Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jake long and Miami staying married

1. -21
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good point about the franchise tag there ^^^^. If you signed him to a multi-year deal, you still have to figure the signing bonus. I just don't see how you could avoid keeping him and paying him less than 15 million dollars THIS YEAR, even if the signing bonus doesn't count against the cap. The signing bonus is really the only guaranteed money the player gets beyond the first year salary. In year 2 the player could get cut and the rest of that contract is just toilet paper to wipe his buttocks with.

If you let Long walk, you let him walk because you truly don't believe he can play well anymore. He wouldn't take a one year deal so a huge signing bonus would be the discussion.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jonathan Martin was a good draft pick. For years we have lived in fear of what could happen if Big Jake missed games through injury. And it happened at the tail end of last season and Martin handled the responsibility pretty well. Long is a good O lineman but his best days appear to be behind him. I expect JI to let him walk.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Long is going to want his money up front, especially with his injured past. No chance he signs something back loaded, and why would we want to? Suppose he's so injury ridden he hardly plays. You want a bunch of money taking up cap space to pay a guy to wear a suit and eat pretzels in the press box? No thanks.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannchise View Post
    a one-year fix with the franchise tag seems the prudent thing to do. we have a ton of holes, esp at WR and DB. no sense in losing your LT and getting your developing 2nd year qb killed. where this gets sketchy is the true eval of his health.
    $15.36 million a year for Jake Long will never be prudent
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PBay Fin Fan View Post
    Keep showing his greedy little agent the play where he is totally blown up by Meriman over and over. Throw in freney eating his lunch.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I remember some of these same issues with Richmond Webb in 2001 when he was a FA. The Phins let him walk and spent the next six years (and about 6 different guys) trying to replace him, mostly with disastrous results.

I don't think we should be so quick to give up on a guy who has provided stability at a position that was clearly lacking stability until he got there.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finforlife View Post
    I remember some of these same issues with Richmond Webb in 2001 when he was a FA. The Phins let him walk and spent the next six years (and about 6 different guys) trying to replace him, mostly with disastrous results.
    Do you remember what Webb did after leaving the Dolphins?
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You really need to change the title of this thread and not have it stating like a fact that this has happened.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiron View Post
    Do you remember what Webb did after leaving the Dolphins?
    Webb was 4 years older than Long. My point is that when you have something that's working, I don't know if you should mess with it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finforlife View Post
    Webb was 4 years older than Long. My point is that when you have something that's working, I don't know if you should mess with it.
    That's just it. It's NOT working. He is not an elite LT anymore. He made a lot of money from this team prior to the rookie pay scale. He was more than well compensated. As far as I'm concerned he should pay some of that money back for his play the last 2 yrs. I know that will never happen, but he should be realistic in his current contract negotiation. I doubt any team will pay him an 8 figure annual salary.
    If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
    Quote Quote