Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vernon Ready To Build On Solid Rookie Campaign

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKphin View Post
    When I look at Vernon, I think David Bowens. Some of the younger fans will not know who that is, but I see Vernon as ultimately a situational pass rusher. Maybe he can elevate his game to bring an every down player, but at this time I am not seeing it.
    Heh... Bowens played for us until 06... it wasn't that long ago. A fair comparison otherwise, thus far anyways.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    vernons more explosive than david bowens...

i see the comparisons in some regards with cam wake...vernons got a plus get off of the ball real strength in his hands and a power player...he lacks wakes ankle flexion and rush arsenal though...kinda a one trick pony right now but he can redirect and disengage and close on the ball well...has better hips than wake as well...but needs a lot of polish and to develop a counter rush move...

i like his potential
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMO, he should be learning how to play OLB in 3-4 sets. Our defense should become a hybrid beast. I believe we already have the personnel to run a complex defense and with all the draft picks and cap space we could easily get the right guys.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    David Bowens was a much more natural pass rusher than Olivier Verson. Bowens had his head up and eyes in the backfield. He wasn't the most explosive guy but he could sense when he needed to alter angles and speed. He was particularly effective when the quarterback was flushed to the left. The tackle wouldn't sense what was going on and Bowens made a quick decisive adjustment, picking up quite a few cheap sacks.

Vernon is more of a hand fighter. He's stronger than Bowens with a much better frame but too often his head is down and he merely wrestles with the tackle. By the time he disengages, if ever, it's too late. Bowens had rare instincts, which enabled a career much longer than his ability suggested.

Vernon was surprisingly effective on special teams. I didn't expect that since it wasn't his forte as a Cane.

I had big hopes for Olivier Vernon a few years ago, when he wore #35 for the Canes and looked like a lean menace. The mere look at his frame and wiry strength and chippy attitude suggested a guy who could get around the corner and wreck havoc. I envisioned him swatting the ball away, and frequently. It's never fully panned out that way, not even close. Every season he seems to have one or two big games against vulnerable opponents but otherwise disappear.

Wrestling was yanked from the Olympics but I doubt it will leave Vernon's repertoire. Whenever I watch him, that's what he's doing. Nice player who will probably stick around quite a while but I'd be shocked if he becomes a prominent rush end.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    good point about vernons head being down...never even really thought about that...needs to rush more with his head up so he can follow the play better
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Where was this quick first step that was mentioned? I see him at LB, I don't believe he has the skill set to get around the corner. Hope he proves me wrong.
    Quote Quote