Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vernon Ready To Build On Solid Rookie Campaign

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

Vernon Ready To Build On Solid Rookie Campaign

Miami native made big strides on defense and special teams.

Olivier Vernon felt right at home the moment he showed up for the Miami Dolphins’ rookie minicamp last May. That’s because he was home, just a short drive from his parents’ house and close to where he starred at the University of Miami.

By season’s end, the rookie defensive end who was taken with the first of two third-round picks in the 2012 NFL Draft showed enough promise as a pass rushing defensive end and a solid special teams contributor to earn praise from his teammates and coaches alike. His speed and athleticism paid dividends in the form of 3.5 sacks, a forced fumble and 32 tackles (25 solo) and he feels like he only scratched the surface.

“I learned a lot during the season as a rookie and I know there’s more that I can learn about and I can continue to grow,” Vernon said. “Everybody says your biggest jump is from your first to the second year so I want to exceed expectations, especially for myself.”

There was a clear method to defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle’s decision to have Vernon shadow veteran defensive end Cameron Wake early on and the coach and the player understood that method. Wake and Vernon are similar in build and share a similar skill set, primarily a quick first step off the line of scrimmage.
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/ar...9-1692bfb25072
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    League Dominator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St. Pete Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He was rolling last year but eventually hit the rookie wall. I'm excited to see what he can do this year. He's very talented.
    Jets suck, Bills suck, Patriots suck.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    shows potential to be a pretty good-to good player... I like him for depth and special teams and as a situational pass rusher.. needs to add a pass rush move or two and a counter off of that.. needs to square up his pads in the run game and not run upfield, but he is very raw having only played for a few years. Was a star on special teams, but besides the 2 plays against the rams to end the game, didn't show me a whole lot on defense
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Those two plays against the Rams were pretty special. I really like the potential of this kid. He will at least double his sacks next year.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When I look at Vernon, I think David Bowens. Some of the younger fans will not know who that is, but I see Vernon as ultimately a situational pass rusher. Maybe he can elevate his game to bring an every down player, but at this time I am not seeing it.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I also heard Wake was gonna be teaching Vernon a lot in the Off season which is very good and we wont have to spend a 1st rd pick on a DE
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    League Dominator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St. Pete Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKphin View Post
    When I look at Vernon, I think David Bowens. Some of the younger fans will not know who that is, but I see Vernon as ultimately a situational pass rusher. Maybe he can elevate his game to bring an every down player, but at this time I am not seeing it.
    Bowens was solid but I think Vernon has a higher ceiling.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great guy to have on your team. Didn't see a lot to make me especially hopeful of his prospects as a pass rusher. Too often, he doesn't make an O-lineman commit. He doesn't pressure and counter or even really pressure the OT. Good pass rushers attack the outside leg, and if the OT overextends himself, the pass rusher counters. Kind of like Misi, Vernon is just a bull rusher at this point. He runs right into the chest of the OT and tries to work from there. Not a recipe for success in the NFL. For whatever reason, this seems to be something a player either has or doesn't have. I think Vernon has more pop to his get-off and more pop in his hands than Misi, so I think he has a better chance of developing into a successful hand-in-the-dirt pass rusher, but I still don't love his odds.

But, again, he's a great player to have on the team. Does a lot of things well.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    DieHard FinFan 4 Life

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bear, DE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SQuinn17 View Post
    Bowens was solid but I think Vernon has a higher ceiling.
    Yeah, I agree with this statement. David Bowens was a pretty good situational player, but Vernon has the potential to be an every down player.
    2013 Miami Dolphins Draft Class

1. DE: Dion Jordan -Oregon
    2. DB: Jamar Taylor -Boise State
    3. OG/T: Dallas Thomas-Tennessee
    3. DB: Will Davis-Utah State
    4. OLB: Jelani Jenkins - Florida
    4. TE: Dion Sims - Michigan State
    5. RB: Mike Gillislee-Florida
    5. K: Kaleb Sturgis- Florida
    7. S: Don Jones - Arkansas State
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This guy is a football player and I want him starting somewhere on defense in 2013, if he can't hack it as a DE then put him at linebacker. Him running down Spiller was one of my favorite plays from last season.
    Quote Quote