shine one week and look like garbage the next, and players who are starters but would be 2nd or 3rd stringers on a good team. IMO, there's only a handful of players on this team that could be considered quality starting material. So, if Philbin wants to gut the roster and rebuild the team with his own type of players what have they got to lose? Do I trust Philbin to put together a winning team? I have no idea, but how bad could it be? Personally, I'm against the West Coast and zone-blocking schemes, but that's what Ross wanted, so that's that. I have no faith in Mike Sherman at all, but maybe with better personnel he can call a decent game.
    Quote Quote