Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What if We Strike Out on All Three WR?

1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sirvmac View Post
    If we strike out on all 3, it will be a Huge blessing in disguise for us.
    Trade a 2/3 to move up in the first.
    Draft Patterson And Hunter with our firsts. Get Trufant and Rambo in the 2/3 rounds.
    Use our cap space everywhere else but wr.

Now we will have 2 stud wr's. On rookie contracts too.
    We will have all that cap space to do other things.

Now I know this plan, may not be able to fix all our holes as well as other plans.
    I just feel, trying to overextend by trying to fix all the holes in our team in this one offseason, all that will end up happening is we will end up having a bunch of mediocre/mid range type of guys.
    Leading us further down the path of mediocrity.

I rather go all out and fix this wr issue asap, we can't risk stunting Tannehill either, which makes wr the biggest need imho this year.
    So I say, go overboard, and turn our wr weakness into our strength.
    Then let's proceed from there.
    We will have more money too by not blowing it on the FA wr's.
    I think the sentiment here is spot on. The players and positions by round I'm here-or-there on, but you hit a lot of key points, and I think you're on the right side of all of them. It's better to be really good at one or two things than mediocre at everything.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    very possible we get outbid on all 3 and if hartlines still on the market he's the fallback option...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quite frankly, knowing our recent history, it almost seems like a foregone conclusion that we WON'T get any premier FAs, but it's just too easy to be that negative with what's been happening. I think if a mistake is made, or should I say, an arrangement that's less desirable, than I think it would be us getting the guy that our fanbase is less encouraged about, like Bowe, for instance.
    Bowe just screams 'Marshall redux (all those negatives)', doesn't he? I don't think that would be a problem though. I just don't see us having the kind of air of incompetence that lingered over the Sparano administration towards the end, which really fed into Brandon Marshall's bi-polar chaos. I think if we did get Bowe then he'd be OK but his drops would drive us nuts. All the players have '+s and -s' that we'd have to deal with. All we can do is hope for the best.

A reality check, though, is this: If we don't get the FA's we need, then our whole approach to this season has to radically change. If we get the FAs, then we make an effort to win this season, but if we don't then we're much better off selling veterans, stockpiling draft picks, and trying again next year, keeping our cap low for the 2014 offseason. It would be very disappointing but it's best to maximize the situation.
    Worse-case scenario would see us completely failing to upgrade the veteran talent with impact players, over-paying for bums, and relying on drafted players to make us better in 2013 an that's just a recipe for 7-9 or worse. If we strike out in FA, then we must plan for 2014, period.
    For us, it wouldn't be the worst thing, as this would surely mean the death of Jeff Ireland as our GM. If his stench or stigma repulses free agents again then he has to be jettisoned, and maybe even Ross would see that.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O-town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtiv View Post
    Quite frankly, knowing our recent history, it almost seems like a foregone conclusion that we WON'T get any premier FAs, but it's just too easy to be that negative with what's been happening. I think if a mistake is made, or should I say, an arrangement that's less desirable, than I think it would be us getting the guy that our fanbase is less encouraged about, like Bowe, for instance.
    Bowe just screams 'Marshall redux (all those negatives)', doesn't he? I don't think that would be a problem though. I just don't see us having the kind of air of incompetence that lingered over the Sparano administration towards the end, which really fed into Brandon Marshall's bi-polar chaos. I think if we did get Bowe then he'd be OK but his drops would drive us nuts. All the players have '+s and -s' that we'd have to deal with. All we can do is hope for the best.

A reality check, though, is this: If we don't get the FA's we need, then our whole approach to this season has to radically change. If we get the FAs, then we make an effort to win this season, but if we don't then we're much better off selling veterans, stockpiling draft picks, and trying again next year, keeping our cap low for the 2014 offseason. It would be very disappointing but it's best to maximize the situation.
    Worse-case scenario would see us completely failing to upgrade the veteran talent with impact players, over-paying for bums, and relying on drafted players to make us better in 2013 an that's just a recipe for 7-9 or worse. If we strike out in FA, then we must plan for 2014, period.
    For us, it wouldn't be the worst thing, as this would surely mean the death of Jeff Ireland as our GM. If his stench or stigma repulses free agents again then he has to be jettisoned, and maybe even Ross would see that.
    No...Bowe does not scream Marshall redux. Yes Bowe has dropped some passes (only dropped 5 last season) but he does not have the locker room or off the field issues that Marshall had.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Anchorage, AK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antillj94 View Post
    If we do then tough titty. We missed out on Peyton Manning last year and that seems to be for the best in my opinion.
    Haha you're kidding right?
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    this might happen it happen last yr this is best question of month
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Pay the man!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennyslvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If this happens I expect a new regime in 2014.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Starting to hear voices

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    I think the sentiment here is spot on. The players and positions by round I'm here-or-there on, but you hit a lot of key points, and I think you're on the right side of all of them. It's better to be really good at one or two things than mediocre at everything.
    that is what bugs me about trading down in the draft. i want the great player rather than two good ones. i think you are right.
    JMB
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    very possible we get outbid on all 3 and if hartlines still on the market he's the fallback option...
    Awesome fallback option.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Conducting From the Grave: The Rise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQ2aKgXafw
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical Limit View Post
    We won't strike out. Jennings to Miami is a lock. Only one who can screw that up is Ireland, and that should make everyone nervous.

I think Jennings is a lock too, but it seems a lot of people around here are obssessively focused on the GM.

If another, more desperate team throws truckloads of money at Jennings he will sign somewhere else. Ireland is not as much a factor as many people seem to think he is.
    Quote Quote