Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: I simply do not understand...

  1. -1
    fanfin's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2012
    Posts:
    1,808
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks

    SIGH I simply do not understand...

    why everyone wants Jake Long to leave. His play has suffered due to injuries and schematic changes but he is still a top 10 LT in the league and those guys don't grow on trees. Some of you talk worse about him than Marc Colombo! He is asking for 10M$ per season which isn't exactly breaking the bank. All we are doing by letting him go is creating ANOTHER need. If we cut Carpenter and either Richard Marshall or Dmitri Patterson we will have around 55 million in salary cap space! Why not spend 10 of that on Jake and we still have 45 million left for Greg Jennings, a TE, and a CB like Derek Cox
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Andyman's Avatar
    Canadian Fin Fan

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    686
    vCash:
    1820
    Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think you answered your own question. The difficulty is assessing whether his injuries will heal enough to have him return to 2010 form or if his body is just breaking down and will continue to do so.
    Andyman
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Zounds's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2005
    Posts:
    6,428
    vCash:
    5493
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I agree with keeping him, but it should be under $10 mill per season, and it should offer us a way out if his injuries continue.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Dolphins91's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2011
    Posts:
    155
    vCash:
    1109
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jake Long is a good LT. Problem is, he wants Elite Left Tackle money and that doesn't fit his description anymore. So yes, $10 million for any good player that's not a QB is breaking the bank. And if we cut Patterson or Marshall, we have to eat part of their salaries and still pay them their guarantee's, so you can't just get their salary and add it to available salary cap money. It's dead money that cannot be used.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    5,402
    vCash:
    1104
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fanfin View Post
    why everyone wants Jake Long to leave. His play has suffered due to injuries and schematic changes but he is still a top 10 LT in the league and those guys don't grow on trees. Some of you talk worse about him than Marc Colombo! He is asking for 10M$ per season which isn't exactly breaking the bank. All we are doing by letting him go is creating ANOTHER need. If we cut Carpenter and either Richard Marshall or Dmitri Patterson we will have around 55 million in salary cap space! Why not spend 10 of that on Jake and we still have 45 million left for Greg Jennings, a TE, and a CB like Derek Cox
    I've been trying to explain this to people since November, finfan. I've simply given up on them. It's common sense but some just don't seem to grasp it.

    And if I were Ireland, after re-signing Sean Smith, I'd restructure Dimitri Patterson's contract then cut Marshall and use the combined cap savings to sign Cox. This way I leave CB as a late round after thought and focus #12 on Patterson, Vaccaro, or Ansah.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    PhinsPhan11's Avatar
    Phins & Philly Sports

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2009
    Posts:
    12,152
    vCash:
    5052
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    At the right price, I'd like to have him back, but if he's asking for a ridiculous contract, then they should let him walk.

    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    5,402
    vCash:
    1104
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins91 View Post
    Jake Long is a good LT. Problem is, he wants Elite Left Tackle money and that doesn't fit his description anymore. So yes, $10 million for any good player that's not a QB is breaking the bank. And if we cut Patterson or Marshall, we have to eat part of their salaries and still pay them their guarantee's, so you can't just get their salary and add it to available salary cap money. It's dead money that cannot be used.
    I'm sorry but he's a perennial pro bowl LT and $10mil is "more" than reasonable for a perennial pro bowl LT. He's asking nowhere near Joe Thomas elite money, that's just made up propaganda. And that's his starting point at that, so he's showing willingness to negotiate. This he wants too much money is a bunch of bunk. All Ireland has to do is near match that $10mil, say $9.5mil and you keep him from hitting FA (where his price will go UP).
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Dolphins91's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2011
    Posts:
    155
    vCash:
    1109
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    I'm sorry but he's a perennial pro bowl LT and $10mil is "more" than reasonable for a perennial pro bowl LT. He's asking nowhere near Joe Thomas elite money, that's just made up propaganda. And that's his starting point at that, so he's showing willingness to negotiate. This he wants too much money is a bunch of bunk. All Ireland has to do is near match that $10mil, say $9.5mil and you keep him from hitting FA (where his price will go UP).
    Joe Thomas makes $10 million a season.

    "The Miami Herald reports free agent LT Jake Long is believed to be seeking at least $10 million annually, and that the Dolphins are "pessimistic" about their chances of re-signing him."
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    fanfin's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2012
    Posts:
    1,808
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    I've been trying to explain this to people since November, finfan. I've simply given up on them. It's common sense but some just don't seem to grasp it.
    The most ridiculous part of it all is their suggested replacements, drafting ANOTHER first round Offensive Lineman, or drafting a 3rd round RT and moving Martin to LT. Jake Long is a good player. You HAVE to keep good players.. Who would you rather give 10 million to: Jake or Sean Smith? There is no better example of Martin protecting Tannehills blindside being a complete failure then when against SF Aldon Smith bullrushed Martin and ran right through him and almost killed Tannehill. Also glad to see you added Ansah to your potential first round picks, even if there is an asterisk* there. LOL
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    5,402
    vCash:
    1104
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins91 View Post
    Joe Thomas makes $10 million a season.

    "The Miami Herald reports free agent LT Jake Long is believed to be seeking at least $10 million annually, and that the Dolphins are "pessimistic" about their chances of re-signing him."
    No, he doesn't. Joe Thomas makes $12mil a year. Not to mention $44mil guaranteed. Please stop it. Smdh.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-with-browns/
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. simply pathetic
    By samikit13 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 09:33 PM
  2. simply put
    By fanodan in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 11:15 PM
  3. Simply Overmatched
    By Dullfin in forum The Depths of the Sea
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-24-2003, 11:41 AM
  4. It's Simply Amazing
    By danephin in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 01:54 AM
  5. Simply Overmatched
    By Dullfin in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 05:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •