Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: If there is one player we should not bring back, its Hartline

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

If there is one player we should not bring back, its Hartline

I understand he had the best season out of all our free agents but hear me out.

• If you want one of the big 4 (Jennings, Wallace, Bowe, Harvin) AND a receiver in the first 3 rounds, we CANNOT bring back Hartline.

If you bring him back, you aren't going to give another big contract to another receiver and draft one in the early rounds. You might do one or the other but not both. The more likely choice would be Hartline and a rookie becauase you wouldn't want to dedicate so much money to the position. But lets say for some crazy reason Ireland pays Hartline and one of the big 4, I GUARANTEE you we won't draft a rookie in the first 3 rounds to split snaps with Hartline for 4-5 years.

• If you bring him back, it will be for 6+ million and that is way overpaying, limiting what else we can spend at the position.

This is reiterating what is said in the first paragraph. If you spend that much money on Hartline, you won't be able to do both of drafting and getting one of the big 4. You can do one, but not both. Point being it will take too many assets to the position and you'd have to be splitting snaps.

The Solution

• Let Hartline walk, go get one of the big 4, preferably Jennings or Harvin, (Jennings because he fits the scheme and is worth the money he is expected to get, Harvin because he is 24, mvp candidate before getting injured, and is worth the 10 million hes asking), and DRAFT a rookie to play opposite your big 4 receiver.

If you bring back Hartline, you won't be able to do both these things in the solution, plus we would be overpaying for Hartline who is not a redzone threat.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who said we're going to overpay for Hartline? Also as I recall most people usually freak out when we have players who hit the open market, remember when y'all thought Soliai was going to get a huge contract? Did he get one?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chicago
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kvado16 View Post
    Who said we're going to overpay for Hartline? Also as I recall most people usually freak out when we have players who hit the open market, remember when y'all thought Soliai was going to get a huge contract? Did he get one?
    He did, Denver was waiting for him to arrive there, I think there was an actual flight booked.
    It was by sheer grace that luckily we have a guy of Soliai's character, who turned down their higher offer to stay here.
    This is against the norm, and even more reason why Soliai is the MAN!!!

Anyways though, Hartline is nowhere near the caliber player Soliai is.
    Let Hartline walk. We won't be true contenders with him as our #2, imo at least.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let our 2nd best offensive player walk when you can re-sign him at a reasonable price? That's thinking.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Canadian Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Etuoo33 View Post
    Let our 2nd best offensive player walk when you can re-sign him at a reasonable price? That's thinking.
    The reasonable price though, that's the key.
    Andyman
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etuoo33 View Post
    let our 2nd best offensive player walk when you can re-sign him at a reasonable price? That's thinking.
    that's the problem
    he's the second best offensive player....................2 tds in the last 42 games
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Anchorage, AK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Etuoo33 View Post
    When there's much better options out there, yes, it is thinking. Look I love Hartline, but if we could get a Jennings or a Harvin AND draft a receiver that can be better than Hartline? Sounds like a good deal to me.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'd keep Hartline.

As to the "Big 4" ... As far as I'm concerned it's the "Big 3" - I want nothing to do with that headache Harvin.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiNative0722 View Post
    I understand he had the best season out of all our free agents but hear me out.

• If you want one of the big 4 (Jennings, Wallace, Bowe, Harvin) AND a receiver in the first 3 rounds, we CANNOT bring back Hartline.

If you bring him back, you aren't going to give another big contract to another receiver and draft one in the early rounds. You might do one or the other but not both. The more likely choice would be Hartline and a rookie becauase you wouldn't want to dedicate so much money to the position. But lets say for some crazy reason Ireland pays Hartline and one of the big 4, I GUARANTEE you we won't draft a rookie in the first 3 rounds to split snaps with Hartline for 4-5 years.

• If you bring him back, it will be for 6+ million and that is way overpaying, limiting what else we can spend at the position.

This is reiterating what is said in the first paragraph. If you spend that much money on Hartline, you won't be able to do both of drafting and getting one of the big 4. You can do one, but not both. Point being it will take too many assets to the position and you'd have to be splitting snaps.

The Solution

• Let Hartline walk, go get one of the big 4, preferably Jennings or Harvin, (Jennings because he fits the scheme and is worth the money he is expected to get, Harvin because he is 24, mvp candidate before getting injured, and is worth the 10 million hes asking), and DRAFT a rookie to play opposite your big 4 receiver.

If you bring back Hartline, you won't be able to do both these things in the solution, plus we would be overpaying for Hartline who is not a redzone threat.
    I think the thing people on here seem to forget is that Philbin nor Ireland seem to like drafting wide receivers early, and with reason. Draft size or cornerbacks early, positions where talent makes a bigger difference. Wide receivers are so hard to evaluate in college...we drafted 3 late (Fuller, Cunningham, Matthews) and only 1 stuck. But of those 3, the coaching staff seems excited about Rishard Matthews.

It's more about guys who can get seperation and catch the ball consistently. The splash we will make in free agency at wide receiver will be half PR, half football move. But it makes sense to pay a proven guy over a question mark.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O-town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnr226 View Post
    I think the thing people on here seem to forget is that Philbin nor Ireland seem to like drafting wide receivers early, and with reason. Draft size or cornerbacks early, positions where talent makes a bigger difference. Wide receivers are so hard to evaluate in college...we drafted 3 late (Fuller, Cunningham, Matthews) and only 1 stuck. But of those 3, the coaching staff seems excited about Rishard Matthews.

It's more about guys who can get seperation and catch the ball consistently. The splash we will make in free agency at wide receiver will be half PR, half football move. But it makes sense to pay a proven guy over a question mark.
    Just out of curiosity...how do you know Philbin doesn't seem to like drafting wide receivers early?
    Quote Quote