Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zach Ertz vs. Tyler Eifert: A Metrics Breakdown

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Numbers can always be useful to highlight a point, but useless in terms of making a point. I don't know of anywhere this holds more true than evaluating football talent.
    The joy of these statistics is that you can choose to use them any way you'd like. You're may also decide to eschew them completely in favor of film study. There is no wrong way to go about it. If you don't enjoy them or find them enlightening, as you have indicated through past posts in similar threads of mine, you are more than welcome not to read. I'm not here to tell people the right way to go about evaluating draft prospects, because everyone having different opinions from different information is half the fun.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NUGap View Post
    The joy of these statistics is that you can choose to use them any way you'd like. You're may also decide to eschew them completely in favor of film study. There is no wrong way to go about it. If you don't enjoy them or find them enlightening, as you have indicated through past posts in similar threads of mine, you are more than welcome not to read. I'm not here to tell people the right way to go about evaluating draft prospects, because everyone having different opinions from different information is half the fun.

Forgive me for not being more clear.

To the contrary, I enjoy the statistical/situational breakdowns in your posts. I find them interesting and the data useful to a degree. You are correct in that they can be used in any way of our choosing.

My point was exactly what my post read. Numbers are always useful to highlight a point, but ineffective in making one.

I'm experienced in passing up threads that I find useless or irrelevant.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Forgive me for not being more clear.

To the contrary, I enjoy the statistical/situational breakdowns in your posts. I find them interesting and the data useful to a degree. You are correct in that they can be used in any way of our choosing.

My point was exactly what my post read. Numbers are always useful to highlight a point, but ineffective in making one.

I'm experienced in passing up threads that I find useless or irrelevant.
    Fair enough. My "be defensive" ability, if it were a football attribute would be elite. Also "jumps to conclusions" attribute would be 1st round talent. Ok too many draft metaphors now. Enjoy future posts.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    make sure you add in vance mcdonald to your 2nd tier te study...that's a kid that's gonna go higher than people think and i really like...got a lot of gronk in him...

3rd te off the board...

i know those rice metrics won't mean squat but i'd still like to see his stuff...
    For sure, you're about the third person who has asked about McDonald, so I'll definitely try to include him. Will his numbers be comparable to Eifert's? No, but it'll be something. I have a feeling with the amount of time until the draft, I'll be up to the 4th or 5th tier on some of these positions.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    I have a hard time buying into the metrics of football. I do know that I like Ertz better and Eifert looked overmatched vs. Alabama.
    they put milliner on him. why do you think they would put their best cb on a TE? cus he was the man.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Eifert did everything he could against Bama. You can't fault that he had poor QB play due to inexperience of gholston and that they were outmatched in the trenches against a stacked front 7. You put a competent QB in for ND and I bet Eifert double his output. I'm a huge canes fan and hate ND but would love to see Eifert on the Dolphins.

I do know that the Bears are definitely interested in him with their 1st round pick. Once he runs sub 4.75 at the combine he will lock himself in as a late 1st rounder.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    One on one against the best CB in the draft I felt he gave a very good account of himself against Alabama.
    I thought he was overmatched and a step slow vs. that entire Alabama D.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Canandaigua,NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Is Jack Doyle gonna be in the 2nd or 3rd tier?...I like him as a late rd pck or a UDFA.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hayden Fox, point to specific plays or instances to support your statement that Eifert and not the rest of the ND offense was overmatched and a step slow.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cane6 View Post
    Hayden Fox, point to specific plays or instances to support your statement that Eifert and not the rest of the ND offense was overmatched and a step slow.
    I'm not seeing Eifert as overmatched here. I see him going at it with Milliner a bit (both making plays) and taking on tacklers after the catch. And yea, cane6, his QB was a skittish wreck for most of the game, bailing out of the pocket and running around in a game that was a blowout.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHweQiUlNA

Hayden, I find it kind of odd that you're focused so hard on this one game Eifert played in which the competetiveness was out of hand well before halftime. And it's pretty off-putting to come into a metrics thread, say you don't buy into metrics, and just name your guy and refuse to enter discussion or acknowledge the work the OP did. No one here is claiming that metrics alone tell you who the better player is (that's crazy); it's just one of many pieces of evaluation.

In general I'm torn between the two TEs if I had to pick one. I like them both about the same at this point, so threads like these that give another angle are helpful. Nicely done, NU.
    Last edited by Twitches Brew; 02-13-2013 at 01:26 AM.
    Quote Quote